Fight like a .... coward?

monkey_man

Jul 5, 2009
Does a broken nose or cracked rib cost you more or less than 10 quid? And do you considering having them a virtue or a nuisance?
Fck 10 Quid I say, I hate physical discomforts. I have enough self inflicted idiotic injuries already. Like stubbing your toe, biting your nails too much, bumbping into sharp or hard surfaces etc.
haha Captcha is Oh, Lord

Jaime_Wolf

Jul 17, 2009
BiscuitTrouser said:
So today i was robbed. Yay. In fact less than 30 mins ago i was robbed. Just made it home. In all fairness i only lost 10 pounds, I kept my very visible bike and phone, hell i wasnt even threatened with a weapon or even with threats of harm. But somehow he walked off with my 10 quid... it didnt go ANYTHING like i imagined being robbed would be like. Even everything he did (yep robbed by a single guy while on a bike, he stepped out and made me swerve off to stop me) was really odd and caught me off guard. All those casual daydreams in which you fight them off or leg it and tell a heroic tale were pretty much worth jack shit.

And it made me think. Ive seen this websites responses a few times "Id fight 40 men with krav maga and live to tell the tale as a true ninja" in regard to pretty much any scenario such as mine.

I want this guy punished, but i have no details other than "black, a bit taller than me, black jacket". The injustice makes me feel... that horrible feeling when something jarring and suddenly crap happens to you. You know the feeling.

Have you ever been robbed? And honestly. HONESTLY. In any situation like mine, without even a visible weapon, any threats and no number advantage would you fight a man slightly taller than you one on one for 10 pounds? Was what i did cowardly? I honestly dont know what to think here. Im not angry at all about the 10 pounds, more about the outrage of what happened. Im 17. I guess hes about 20-25.

EDIT: Running not really an option, on the bike i can go forward into him pretty lightly or backward slowly as hell. Or make an awkward turn. And i was not gonna leave my bike.
You did exactly the right thing. Fighting people like that is stupid for a variety of reasons. For one, you don't know whether he actually did have a weapon (legally and practically, it makes sense not to pull one out until you absolutely need to when robbing someone). More importantly, you are probably not a great fighter. Have you been in a fight before? People who rob people tend to be the sort of people who get into fights. So he had height, likely significant muscle given the age difference, and almost assuredly fighting experience on you. Giving him a paltry ten pounds doesn't mark you as a coward so much as it avoids marking you as a complete imbecile.

TL;DR: Discretion is the better part of valour.

Alssadar

Sep 19, 2010
I'm a skilled marksman and bloodthirsty warrior on the internet/video games.
If I get robbed, I'll be as docile as a panda and I'll give them what they want.

Aug 25, 2009
In your situation, I'd probably have fought for it. I do know how to fight, and one on one I'd probably favour my odds. Probably after having made as if to give him the money, nice way to distract someone.

But if there was a weapon, or two men, or any other situation than just one person, I wouldn't fight. Just not worth it.

Haha, Captcha: 'Know your rights.'

Lead Herring

Mar 14, 2011
JB1528 said:
I'm sorry but I just have to call this cowardly. I guess I just have too much pride because I would rather take an asswhoopen rather than get robbed, punked, or "bitched".

Many people are saying you did the smart thing, and while thats's true you also chose the most cowardly option point blank period. And if your okay with that then that's you, but I personally would've hated myself for it. I've been in situations where I was confronted by two guys at once and I even in a situation where I fought a man who was easily twice my size and I never backed down. The only way he would've got me to back down was if he pulled a gun.

OP in all honesty I would have respected you if you made this thread talking about how you got beaten up by an unarmed male trying to rob you, but instead you get no respect from me. I know losing respect from some random guy on the internet doesn't mean shit to you, but damn man, you acted like a coward.
Why exactly do males have the responsibility to fight for their pride, where as a woman would be encouraged to run away? Cause lets face it, if a girl made this post no one would be insinuating that she was a coward. Relative strength doesn't even factor into the equation as you have pointed out that you would have fought a guy double your size. And hey his cowardice cost him 10 bucks, but loosing the fight would have cost him his bike.

TonyVonTonyus

Dec 4, 2010
Abandon4093 said:
If it was true, you were controlled by fear. Adrenaline, heat of the moment etc. If what you say happened. You didn't quell your fear and use your brain. you didn't stop for a second and find the most logical course of action.

Being brave isn't charging into a hopeless situation because you have some childish view of manliness or something.

It's standing up for a worthy cause even though you're afraid to do so.

If there is no chance of winning and there was another way out. Then it wasn't bravery, it was just plain stupidity.
It seemed like a worthy cause to me. Standing up against those that would threaten because there were more of them. I wasn't doing it for bravery, I wasn't doing it for glory, I was doing because I thought it was right, you obviously think it was stupid. We've been arguing what I think is right and what you think is stupid? Can we stop arguing now because I really have more important things to do than have a flame war with someone on the internet who has nothing better to do.

Dr Snakeman

Apr 2, 2010
Ten pounds? That's like... twenty bucks, right? I'm flat broke, so hell yeah I'd fight him!

In all seriousness, though, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't just give him money. At the very least, he'd have to hit me first. I mean, if he isn't armed, and there's only one of him, I'm not just going to lie down and take it.

Of course, I've never been mugged before, so I'm not really speaking from experience. I like to think I'd be brave in this kind of situation, but I can't really know until I actually get mugged.

BiscuitTrouser

Elite Member
May 19, 2008
Dr Snakeman said:
Ten pounds? That's like... twenty bucks, right? I'm flat broke, so hell yeah I'd fight him!

In all seriousness, though, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't just give him money. At the very least, he'd have to hit me first. I mean, if he isn't armed, and there's only one of him, I'm not just going to lie down and take it.

Of course, I've never been mugged before, so I'm not really speaking from experience. I like to think I'd be brave in this kind of situation, but I can't really know until I actually get mugged.
By not armed i meant no visible weapon. Coat though. Not sure where his hands were.

JB1528

Mar 17, 2009
BiscuitTrouser said:
JB1528 said:
I'm sorry but I just have to call this cowardly. I guess I just have too much pride because I would rather take an asswhoopen rather than get robbed, punked, or "bitched".

Many people are saying you did the smart thing, and while thats's true you also chose the most cowardly option point blank period. And if your okay with that then that's you, but I personally would've hated myself for it. I've been in situations where I was confronted by two guys at once and I even in a situation where I fought a man who was easily twice my size and I never backed down. The only way he would've got me to back down was if he pulled a gun.

OP in all honesty I would have respected you if you made this thread talking about how you got beaten up by an unarmed male trying to rob you, but instead you get no respect from me. I know losing respect from some random guy on the internet doesn't mean shit to you, but damn man, you acted like a coward.
And thats fine. I think a coward is looking at the things you fear, deciding that to face those fears is the right thing because those things mean something to you and then running anyway. I think fighting for 10 quid isnt really the right thing to do in a dark ally infamous for crime isnt on my list of "things worth fighting for".

I held my mothers body while she bled over the carpet and helped perform first aid while an ambulance arrived once. Cracked her skull open, unconcious, middle of the night fell down the stairs hard and smashed her head on the bottom. Being a coward is running from that. Not handing 10 quid over in an ally to ensure you are not stabbed or beaten up. Or have your bike taken. I stand for what i think is worth fighting for every damn time. And dont you think other wise. I dont think 10 quid is worth fighting for. Im not proud persay of that decision. But i damn well stand by it. I did what i thought was safest and would get me home fastest losing the least amount of possessions. And i think i did damn well. Id do it again if i had another shot.

Doubt my story if you will. I know im not a coward. I know that when crunch time arrives and something i love is in danger ill fight tooth and nail for it. Not for 10 quid. Thats bullshit bravado.
Well I do understand that you thought 10 quid wasn't worth it. And I got to respect you for standing with your decision so I apologize for calling you a coward.

I just guess we think a little differently. When a guy robs me for 10 bucks I think "This stupid ************ actually got the nerve to think I'm weak enough to be an easy target? FUCK THAT!" while you think "Well its only 10 quid so I'll just give it up, not worth being beat up for".

And at the end of the day I'll be the one with the bruises while you'll be safe at home, lol so to each his own I guess.

HentMas

The Loneliest Jedi
Apr 17, 2009
I live in México, and while in my town i have never being robbed, i have being robbed while riding the metro of the federal district (DF here, the Washington for México) it was one guy and at first i was going to fight him but i noticed in the crown 4 or 5 guys that were eyeing us and "looking out" for cops, so i just took my wallet and gave him everything i had, its a whole mafia in there, and if i have the number correctly every day at least one guy gets killed in the metro.

Krantos

Jun 30, 2009
Fighting back doesn't always work out like you planned either.

I know a guy that (claims) got held up outside an ATM. The twist? Guy's a black belt. Ended up breaking one guy's wrist, and some ribs on another. Lost his money though, because he got cracked over the head from behind after he put the first two down.

Rather than being impressed, this pretty much cemented my decision not to fight back in the event of a robbery. What if that third guy had a gun/knife rather than whatever he used to knock him out? That's not worth whatever I have in my wallet.

They ended up catching the guys because the third guy took his buddies into the E.R. Kind of a catch 22 there.

Lead Herring

Mar 14, 2011
sheah1 said:
Lead Herring said:
sheah1 said:
If it was one guy then I believe I'd have the balls to take him. Why? Because I would incessantly, brutally, and as quickly as possible stamp the shit out of his.
But he was on a bike, which is specifically designed to keep you some distance off the ground.
I... Buh.... Th.... STOP USING LOGIC TO CRUSH MY DREAMS!
It's weird, I've felt the kind of tiredness that'll stop a man from doing anything but walking (Duke of Edinburgh hiking is a total *****) but I seem to believe that in a fight, I'd never be able to give up thanks to... I don't know, it just never really seems an option for me.
Don't worry dude, I know exactly what you mean. I myself have the weird ass idea that I could win a fight through sheer quick thinking and ballsyness, and I'd probably attempt to win aswell. I'd just want to see the kind of hubris that makes a man try to take another mans money punished. But lets face it, in that kind of situation OP was pretty much fucked, and he still managed to keep his phone and his bike. Dude made the right choice.

Kasawd

Jun 1, 2009
Some fellow tried to rob my store while I was working. It catches you off guard, yes, because it's a familiar area with comfortable memories and one wants to think the best of the situation. He walks in with a home-made balaclava and demands the cash. At first, what with it being winter in a small town, I figured his face must have been cold and I remember, many times asking him if he was serious.

It was frightening, as he kept going for his pockets to get something, despite actually having no weapon in the end. He goes for the register, in an attempt to open the thing. At this point, anger overcame common sense and I pushed him back into the chip racks and told him that if he didn't have a F^&&%^g weapon, that he wasn't getting the cash. he flees the store, telling me he'll be back. I grab the phone and call the cops while blocking the door(Didn't know where the keys were).

The thing is, even with my boxing background, it's hard to muster the courage to do something. I acted without actually thinking, as the situation was so foreign that no thoughts could really be given.

One of the most jarring experiences of my life. Of course, I handled it in a stupid manner, as cash in the register is insured and I should've just handed it over.

Bon_Clay

Aug 5, 2010
Only been successfully robbed once, it was at least 10 on 2, and one of them had a gun. So it was pretty overkill, even without the gun pointed at me, we were completely circled in. I just gave them the money I had to get it over with.

There's been a couple times I've just avoided people following me that was obviously for that reason. And another time me and some friends got approached by a group of wanna-be thugs, but we just stood up to them and ended up taking one of their bikes and wrecking it as they ran off.

sheah1

Jul 4, 2010
Lead Herring said:
sheah1 said:
Lead Herring said:
sheah1 said:
If it was one guy then I believe I'd have the balls to take him. Why? Because I would incessantly, brutally, and as quickly as possible stamp the shit out of his.
But he was on a bike, which is specifically designed to keep you some distance off the ground.
I... Buh.... Th.... STOP USING LOGIC TO CRUSH MY DREAMS!
It's weird, I've felt the kind of tiredness that'll stop a man from doing anything but walking (Duke of Edinburgh hiking is a total *****) but I seem to believe that in a fight, I'd never be able to give up thanks to... I don't know, it just never really seems an option for me.
Don't worry dude, I know exactly what you mean. I myself have the weird ass idea that I could win a fight trough sheer quick thinking and ballsyness, and I'd probably attempt to win aswell. I'd just want to see the kind of hubris that makes a man try to take another mans money punished. But lets face it, in that kind of situation OP was pretty much fucked, and he still managed to keep his phone and his bike. Dude made the right choice.
Why of course, hell, even if he did fight back and won, there's always the chance that the bastard wouldn't have left it at that. It'd suck to have to watch your back 24/7.
Also, logic should never be mistaken for cowardice.

Lead Herring

Mar 14, 2011
scar_47 said:
The OP is a coward he basically let someone take his money and he wasn't even threatened. Hell I'd fight 50 men and probably die but I'd be living by my code and if I can't do that I don't wish to live. I won't let people walk over me nor will I tolerate the attempted theft of my property.
Pretty sure your family would be to pleased if you died defending 10 quid. In fact, I can honestly say my family would be pretty pissed off if I fought for something so petty.

Dr Snakeman

Apr 2, 2010
BiscuitTrouser said:
Dr Snakeman said:

By not armed i meant no visible weapon. Coat though. Not sure where his hands were.
Well, I still think I would wait until I was sure he was armed before forking over my money. Who knows, maybe just asking him "Well, do you have a gun? How about a knife? 'Cause I ain't giving you nothin' if you ain't armed," would take him by surprise and he'd just leave.

Of course, if he then pulled a handgun on me, my attitude would change immediately from this

to this

Seriously, my wallet would be out of my pocket and on the ground so fast that it would be smoking.

What I'm trying to say is: Unarmed= I'll take my chances. Armed= Oh god, oh god, please don't kill me.