File-Sharing Habits Unhindered by Criminal Crackdown

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
Look, people wouldn't pirate if these corporations took the time and the effort to actually fucking care about the people they provide service too rather then just being corporate suits.

Would you steal from someone you like? No, of course not, you'd want to directly give them money for their hard work because you like them and they like you. Fucking aye, I dropped 150 dollars on tickets to see Kevin Smith's RED STATE in NYC just because homeboy gave me so much free entertainment and I wanted to give something back to him and help him out in selling the flick.

Yes people deserve to be paid for their work, but they need to realize the rules of the game have changed and their business models need to change. DRM, Net Censorship, that's only going to cause more ire and cause more people to turn to piracy. Actually taking the time and effort to make friends with the fanbase is the only way to circumvent this.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Legal or not, it becomes increasingly difficult for the average person to feel sorry for the multi-billion dollar media empires with each passing year; especially when their version of the product turns out to being inferior to the bootleg equivalent.

That's my loose interpretation of the matter.

MrStab

Mar 24, 2011
You know what's great? Being able to know how good a game is before you actually buy it. I know I won't be pirating Dragon's Dogma because they did a top job with the demo and I know what the game is like. You know what is shit? Knowing nothing useful about a game until you've played it, for me there are way too many cinematic trailers that tell you sweet fuck all about the mechanics of a game and how it actually plays Dead Island is a big example for this top notch trailer average (at best) game.

Remember back in the days of the PS1 how if you bought a game it would have one of those black demo disks that would have a bunch of different game demos and you could actually use that to judge your purchases off. I miss demos and the fact that they aren't as big as they used to be. I pirate games to try before I buy.

Heinrich843

Apr 1, 2009
If we're talking about run of the mill torrenters and newsgroup users..

Young people work either for or slightly above minimum wage, or they don't work at all due to going to school(Typically the first job is pretty lowly, even if their family has money, builds character and all that.)

They don't have the money to buy everything they want. They don't even have the money to buy all the cheap entertainment they want. I've seen a roommate throw all his money at the industry, and he was only able to afford a few games a year. He's not entitled to play games he doesn't pay for, but there can be no argument of a lost sale. Dude doesn't have any money to give them. At this point, there's no real logic in going after him or even getting upset that he's pirating games. Companies should think of these pirates as free advertising. If a pirate loves your game, he'll buy it with his limited money over your other games. He will also run and tell all his friends.

Is this consumer uncommon? Apparently not.

Consumers as a whole may have a service problem with the industry that loops into this point and contributes to piracy, but because they specified "young people", they're talking about a demographic with lots of time between exams and little money.

So, yeah, there's these people throwing money at an industry that creates entertainment. That industry reports record sales and talks about how much money they're making- then complains about people not paying for their games.

Seems pretty : /

Rodrigo Girao

May 13, 2011
Don't mind if I post this again...

[http://levine.sscnet.ucla.edu/general/intellectual/againstfinal.htm]

Grey Day for Elcia

Jan 15, 2012
Zachery Gaskins said:
Worgen said:
The difference in perceived value of something digital vs something physical is very different, if you steal a physical thing then there is one less of them, if you steal a digital thing then your not really stealing it, your just copying it.
That's like being given excellent service at a restaurant and then not tipping (or accurately, telling the waiter he should be happy he's making $2.75 an hour as it is, since anyone could do his job). Now say that to a game developer.

Remember, it's not theft, it's fraud.

Piracy is telling game developers (and young people wanting to be game developers) that you really don't think their skills/creativity has value. If you continue to treat them like ass, keep expecting games that look and play like ass, and at some point people will stop making games.

"But why do I have to tip the stripper?"

#andimout
I've never tipped in my life. I pay for what I purchased and that's it. I don't care if your job sucks, I'm no more going to give you money than I am a beggar on the street.

shintakie10

Sep 3, 2008
littlerob said:
Sporge said:
Zachery Gaskins said:
Worgen said:
The difference in perceived value of something digital vs something physical is very different, if you steal a physical thing then there is one less of them, if you steal a digital thing then your not really stealing it, your just copying it.
That's like being given excellent service at a restaurant and then not tipping (or accurately, telling the waiter he should be happy he's making $2.75 an hour as it is, since anyone could do his job). Now say that to a game developer.

Remember, it's not theft, it's fraud.

Piracy is telling game developers (and young people wanting to be game developers) that you really don't think their skills/creativity has value. If you continue to treat them like ass, keep expecting games that look and play like ass, and at some point people will stop making games.

"But why do I have to tip the stripper?"

#andimout
Woah slow down there, most piracy I believe is a result of less than excellent service. That said you don't tip your waiter before the meal either, and many other pirates I think act like that. They don't want to waste their money, which they may not have a ton of on something they don't like. So they pirate it, if it is meh they delete it and don't care. If they like it, or even love it, they are more likely to buy it.

Besides if a waiter was horrible, getting your orders wrong, or hardly paid any attention to you would you tip them the same as the one who provided excellent service? It isn't saying that a devs skill or creativity has no value it is that it is in question, and your work has to be quality to get money.
On top of all that, it's only in America where tipping is taken as a matter of course.

Everywhere else in the world, tips are earned, rather than expected. A tip is a reward to the person serving, for above-average service that you think deserves extra recognition. A waiter doing their job (anywhere but the US) gets paid by their employer for doing their job. No more, no less. If they get exemplary service or go out of their way to help, their customers might leave a tip as a personal 'thank you'.

Expecting this as an almost legal requirement is a peculiarly American thing.
The expectation for tips in America comes from lawmakers fuckin over service workers in the US. There are laws on the books in several states that allow minimum wage for waiters and the like to drop far below minimum wage with the retarded reason bein that supposedly tips will "make the difference" however there are absolutely 0 laws to protect service workers in the case this ends up bein completely untrue. On top of that employers have the say over how tips are distributed. They want to split tips completely evenly between every single worker they have from waiters to line cooks to cleaners? Perfectly legal.

That's why I've always tipped really generously whenever I have the money.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
according to antipiracy agencies, gaming industry should have a -300.000 workers, make more loses than the production costs and pretty much does not exist, if we follow the figures they give. So now that its clear that those figures are bogus, what are the real ones?
a Latvian study has shown that only around 3% of people would buy the product if piracy is not an option, while 40%+ stated that they use piracy as a "test" and buy the product if they like it. The main reason not to buy the products were stated that its too expensive, which is no news, especially since digital distribution should have dropped the price to say, 40 dollars from 60 dollars AT LEAST.
Instead they invest the surplus money on creating DRMs that only punish legal costumers and crying about piracy when noone buys a bad game.

On the other hand, in germany the pressure from "your neighboar is going to rat on you for piracy" is huge. ive seen hardcore pirates stop pirating after a student trade to germany.

wwmcfar

Oct 12, 2009
MC K-Mac said:
Fuck you are stupid. A hypocrite is someone who tells people not do something, but does it himself. As I've already said, I'm not telling people not to pirate. Just don't try to ethically justify it, because you can't. And there's a difference between someone who is responsible for one download and someone who is responsible for millions, plus is making money while doing so. You are capable of understanding that concept, right? Or do you think there's no ethical difference between shoplifting and robbing a bank?

As far as "a pirated copy doesn't equal a lost sale" goes, not all downloaded copies of something equal a lost sale, but a percentage of them do. What that percentage is is up for debate, but I'm willing to bet it's pretty high. And anyone who uses that argument as an excuse to pirate is really, really, fucking stupid. I'm willing to bet you're one of them.
You say it's unethical and unjustifiable and yet do it anyway and justify it by saying you're broke, that is the very definition of hypocrisy.

The only difference between you and the people who host torrents and upload is the one inside your mind that lets you justify what you do but condemn those that make it possible. If you participate in piracy you're no better than the hosts.

Insult my intelligence all you want but you're a hypocrite and a coward, so please stop torrenting until you grow some balls and can at least defend those that make it possible.

MC K-Mac

Oct 23, 2010
wwmcfar said:
MC K-Mac said:
Fuck you are stupid. A hypocrite is someone who tells people not do something, but does it himself. As I've already said, I'm not telling people not to pirate. Just don't try to ethically justify it, because you can't. And there's a difference between someone who is responsible for one download and someone who is responsible for millions, plus is making money while doing so. You are capable of understanding that concept, right? Or do you think there's no ethical difference between shoplifting and robbing a bank?

As far as "a pirated copy doesn't equal a lost sale" goes, not all downloaded copies of something equal a lost sale, but a percentage of them do. What that percentage is is up for debate, but I'm willing to bet it's pretty high. And anyone who uses that argument as an excuse to pirate is really, really, fucking stupid. I'm willing to bet you're one of them.
You say it's unethical and unjustifiable and yet do it anyway and justify it by saying you're broke, that is the very definition of hypocrisy.

The only difference between you and the people who host torrents and upload is the one inside your mind that lets you justify what you do but condemn those that make it possible. If you participate in piracy you're no better than the hosts.

Insult my intelligence all you want but you're a hypocrite and a coward, so please stop torrenting until you grow some balls and can at least defend those that make it possible.
Okay, you don't know what the word "hypocrisy" means, you don't understand how ethics works, and you're incapable of arguing a point other than repeating yourself over and over. I'm obviously wasting my time with you, but I'm a stubborn fellow so I'm going to try one more angle.

Are you aware that people sometimes do things that they know are wrong? Like, steal office supplies or eat at McDonalds? This is what I am doing. I know it's wrong, but I do it anyway. Are you saying you are so morally pure that you can judge me for doing that? Are you The Angel of Light, come down to earth to judge us mere mortals? 'cause if that's the case, I should inform you that I also stole Suzie's Fruit Roll-Up in Grade Three and that I have looked at pictures of naked ladies on several occasions. Please be merciful with me, O Glorious One.

wwmcfar

Oct 12, 2009
MC K-Mac said:
wwmcfar said:
MC K-Mac said:

Okay, you don't know what the word "hypocrisy" means, you don't understand how ethics works, and you're incapable of arguing a point other than repeating yourself over and over. I'm obviously wasting my time with you, but I'm a stubborn fellow so I'm going to try one more angle.

Are you aware that people sometimes do things that they know are wrong? Like, steal office supplies or eat at McDonalds? This is what I am doing. I know it's wrong, but I do it anyway. Are you saying you are so morally pure that you can judge me for doing that? Are you The Angel of Light, come down to earth to judge us mere mortals? 'cause if that's the case, I should inform you that I also stole Suzie's Fruit Roll-Up in Grade Three and that I have looked at pictures of naked ladies on several occasions. Please be merciful with me, O Glorious One.
I repeat myself because apparently it's necessary to get it through your thick skull. I didn't say I don't do wrong because I do, frequently and unrepentantly.

I pirate all the time and that's why I will defend those who are good enough to enable me to do so. I also buy movies and games all the time and believe there is room for legitimate and illegitimate distribution of media without criminalizing everyone involved. You participate in piracy then justify it while condemning those that enabled you. That is why you're a hypocrite and regardless of whether that is covered under your narrow definition of the word or not it doesn't change what you are.

Thank you for addressing me as Glorious One though, after all that is my proper title.

MC K-Mac

Oct 23, 2010
wwmcfar said:
MC K-Mac said:
wwmcfar said:
MC K-Mac said:

I repeat myself because apparently it's necessary to get it through your thick skull. I didn't say I don't do wrong because I do, frequently and unrepentantly.

I pirate all the time and that's why I will defend those who are good enough to enable me to do so. I also buy movies and games all the time and believe there is room for legitimate and illegitimate distribution of media without criminalizing everyone involved. You participate in piracy then justify it while condemning those that enabled you. That is why you're a hypocrite and regardless of whether that is covered under your narrow definition of the word or not it doesn't change what you are.

Thank you for addressing me as Glorious One though, after all that is my proper title.
*Searches through all previous posts for evidence of me "justifying" anything, comes up empty*

Yup, I was wasting my time talking to you, all right. You keep honking your little "hypocrite" horn, buddy. We're all really impressed by it.

Be sure to tip the people that feed and clothe you, and offer to share your fruit cup and cookie with them. They deserve it.

wwmcfar

Oct 12, 2009
MC K-Mac said:
wwmcfar said:
MC K-Mac said:
wwmcfar said:
MC K-Mac said:

*Searches through all previous posts for evidence of me "justifying" anything, comes up empty*

Yup, I was wasting my time talking to you, all right. You keep honking your little "hypocrite" horn, buddy. We're all really impressed by it.

Be sure to tip the people that feed and clothe you, and offer to share your fruit cup and cookie with them. They deserve it.
You Justifyed it by saying you're broke in your first post or are you incapable of remembering what you wrote yesterday.

But I'm glad you're finally giving up and yielding to your intellectual better. If you're ever in my neck of the woods I'd be glad to share my fruit cup and cookies with you.