File-sharing Remains Legal In Switzerland

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008

Following a comprehensive study, the Swiss government has ruled that sharing games, music and movies is actually beneficial to copyright holders.

With one in three Swiss citizens sharing media online, the Swiss government recently found itself under immense pressure from media conglomerates to do something, anything to stem the tide of piracy. Nodding sagely, government officials commissioned an unbiased study to finally figure out exactly how piracy affects media sales.

The study's findings were released late last week and not only did it find that file-sharing under the current Swiss copyright laws (in which downloading media for personal consumption is legal) does not damage the income of copyright holders, it claims that file-sharing actually increases the amount of cash people are willing to spend on music, movies and games.

TorrentFreak reports:

The government report further concludes that even in the current situation where piracy is rampant, the entertainment industries are not necessarily losing money. To reach this conclusion, the researchers extrapolated the findings of a study conducted by the Dutch government last year, since the countries are considered to be similar in many aspects.

The report states that around a third of Swiss citizens over 15 years old download pirated music, movies and games from the Internet. However, these people don't spend less money as a result because the budgets they reserve for entertainment are fairly constant. This means that downloading is mostly complementary.

The other side of piracy, based on the Dutch study, is that downloaders are reported to be more frequent visitors to concerts, and game downloaders actually bought more games than those who didn't. And in the music industry, lesser-know bands profit most from the sampling effect of file-sharing.

Additionally, the study looked at how other countries have implemented anti-piracy measures and deemed the amount of cash spent on trying to prevent file-sharing is simply not worth it. In effect, governments have been spending money attempting to fight an inevitability, and the Swiss study claims that the money could be better spent elsewhere.

By far the best bit of the study though is toward the end. In closing the report suggests that the same media firms that pressured the Swiss government into conducting the study should stop wasting their time complaining about piracy and instead find ways to adapt to changing market conditions created by the mass adoption of internet-based technology.

As a result of the study's findings, Swiss copyright law will remain unchanged, and the people of Switzerland are free to download whatever sort of music they listen to.

Is it death metal? They seem like a death metal crowd.

Source: TorrentFreak [https://torrentfreak.com/swiss-govt-downloading-movies-and-music-will-stay-legal-111202/]

Kevlar Eater

Sep 27, 2009
And yet, American corporations are doing their damnedest to make both the internet and the country itself into a totalitarian state, mostly in an effort to completely eradicate piracy.

Ewyx

Dec 3, 2008
Oh no, piracy is not the ultimate evil destroying all entertainment industries and a government refuses to bend down to corporate lobbies. Is this the Earth shattering before my eyes?

The Grim Ace

May 20, 2010
Oh Switzerland, how I love your usually evenhanded views. I'm not sure how long they can maintain that position since pressures from media conglomerates will probably be increasing with these findings, but who doesn't love a government taking a sensible view for once?

Fat Hippo

Prepare to be Gnomed
Legacy
May 29, 2009
The Grim Ace said:
Oh Switzerland, how I love your usually evenhanded views. I'm not sure how long they can maintain that position since pressures from media conglomerates will probably be increasing with these findings, but who doesn't love a government taking a sensible view for once?
Hah, occasionally, I really like my government. Classical Swiss pragmatism. Or maybe it's just laziness. We really don't like change.

Now we just need a decent national anthem, and we'll be aaaalllllright!

Apr 28, 2008
Oh good, now pirates will be throwing this around to justify them not paying for content that they have no right to use/play/watch/ect.. Great.

Not trying to defend the big publishers/corporations. Hell no. But it's kind of hard to side with the person who pirates stuff so he/she doesn't have to pay for it.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
Kevlar Eater said:
And yet, American corporations are doing their damnedest to make both the internet and the country itself into a totalitarian state, mostly in an effort to completely eradicate piracy.
...while criticizing China for doing the same thing...while China is largely unsuccessful in doing so.

Why don't you go with a death metal anthem? That way, when you get gold in the Olympics, people WILL KNOW which country has won.

kouriichi

Sep 5, 2010
Fat_Hippo said:
The Grim Ace said:
Hah, occasionally, I really like my government. Classical Swiss pragmatism. Or maybe it's just laziness. We really don't like change.

Now we just need a decent national anthem, and we'll be aaaalllllright!
You live in Switzerland? :D
How expensive is it? Hows the job market? Are there cheap apartments?
Are internet speeds decent?

I wanna know so i can get out of a country putting itself in debt, believing everything that big corporations say and trying to pepper spray its citizens to death for speaking their mind.

OT: Ive been saying this since piracy became such a big issue. Torrenting games doesnt effect how much people buy, it effects how much people can play. I just bought MW3, Skyrim and soon Saints Row: The third. I could have pirated all of them, but i have the money to own them, so im going to own them!

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
Also, I appreciate your lack of change, as it means that for the most part Switzerland has not obliterated all that natural beauty that inspires sickeningly sweet musicals.

The Bandit

Feb 5, 2008
weirdguy said:
Kevlar Eater said:
...while criticizing China for doing the same thing...while China is largely unsuccessful in doing so.

Why don't you go with a death metal anthem? That way, when you get gold in the Olympics, people WILL KNOW which country has won.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_rights_in_the_People%27s_Republic_of_China

America and China are basically the same thing!

Fat Hippo

Prepare to be Gnomed
Legacy
May 29, 2009
kouriichi said:
You live in Switzerland? :D
How expensive is it? Hows the job market? Are there cheap apartments?
Are internet speeds decent?

I wanna know so i can get out of a country putting itself in debt, believing everything that big corporations say and trying to pepper spray its citizens to death for speaking their mind.
Expensive: Very. Wages are of course somewhat higher, but this doesn't change the fact that many things, even necessities like food, are totally over-priced when compared to our neighbors.
Job Market: It's okay, we haven't been hit as hard as a lot of other countries. I think we're at about 2.5% unemployment rate at the moment.
Cheap apartments: Depends where you want to go. Zürich: Forget it. Bern or Basel should be easier. Geneva is pretty expensive too. But public transport is good almost everywhere, so you don't have to live right in the center of the cities.
Internet speeds are pretty good, where I live anyway. Swisscom has started putting fiber optic cables everywhere, so it should only get better.

If you're serious about moving to Switzerland, just be 100% sure you can get a good job. There just isn't room here for people without a decent education which is actually needed in the job market. We get loads of people from countries like Serbia and Albania, who simply can't get jobs. It's becoming a real problem.

weirdguy said:
Also, I appreciate your lack of change, as it means that for the most part Switzerland has not obliterated all that natural beauty that inspires sickeningly sweet musicals.
Not totally true, unfortunately. Yeah, the Alps are still nice, but at 7 million people, this place is getting seriously overpopulated. Urban sprawl is really swallowing up huge areas of land, and you can't stick a lot of people into mountain passes.

...man, I'm making my country sound so depressing. I actually really love living here, it's a great country.

Scypemonk

Proud TBB Warrior
Sep 26, 2007
Earnest Cavalli said:

As a result of the study's findings, Swiss copyright law will remain unchanged, and the people of Switzerland are free to download whatever sort of music they listen to.

Is it death metal? They seem like a death metal crowd.

Nope, it's black metal: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celtic_Frost

OT: Whatever ones views is on piracy, you have to admit, it's impossible to fight it. I'm not sure legalizing it is the best way to deal with it, but restricting access to the internet like several internet providers, and governemnts, do, isn't the way to do it. Switzerland dealt with drug-abuse the same way. Instead of arresting people, they gave free heroin to people who were addicted, and it worked.

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
Scypemonk said:
Whatever ones views is on piracy, you have to admit, it's impossible to fight it.
If "We haven't been able to stop/do [X] thus far therefor it is clearly impossible to defeat/do." was a valid argument, I think the Medical, Law Enforcement, Scientific and Internet Security Departments/Industries would have packed their bags long ago.

Didn't the Lightbulb have around 200 failed designs before they came up with the right one? Maybe they should have given up around failure 2-3?

Scypemonk

Proud TBB Warrior
Sep 26, 2007
Aeshi said:
Scypemonk said:
Whatever ones views is on piracy, you have to admit, it's impossible to fight it.
If "We haven't been able to stop [X] thus far therefor it is clearly impossible to defeat." was a valid argument, I think the Medical, Law Enforcement, Scientific and Internet Security Departments/Industries would have packed their bags long ago.
Well, i should have said almost impossible, anyway i'll clarify.

People who pirate software, are getting things conveniently from the internet with little hassle, and (usually anyway) completely free. While it's illegal, cases were people get charged for it (at least here in Denmark), are extremely rare, and then it's only people who make a living from cracking software. And when people put defenses in place to prevent piracy, they get bypassed almost instantly.

So realistically the only thing that keeps people from piracy, are their guilty conscience, or insistence to support developers, musicians, etc. I always buy my games, but i know several people who pirate them (or rather almost none that don't), and while some are idiots who only does it because it's free, some do it because it's a much better service.

So the best way (in theory) to fight piracy is probably to embrace it, and make downloading everything free, and instead introduce a tax or fee, that you pay on a certain basis. Then the creators of this software receive payment based on downloads, or perhaps user recommendations. The people that handle this could be either internet providers or the government, depending on what would be most practical.

That last part may need some rethinking, but my point remains, that it's pretty pointless to fight piracy the traditional way, because all defenses put in place, eventually will be bypassed.

EDIT: Corrected some spelling mistakes.

Omechron

Apr 15, 2009
Irridium said:
Oh good, now pirates will be throwing this around to justify them not paying for content that they have no right to use/play/watch/ect.. Great.
What's the matter? Don't like the truth? Switzerland has scientifically disproved the theory that piracy is destroying the entertainment industry.

Irridium said:
Not trying to defend the big publishers/corporations. Hell no. But it's kind of hard to side with the person who pirates stuff so he/she doesn't have to pay for it.
I'm not siding with the pirates either. I'm siding with the legit users who don't like draconian DRM. I'm siding with citizens who would rather not see billions in tax dollars flushed away fighting a crime that is happening anyway. I'm siding with with judges who would probably rather judge cases that actually matter. I'm siding with the developers who would rather not see a cool feature in a game sacrificed to free up resources for a new DRM scheme which will be cracked within days anyway.

Up until now my position has been "piracy is a horrible thing but it's gonna happen anyway so just roll with it, yo". Now that position has officially been mythbusted. Piracy is a largely harmless thing that companies and governments are spending billions fighting.

Apr 28, 2008
Omechron said:
Irridium said:
What's the matter? Don't like the truth? Switzerland has scientifically disproved the theory that piracy is destroying the entertainment industry.

Irridium said:
I'm not siding with the pirates either. I'm siding with the legit users who don't like draconian DRM. I'm siding with citizens who would rather not see billions in tax dollars flushed away fighting a crime that is happening anyway. I'm siding with with judges who would probably rather judge cases that actually matter. I'm siding with the developers who would rather not see a cool feature in a game sacrificed to free up resources for a new DRM scheme which will be cracked within days anyway.

Up until now my position has been "piracy is a horrible thing but it's gonna happen anyway so just roll with it, yo". Now that position has officially been mythbusted. Piracy is a largely harmless thing that companies and governments are spending billions fighting.
Yes, they have proven that piracy really isn't that much of a problem. For very large companies. In Switzerland. But Switzerland isn't the entire world. Not to mention that Switzerland isn't exactly these companies' main consumer base, so even if the whole of Switzerland pirated everything, it wouldn't mean much for the large companies that could take it.

But for the smaller musicians/filmmakers/game developers who try to make a living making music/movies/games, piracy is a big issue.

I'm not saying you're wrong, and I agree that companies and governments should spend the money on better things. Yes companies and governments are pretty ignorant of this whole thing and are going about it in insanely stupid ways.

But what I'm saying that people who are downloading someone else's work without paying for it when the creator wants/needs payment is wrong.

gunner1905

Jun 18, 2010
Irridium said:
Omechron said:
Irridium said:

Irridium said:

Yes, they have proven that piracy really isn't that much of a problem. For very large companies. In Switzerland. But Switzerland isn't the entire world. Not to mention that Switzerland isn't exactly these companies' main consumer base, so even if the whole of Switzerland pirated everything, it wouldn't mean much for the large companies that could take it.
But this is also true the Netherlands because
Earnest Cavalli said:
the researchers extrapolated the findings of a study conducted by the Dutch government last year
and most of the western countries (countries trying to fight piracy)
Earnest Cavalli said:
Additionally, the study looked at how other countries have implemented anti-piracy measures and deemed the amount of cash spent on trying to prevent file-sharing is simply not worth it. In effect, governments have been spending money attempting to fight an inevitability, and the Swiss study claims that the money could be better spent elsewhere.
fighting other battles or making file sharing legal seems to be better for everybody

and also about those
Irridium said:
smaller musicians/filmmakers/game developers who try to make a living making music/movies/games
please read the article more thoroughly
Earnest Cavalli said:
The other side of piracy, based on the Dutch study, is that downloaders are reported to be more frequent visitors to concerts, and game downloaders actually bought more games than those who didn't. And in the music industry, lesser-know bands profit most from the sampling effect of file-sharing.

gunner1905

Jun 18, 2010
Irridium said:
gunner1905 said:
Alright, fair enough. Still feels weird to me, but I guess I'll just have to live with it.
It is weird because even though the data shows it beneficial, we've always been taught that nothing is free, and someone getting something for free that you paid for will never seem fair.
I just don't care if somebody pirates or not anymore, publishers can do what they want with DRM, as long as I can play the game normally I just buy the games I want.
Except those MAFIAA with SOPA, those guys are just fucking crazy and paranoid.