Filesharers Spend More Money on Music, Survey Finds

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Filesharers Spend More Money on Music, Survey Finds

A survey of UK residents has found that on average, people who download music illegally also spend an average of £77 a year buying it legitimately - considerably more than those who who don't download at all.

The results of the survey [http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/8337887.stm], which interviewed a total of 1008 people - not the largest sample size, but not tiny either - and was commissioned by researchers Demos, are rather interesting. Though members of the music industry blame pirates for declining revenues, the survey found that illegal filesharers tend to spend more money on buying music legally than those who walk the straight-and-narrow path all the time.

Of those questioned between the ages of 16 and 50, only one in every 10 admitted to using sites like The Pirate Bay to download songs and albums - but of that group, 80% said they also bought media legitimately, whether CDs, MP3s, or even classic vinyl. The filesharers spent a yearly average of £77 ($126.24, €85.48) on their legal music; the people who denied using illegal services only spent an average of £44 ($72.14, €48.85).

Half of those polled said that they listened to music through official channels on YouTube, while 22% used internet radio services. Only 4% used once-mighty Napster (now legal), and 21% of the respondents hadn't even heard of the filesharing pioneer.

It seems that for many, the sticking point is price - 75% of 16-24-year-olds who responded said that they would be okay with paying for MP3s provided the price was right. The "sweet spot" of pricing seemed to be £0.45, or $0.74, and only 2% said they would buy songs if the cost was over £1.

"Politicians and music companies need to recognise that the nature of music consumption has changed and consumers are demanding lower prices and easier access to music," said Peter Bradwell, a researcher for Demos involved in the project.

Though a spokesperson for the UK's Department for Business, Innovation and Skills said that while illegal filesharing was still a severe problem facing the industry, and cautioned people to take the survey with a grain of salt, the findings were heartening and were indicative of positive changes. "[It's] encouraging that the findings signal that the three-pronged approach set out by the Government this week - a mix of education, enforcement and attractive new commercial deals - provides the best way forward for industry and consumers."

Of course, this assumes that all those involved with the poll told the truth, so...

(Thanks, leeloodallasmultipass)

uppitycracker

Oct 9, 2008
Pretty much the truth. While I may pirate a LOT of music, I also spend the majority of my cash on purchasing cd's, a LOT of vinyl, and tickets for shows and merch from the bands (always get it directly from the bands at the shows, it's how they make most of their money). Just goes to show what pirating a little music can really do for the musicians. Go ahead and flame, I know I support the artists I love.

Katherine Kerensky

Why, or Why Not?
Mar 27, 2009
Hmmm... interesting. although most of the stuff they do buy is probably Lady Gaga or other crap.
There isn't much music that I do want to go buy anyway. unfortunately. I think.

CantFaketheFunk said:
considerably more than those who who don't download at all.
Mechanicus sense is screaming. it wants to kill me.

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
While this supports much of what I was thinking already, filesharers tend to self-justify quite a bit. So in filling out a survey, im a bit worried about this groupthink mentality clouding the results of the poll.

Virgil

#virgil { display:none; }
Legacy
Jun 13, 2002
This survey doesn't tell us that people that pirate music buy more music, this actually tells us that people who will admit to pirating music on a survey also claim to spend more money than others. There are undoubtedly a good number of people who took the survey and lied about pirating music, and the people who do pirate music and admit it are very likely to inflate the amount they claim to purchase to try to justify their actions. You can't trust people to accurately report their behavior when it comes to something like this.

I consider surveys like this to be barely above making up numbers - they're good for internet forum fodder and nothing else.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
I do have a feeling those who say they don't use illegal file sharing lied, but I do believe those who was honest about using illegal file sharing actually use that much money. I am one of those who happen to have a few classic vinyl records to go with my CD's and the illegal files I've downloaded. If I like the music I download I buy it if it is possible... we don't get much of the alternative music... or good music for that sake.

hamster mk 4

Apr 29, 2008
This is true of my music buying habits. I don't download any songs, nor do I buy them. I rely on internet radio like Pandora to get my completely legal music fix.

HK_01

Jun 1, 2009
Interesting findings. Maybe the pirates just don't have enough money to buy all the music they want.

Credge

Apr 12, 2008
This sounds pretty accurate. I'll pirate something and if I like it, I'll buy it. Generally that means I'll spend about $50 bucks a year in stores and another $70 or so at concerts.

On CD's.

Edit: I don't bother with iTunes or similar programs. They're pretty terrible.

Proteus214

Game Developer
Jul 31, 2009
Virgil said:
This survey doesn't tell us that people that pirate music buy more music, this actually tells us that people who will admit to pirating music on a survey also claim to spend more money than others. There are undoubtedly a good number of people who took the survey and lied about pirating music, and the people who do pirate music and admit it are very likely to inflate the amount they claim to purchase to try to justify their actions. You can't trust people to accurately report their behavior when it comes to something like this.

I consider surveys like this to be barely above making up numbers - they're good for internet forum fodder and nothing else.
I completely agree. I really have a hard time accepting that to be true. And honestly, that sample size is unbelievably small.

sneakypenguin

Elite Member
Legacy
Jul 31, 2008
Country
usa
Hmmm only one in ten admit to DL'ing, yeah that numbers accurate.... I think 95% of PC's i've run across has frostwire or limewire on it. Come to think of it I don't know anyone without it. Also relying on someones word as to how much they spent is just ridiculous.

cobra_ky

Nov 20, 2008
Proteus214 said:
Virgil said:

I completely agree. I really have a hard time accepting that to be true. And honestly, that sample size is unbelievably small.
How big do you think survey samples are? 1000 is plenty for a statistically significant result.

Proteus214

Game Developer
Jul 31, 2009
cobra_ky said:
Proteus214 said:
Virgil said:

How big do you think survey samples are? 1000 is plenty for a statistically significant result.
Sure, it's statistically significant...for a small portion of the UK only. To take these results and make assumptions that this is anywhere near significant to the population digital media users all over the world is more than likely not accurate.

Zivlok

Dec 12, 2008
I pirate a lot of shit, but I buy a lot of shit. And, I mostly just pirate one song here and there that I need for a movie I'm making for a school project or some sort of commemorative DVD for a trip or a wedding or that sort of thing. I more than make up the cost of the songs I pirate (almost always from people have way too much money in the first place) with legally purchasing music.

The same sort of goes for video games - it does go for video games that I could buy (GBA games only, really), but not for old snes games. And I would never pirate new games that came out, if I had a DS cart or whatever, for the same principle why I don't pirate indy bands (and I mean bands that don't even make enough money to break even, not the style of music) - I vote with my money, voting for "I want more of this stuff on the market."

Dudeakoff

Jul 22, 2009
How about people who pirate music tend to be the people who are really into their music? A lot people only really listen to the radio and get the odd NOW CD for Christmas (those people won't be pirates), where as the people who pirate tend to have an interest in the industry and finding bands/singers they really enjoy, so they pirate because they can't afford to keep up with the many bands/singers they're into and buy albums for bands they really like.

They'll also tend to be the people who go to a lot of gigs (where the bands/singers make their money).

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
Virgil said:

On a related note. Until I started using zune marketplace I never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever purchased music.

Now that I can effectively listen to all music ever for 15 bucks a month I actually buy tracks sometimes.

Virgil

#virgil { display:none; }
Legacy
Jun 13, 2002
theultimateend said:
On a related note. Until I started using zune marketplace I never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever purchased music.
♥ ZunePass

By the way, if you add your gamertag to your profile here, your recently listened to Zune music also shows up. It's an undocumented feature :p

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
Virgil said:
theultimateend said:
♥ ZunePass

By the way, if you add your gamertag to your profile here, your recently listened to Zune music also shows up. It's an undocumented feature :p
Zunepass is so badass to me. As for your point on the gamertag. I had no idea. I'll have to look into it sometime.

I can see it now on a FPS.

"Dude...you are listening to Enya? Totally not AXE Bodyspary awesome."

I took some personal freedom with what it was totally not since I assume everyone online asshole is touting half a gallon of AXE on them ;).