Fill Out Surveys, Earn Cash and Win Videogames!

David_G

Aug 25, 2009
I just got the music, and I'm kinda disappointed, but I guess I got my money's worth.

On a related note, I still haven't gotten invited to a survey.

ThatJagoGuy

Feb 11, 2009
Spinwhiz said:
As a "consumer psychologist" you also know that game companies use more than a general demographic when creating and promoting their games. Much like focus groups, this is a way for different publishers to also find trends with their data, which allows them to innovate gameplay, forecast sales and make sure the consumers are getting the games they like. Also, different publishers are looking for different information, so a broad sweep of assumed demographic consumer behaviors does not work.

Also, advertisers are more likely to go after the 18-34 demographic than the 16-25 demographic you have mentioned.

As an added note, VGMarkets does not sell your information to anyone else. So, you won't be getting phone calls, emails or anything else from any outside company. We wouldn't group up with someone who would sell your information.
Yes, as a consumer psychologist [I realise how prone to hyperbolic BS the forums may be, but this is genuinely my field of expertise - your nescient quotation marks are not required, thanks] I haven't worked with the games sector yet so couldn't attest to your claims. I *do* know that online data collection has a somewhat marked history of keeping data secure. Admittedly, I know little of this particular group, but I'd be genuinely surprised if they're not under the umbrella of another, larger data-marketing company (to whom they'd be entitled to 'share' information). Admittedly, the claim that data would be overtly 'sold' is erroneous and rash.

I have no question of its legitimacy, but I'd assume that The Escapist's powers-that-be would have realised that spamming the email accounts of your patrons, trying to push survey participation as though it's in their interests, is going to disenchant a good many people. Look up how mixing up Social Economies and Monetary Economies can damage relationships and brand-image...

I fear I may not have adequately addressed all points... but regardless - I'm done. I shall hold my tongue in future... and dismay quietly.

Licaon_Kter

Jan 23, 2008
@Spinwhiz: what's up with the country limitations? why i can't access the site yet the site registration has my country on the list ?

Mr_Universal

Jun 29, 2009
just a question, will the be asking for bank account information and stuff? or have i understood it correctly that they will send pree-paid cards in your mail? and the games we might get, are they for download or are they sent by mail?

Ghost

Spoony old Bard
Feb 13, 2009
...The Escapist directing its users to a Market Research company? I think the suspicion and resentment towards this move from near every other user says it all.

Word it however you like, you're linking us all to a site where we give out personal information* for peanuts, which is seems most people don't even get. But hell, use fake info and you'll be fine, if you're desperate for copyright infringing Piano covers of anime theme tunes and 60p a year.

*If you give legitimate personal information out on the internet, you should just give up using the internet completely. And yes, they WILL keep hold of all information forever/for several years at least.

TheZaius

May 7, 2008
Why is the survey asking me if I own a GAMEBOY DS (which is listed twice)? Why is the NES listed as just "Nintendo" and why isn't the Super Nintendo listed at all?

Mistakes like this just make the whole thing seem fishy.

Lord_Kristof

Sep 24, 2010
The music's not very good, unfortunately. They completely butchered Tank!, which is a kick-ass track, and the only one I really know of all these covers. I feel a bit cheated, but then again, it was free and we shouldn't be asking for too much.

On a lighter note, I got my first survey, and though it wasn't exactly well tailored to me, I now have 60 pence pending on my account. Nice. Waiting for more.

markt1964

Sep 2, 2010
Figured I'd try it... filled in all the profiles and was invited to do two surveys in 3 days, whereupon both times I was told that my answers didn't qualify me to complete them, and both times only received a .10 credit, where each survey initially appeared to to offer a much larger credit.

I didn't expect to get rich doing this, of course... but I think that when they invite you to take a survey that they say could be worth up to "X" amount, it's sort of peculiar to be rapidly told that you don't qualify to finish it, and get a tenth of that amount, or even less. I mean, why bother "inviting" me to take the survey at all? Since invitations are based on what information I've filled out in my profiles, it doesn't make any sense. I'm almost starting to figure that this whole thing may be some sort of scam of some sort.

[edit: actually, on second thought what it actually sounds more like is those stupid timeshare offers that we get on the phone every so often, where they tell me that I've already won a free weekend vacation someplace, with the caveat that I must agree to attend a 2 hour seminar, but when they find out my household's income level, they tell me that we don't qualify. In fact, it sounds identical to that sort of thing, actually. Those types of phone calls are annoying already, but this vgmarket surveys is even more so because they ought to already have enough information from the profile information I've filled out to know whether or not I qualify to take the survey in the first place (since they explicitly claim that filling out the profiles is how to get invited to take the surveys), and if I don't qualify, then why bother sending me an invitation in the first place? If it's not a scam, it's definitely seeming like a waste of time.]

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
Shihoudani said:
Hehe.. yeah it doesn't look like they generally say it in such a direct fashion, though it seems like it's hinted at. It's the only reason I could see why you'd be suspended like that.
There is one "Your profile answers are mutually exclusive", but if it was just based on my profile answers I should've been pegged right away, not after I'd started getting surveys (and yet before I got any hint of the music). I mean, I wasn't expecting much out of this, but the promised music would be nice as opposed to "you're probably a conman, have a nice day", which is all I have to show for my work right now. Oh, well, I guess I'll give them another business day before I get really angry.

TheZaius

May 7, 2008
I completed the General Interest Survey and it's not showing the $1.00 pending for my reward balance. The survey didn't say I didn't qualify for anything. I just completed it... then I was sent to another survey site that looks a lot like VGMarket Surveys.

Phyroxis

Witty Title Here
Apr 18, 2008
ThatJagoGuy said:
Spinwhiz said:
As a "consumer psychologist" you also know that game companies use more than a general demographic when creating and promoting their games. Much like focus groups, this is a way for different publishers to also find trends with their data, which allows them to innovate gameplay, forecast sales and make sure the consumers are getting the games they like. Also, different publishers are looking for different information, so a broad sweep of assumed demographic consumer behaviors does not work.

Also, advertisers are more likely to go after the 18-34 demographic than the 16-25 demographic you have mentioned.

As an added note, VGMarkets does not sell your information to anyone else. So, you won't be getting phone calls, emails or anything else from any outside company. We wouldn't group up with someone who would sell your information.
Yes, as a consumer psychologist [I realise how prone to hyperbolic BS the forums may be, but this is genuinely my field of expertise - your nescient quotation marks are not required, thanks] I haven't worked with the games sector yet so couldn't attest to your claims. I *do* know that online data collection has a somewhat marked history of keeping data secure. Admittedly, I know little of this particular group, but I'd be genuinely surprised if they're not under the umbrella of another, larger data-marketing company (to whom they'd be entitled to 'share' information). Admittedly, the claim that data would be overtly 'sold' is erroneous and rash.

I have no question of its legitimacy, but I'd assume that The Escapist's powers-that-be would have realised that spamming the email accounts of your patrons, trying to push survey participation as though it's in their interests, is going to disenchant a good many people. Look up how mixing up Social Economies and Monetary Economies can damage relationships and brand-image...

I fear I may not have adequately addressed all points... but regardless - I'm done. I shall hold my tongue in future... and dismay quietly.

Your profile says Psychology Student.. Perhaps by consumer psychologist you meant student-taking-a-consumer-psychology-course. Just how my Industrial Organizational Psychology courses don't make me an I/O psychologist, simply a student taking those courses. I may, one day, actually be an I/O psychologist. But, for now, I'm just a student working towards a Bachelors of Science and perhaps a Masters.

smut

Aug 4, 2007
I'm curious if this company will only accept a "limited" amount of people to do further surveys? I'm not saying they will do this, I'm just saying I'm familiar with how some survey sites exploit peoples willingness to get free stuff by doing surveys. I've personally never heard of this company but willing to give it a shot since Escapist is involved.

I've personally had good experiences with 2 survey sites I've been members of, both were recommended to me by Gamestop because Gamestop gift cards were one of the rewards you could choose. The old one years ago was u.talk.back, I think they went out of business but I did get a few $25 gift cards from them so they were legit.

The second site (which I still currently use) is erewards. Gamestop sent me an email to sign up for erewards about 4-5 months ago and I have already gotten enough credit for three $25 Gamestop cards. I've gotten 2 of them already and about to exchange my survey dollars for the third card soon. The fine print says you're only allowed to get a Gamestop card every quarter so I'm trying to wait a little longer.

I hope I have as good as an experience with this company as I did with the 2 Gamestop affiliated sites!

Terrortree

Mar 12, 2009
My advice, try to do game testing with game companies and publishers instead of possibly phony web surveys. I do Microsoft Game Testing and it is a lot of fun, plus I know that it isnt possibly a scam. They don't pay in money, but they give you a free video game of your choice as thanks. I got Gears of War 2 GOTY edition for free last time (yeah its no great shakes, but hey I didn't have to pay for it). So look up a game company in your area and see if they need some game testers. :)

mattttherman3

Dec 16, 2008
Honestly, these surveys suck, they ask me one question and then say I don't qualify and give me 10 cents, so I've made 30 cents. Just because no one in my family is in advertising or the financial market doesn't mean I don't have an opinion on it.

hearty0

Jul 22, 2008
Well I (I live in Canada) just took a $2.10 movie quiz and was credited in full, so I think that things might pick up now that they're set up(hopefully). At the very least it looks like the surveys won't all be US centered.

markt1964

Sep 2, 2010
What is, I think, the most annoying about it is that they can decide you don't qualify at any point during the survey.... *AFTER* they've actually supposedly invited you to take the survey in the first place. Considering that they are allegedly deciding what surveys to invite people to to based on their profile answers, that doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. Further, I find the whole concept of being "invited" to take a survey and then being told to just go away and come back when I'm invited to another survey later to be... well.... for lack of a better word, rude.

Phyroxis

Witty Title Here
Apr 18, 2008
mattttherman3 said:
Honestly, these surveys suck, they ask me one question and then say I don't qualify and give me 10 cents, so I've made 30 cents. Just because no one in my family is in advertising or the financial market doesn't mean I don't have an opinion on it.
Actually, being related to someone in advertising or marketing would be more reason to disqualify you than not.

Some of the screeners can be very specific, usually the big hitches are age and gender. Sometimes they can get more specific, like playing a specific genre (or even game) on a certain platform.

Part of it is luck, honestly.

beema

Aug 19, 2009
The signup page isn't even secure. Come on! It's not that hard to get a secure site these days people. I don't want to submit private data on an unsecure site.

xacto14

I don't like you.
Sep 15, 2009
how old do you have to be my dad wants to know.

EDIT: found it you need to be 13 or older.