Fillers that ruined an Anime.

fatal2704

May 8, 2010
You know the deal: you're watching the first episodes of an anime, everything is great, storyline works, and the characters are deep. Then you run across a problem. Fillers seem to kinda take away from the general experience of an anime for me. My example would be Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex. The story was mysterious and engaging, and all the characters except for the main one wore normal clothes and had actual arcs. But then fillers came and killed it. All the story lines involving tachicoma and whiny derpy derpy doo-ing ruined the streak of excellence the show had put in my heart. So tell me, Escapists, what animes have you seen that were ruined by fillers?

GamerKT

Jul 27, 2009
Naruto. 80 episodes? Are you joking?

(I know they were too close to the manga at the time.)

sms_117b

Keeper of Brannigan's Law
Oct 4, 2007
Naruto and Bleach are both ntorious for filler episodes, to theetent I no long watch either, which is a shame....But seriously, so. Much. Filler!

spartan231490

Jan 14, 2010
Bleach. Just bleach. It's more filler than anime at this point. And all the different times when the relative power levels just radically change. In the bount arc, Ichigo can't even fight as well as a damn lieutenant level, despite beating a captain in the arc previous. and in the Hueco Mundo arc, Ichigo is saved by someone he had beaten before he even unlocked bankai, and there's no way he gained more power than ichigo did with all the abilities that ichigo has gained.

Handbag1992

Apr 20, 2009
Both Naruto and Bleach, although at time of writing this has already been mentioned twice. I'm not sure if Naruto did this, but Bleach committed what I consider to be the ultimate in anime sins. Have a boring, nonsensical and unimportant filler arc, slap bang in the middle of another, far more exciting story arc.

Seriously, when the Bounto arc popped up halfway through the Heuco Mundo arc I was simultaneously pissed and confused.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya which wasn't ruined by filler but rather, by mood. The first few episodes are fine, as are all the bits of comic relief but I don't like how they over-dramatized the thing. It would have fared better as a strictly comedic series. Of course DBZ is the one that's the most notorious for filler, even DBZ Kai, which cuts out on a lot of the useless bits is still over loaded with unnecessary bits.

luckycharms8282

Mar 28, 2009
Cant make a thread about fillers in animes w/o m,mentioning DBZ. They'd spend most the majority of each episode standing around looking at each other or taking forever to power up. Good times.

Joke: How many DBZ characters does it take to screw in a lightbulb?

I dunno, how many?

One, but it takes him five episodes to do it.

:p

l3o2828

Mar 24, 2011
Naruto, Shugo Chara (Although this one was intended for small kids so i don't blame it too much for keeping things simple and repetitive)
Erm.....Bleach, One Piece....
Mostly Long Runners.
They don't move the plot forward, they just keep making up reasons for the characters to fight or just..go on a vacation or something

Nalgas D. Lemur

Nov 20, 2009
spartan231490 said:
Bleach. Just bleach. It's more filler than anime at this point. And all the different times when the relative power levels just radically change. In the bount arc, Ichigo can't even fight as well as a damn lieutenant level, despite beating a captain in the arc previous.
Thanatus1992 said:
Seriously, when the Bounto arc popped up halfway through the Heuco Mundo arc I was simultaneously pissed and confused.
Heh. I knew Bleach was going to get mentioned early and repeatedly. The really sad part is that after watching more recent episodes, the Bount filler arc looks great in comparison to the absolute clusterfuck the show devolved into. The more recent filler has been absolutely atrocious, and even most of the non-filler has been worse than the Bount arc was. I ended up watching most of the episodes from I think 200-300 or so at 1.5x speed just to see how much worse the show could possibly get and what would eventually happen with the Aizen nonsense, and holy crap did it ever get worse. As strange as it is to say it, I miss how good the Bount arc was in comparison and completely stopped watching it after the massive derp-fest of the Aizen showdown. My brain can only take so much stupid.

rabidmidget

Apr 18, 2008
The Endless Eight episodes from the second season of The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya.

In fact I had literally done an almost identical post to this one in another forum a couple of minutes ago, after realising their extent after watching the third one.

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
Dragon Ball Z. Going from the manga to anime was incredibly jarring. I know the manga didn't exactly have the quickest fight scenes, but wow, the anime takes forever to get anywhere. It was so damn bloated with filler that it was nearly unwatchable to me. Course, I have not yet watched Kai, which I have heard cut down majorly on the filler, but seriously, when you have to cut out 3/4s of a show just so it is watchable, you have a problem.

Cpu46

Gloria ex machina
Sep 21, 2009
Seeing as I generally stick to anime that are short and have two 12 episode seasons I don't really have much to base filler off of. I guess Naruto is pretty bad quantity wise but the filler is rather nice most of the time and fleshes out the characters a bit more or adds new characters that appear later. The most recent arc is actually pretty nice, going over how the villages are preparing for the great ninja war, delving into the spesifics of Naruto's shadow clones, ect. Even though it was a while back the entire Guren arc, while technically filler, consisted of some of my favorite episodes.

Lev The Red

Aug 5, 2011
naruto, bleach, and most of the DBZ (the one where piccolo learns to drive is awesome, though) fillers are terrible.
but InuYasha, Hellsing, and Full Metal Alchemist do a good job of making good filler. InuYasha's are good because they are short (only 1 episode long), funny, and expand character depth. Hellsing's are good because because they are funny, but are extremely short and only last a few minutes. FMA's are good for the same reasons as InuYasha's.

ldgoodpobad

Jun 12, 2010
One that has not been mentioned, but needs to be is Inyuasha. I watched every episode of Inyuasha and I enjoyed it when it was not in filler mode. The final season that came out in 2009 and finished the series actually worked.

An important thing to note about filler is why they exist. They typically happen because an episode of an anime covers fall more than a chapter of the manga that the anime is based on. This means the anime needs to add stuff not in the manga to fill time so the manga can get ahead again. This stuff that exists just for the anime can't have anything important happen in it because when the anime returns to the manga story line it has to ignore the filler. That is one thing Naruto filler has over Bleach filler. Naruto filler never intrudes on the main story. Bleach filler characters randomly appear in other parts of the story where they don't belong.

Ghengis John

Dec 16, 2007
Thanatus1992 said:
The bount arc came before the hueco mundo arc. I say this as somebody who just watched the entire show from start to finish. The one that came in the middle of the hueco mundo arc was the new captain arc. Truth be told though I felt a little bad for the manga staff, it had gotten to the point where Kubo (the manga author) was being forced to cut out plot elements and characters just to stay ahead of the anime (you can read up on the background of the menos forest mini-arc if you're interested in that.). So in any event I may not have liked that they did filler, but I understood the need for it instead of getting pissed and confused.

I will say that if there's any saving grace it's that Bleach filler is usually better than Naruto filler in terms of writing and general quality. And in the very least Bleach's fillers usually are condensed together, SELF CONTAINED and therefor easy to skip. Naruto dices it's filler into episodes with actual main plot elements so you have to watch EVERYTHING. No matter how bad it is. Probably the worst Bleach filler arc was the beast swords. Loooootta WTF moments there.

Alar

The Stormbringer
Dec 1, 2009
All the giant recap bits in episode of Dragonball Z, Naruto, and Yu Yu Hakusho.

Seriously, I don't need to see the last two minutes of an episode I just watched.

Don Savik

Aug 27, 2011
Most anime seems to kill its own mood if it is dragged on for too long. Comedies turn into dramas, actions turn into romances, shit melts together....and...I'm not sure why. Maybe...fan requests? Money?

Just stick with the manga as far as im concerned unless you can get a complete series dvd for a good show thats only the necessary amount of episodes it needs to tell the story.

Toriver

Lvl 20 Hedgehog Wizard
Jan 25, 2010
I watched Bleach up to just past the end of the arc with the zanpakutou rebellion against the shinigami, so I haven't been watching any of about a year and a half's worth, but I think Bleach filler is a mixed bag. Honestly, the Bount arc was alright for its purpose, giving Kubo some time to get ahead with the main story. It was at least a decent story, and the Bount were an interesting idea. I actually enjoyed the Past Arc, dealing with the creation of the vizard, and the whole zanpakutou rebellion stories. But *gyuh*, that stupid Kasumi-Ooji/new captain arc, that was just horrible. It should never have existed. Its creation was a crime against anime. I stopped watching when the filler after the zanpakutou arc was looking like it was going to fall to that level again. As badly as I wanted to see the main story again, I couldn't deal with another filler arc as dreadful as the new captain one.