Fillers that ruined an Anime.

l3o2828

Mar 24, 2011
Korten12 said:
l3o2828 said:
Naruto, Shugo Chara (Although this one was intended for small kids so i don't blame it too much for keeping things simple and repetitive)
Erm.....Bleach, One Piece....
Mostly Long Runners.
They don't move the plot forward, they just keep making up reasons for the characters to fight or just..go on a vacation or something
One Piece has a couple of them, but compared to the others, they are still fun to watch.
One piece has been going for over fucking 600 episodes and no sight of a proper end to this horrible horrible shonen anime.

so i consider the vast majority filler.

MammothBlade

It's not that I LIKE you b-baka!
Oct 12, 2011
l3o2828 said:
Korten12 said:
l3o2828 said:
Naruto, Shugo Chara (Although this one was intended for small kids so i don't blame it too much for keeping things simple and repetitive)
Mostly Long Runners.
They don't move the plot forward, they just keep making up reasons for the characters to fight or just..go on a vacation or something
One Piece has a couple of them, but compared to the others, they are still fun to watch.
One piece has been going for over fucking 600 episodes and no sight of a proper end to this horrible horrible shonen anime.

Haha. You clearly haven't watched it much, and actually it's more like 520 episodes now. The filler arcs are, by and large, good and few and far between. I thought it would have declined in quality by now, but it's still every bit as good as it used to be.

l3o2828

Mar 24, 2011
Octogunspunk said:
l3o2828 said:
Korten12 said:
l3o2828 said:
Mostly Long Runners.

Haha. You clearly haven't watched it much, and actually it's more like 520 episodes now. The filler arcs are, by and large, good. I thought it would have declined in quality by now, but it's still every bit as good as it used to be.
Ok i have to admit i haven't watched it all through, but i stopped at 150 episodes then picked it up at episode 400 then 500 and since i saw no end at all i just decided it was a shit shonen that didn't want to end At all.
and I'm mostly right, the characters, while colorful, are extremely two dimensional, the quirky art design turned me off for having absolutely zero concistency and while i was never a fan of pirates, a travesy through the ocean finding new things and going into the unknown is awesome, but One Piece never really uses its plot for nothing.

Delock

Mar 4, 2009
It wasn't technically filler, but the finale arc of Pumpkin Scissors sure felt like it. It only seemed to go into plot points the series already covered, delayed a conclusion for way too long, and wasn't all that interesting, especially in comparison to the previous arc. This literally killed the show too, as it meant it didn't get the second season it had been setting up for all this time (it might have if the final episodes were allowed to go into the secret society they'd been hinting at the entire time had shown up for more than just killing off the secondary character they'd been centering a lot of the arc around).
Hell, when I recommend the show to people, I tell them just to stop after the epilogue of the second to last arc, as it allows them to skip 5 or 6 crappy episodes (and in a 26 episode season, that's way too many).

Dizeazedkiller

Feb 11, 2011
spartan231490 said:
Bleach. Just bleach. It's more filler than anime at this point. And all the different times when the relative power levels just radically change. In the bount arc, Ichigo can't even fight as well as a damn lieutenant level, despite beating a captain in the arc previous. and in the Hueco Mundo arc, Ichigo is saved by someone he had beaten before he even unlocked bankai, and there's no way he gained more power than ichigo did with all the abilities that ichigo has gained.
I haven't watched the bount arc in a while but saying that he didn't fight at even a lieutenant level is going a bit far.At the time he was becoming far too reliant on his bankai so that was causing issues with his power levels, which he eventually figures out anyway. As for Kenpachi saving Ichigo in Hueco Mundo, Ichigo had just finished fighting number six so he was in too weak a state to fight number 5. If Ichigo had been at full strength he could have won. Think about it this way, Kenpachi had a lot of time to train while Ichigo was dong other things (if i remember correctly) and in his fight against number 5 he finishes it by using two hands on his sword. If he had used that against Ichigo the first time he had fought him he would have beaten Ichigo easily, that's like doubling his strength. There's no doubt that Ichigo is stronger but that scenario was devised to show the Kenpachi is nearly as strong. It incapacitated Ichigo for the fight and allowed Kenpachi to show his stuff.
OT: Personally the Bleach fillers dont annoy me much. There are only a few that are stupid, lik the karakurariser, but most of them are just extra arcs. As for a series that the fillers ruined it for me, I'm going to say Naruto. I haven't watched shippuden nor do i plan to. I mean the original Naruto. And it wasn't the fillers themselves that annoyed me. It was that one filler where they are trying to get kakashi's mask off only to reveal another mask... thatpissed me off so much. The epic fight between sasuke and naruto barely got the series back into my good books.

MammothBlade

It's not that I LIKE you b-baka!
Oct 12, 2011
l3o2828 said:
Octogunspunk said:
l3o2828 said:
Korten12 said:
l3o2828 said:
Mostly Long Runners.

Haha. You clearly haven't watched it much, and actually it's more like 520 episodes now. The filler arcs are, by and large, good. I thought it would have declined in quality by now, but it's still every bit as good as it used to be.
Ok i have to admit i haven't watched it all through, but i stopped at 150 episodes then picked it up at episode 400 then 500 and since i saw no end at all i just decided it was a shit shonen that didn't want to end At all.
and I'm mostly right, the characters, while colorful, are extremely two dimensional, the quirky art design turned me off for having absolutely zero concistency and while i was never a fan of pirates, a travesy through the ocean finding new things and going into the unknown is awesome, but One Piece never really uses its plot for nothing.
One of its greatest ups and downs is its length. You really have to watch it from start to finish (mostly) to appreciate the plot details. It has some mysterious plot details earlier in the show which are only now coming to be unravelled. The only thing I found really frustrating was the Ace-Sabo flashback arc. That went on for too long and I was tempted to just skip that part. Yet if you only pick it up again at 400, you're missing big chunks which explain why the Straw Hats are so infamous and so powerful. It is not Naruto or Bleach. It has alot of continuity between story arcs.

You speak for yourself. I love the animation, except for the crying...

ltbigjohn

Jul 28, 2010
but if you haven't seen the show in a week they can be very useful, remember these things were made for television.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Pretty much Naruto (and Shippuden) and Bleach are the worst offender when it come to fillers (I can't believe I had watch all Naruto fillers and two of them were really BAD). Dragonball Z was bad with fillers aswell but I didn't knew what is a filler back then.

While I understand fillers are to widen the gaps between the anime and manga but couldn't they make them more interesting and cohesive.

While Shippuden had somewhat handle the fillers better (acting as in-between and sometimes add more interesting info like Asuma and his monk friend history), Bleach does not.

Bleach drop the fillers right into an arc (Ichigo vs the 4th Espada) and we don't know when the filler is suppose to take place (yes we assume it's after Aizen but the thing is Ichigo lose his Shimigami powers afterward while in the filler he still got it) making it inconsistent Last time I check those three fillers character (Bount arc) where still in the show which add more problems to the show. Ok sure we only seen them in minor filler scenes but the fact they should of been gone just like any other filler characters.
While I know that Bleach is back on track but I am still dreading for any fillers since the gap is still not wide enough.

Fairy Tail had one filler arc but I am dreading since the anime is getting close to the manga.
While One Piece had their fair share of fillers but they handle it much better compare to Naruto and Bleach (they're shorter and sometimes add more interesting info left out in the manga and always remain funny just like the show).

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
Kare Kano. Dear God Kare Kano.

I really liked what I read from the manga that the show was based off of, so I decided to watch the anime. For the first dozen episodes, it was good. Probably the only gripe I had with it was that at the beginning of every episode, the show felt the need to re-cap everything that has happened in the story up to the point the series is at. It started to get annoying as I went further into the show, but I managed.

But then I found two episodes that were completely dedicated to recapping all of the old episodes up to that point in the series. Now if that isn't filler, then I have no idea what is.

To top it off, towards it's end, the series started to take some weird directions. One episode comprised of the characters as paper puppets, and another episode made it so that the narrator voiced over the characters throughout most of the episode. With words appearing on-screen.

Overall, both those two episodes and the odd-ball direction the series too towards it's end ruined the show for me.

spartxn

Oct 22, 2011
GamerKT said:
Naruto. 80 episodes? Are you joking?

(I know they were too close to the manga at the time.)
LOL its more then 80 at this point. Closer to 180 I do believe. Honestly the filler in that show is so bad I can't even bring myself to watch it. I just check to see if the main story is back every once in awhile, which it currently isn't.

Bleach also just cam off a a horrible Filler Arc, the worst one to date IMO.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Owyn_Merrilin said:
canadamus_prime said:
You know why the fillers exist, don't you? It's because the anime in question is, or rather was, being produced along side a still running manga counterpart. The fillers occur every time the anime outran the it's manga counter part, so the producers of the anime had to fill in the gap while waiting for the author of the manga to create the next run of stories for them to create episodes off of. Of course by the time the series is exported to other regions it's usually already completely run it's course in Japan so to us it seems like so much unnecessary fluff.
Of course some fillers can be hugely entertaining, like the driving episode of DBZ for example, I believe it was entitled "Goku's Ordeal". Watching Goku and Piccolo try and learn to drive nearly made me bust a gut.
I watched one from the original Dragon Ball the other day, called The Time Room. Basically, Mr. Popo sent Goku back in time to train under the guy who taught Master Roshi, and he met a young Roshi and a young Crane Hermit while he was there. It was hugely entertaining, and there was some actual plot development, to boot. I really wish they would just make an entire series set in that time period; there's even room for an overarching plot, since

It was during that time period that King Piccolo first showed up, and the war to defeat him was initially fought. It was Roshi's old master who wound up sealing him in a rice cooker. The reason the power levels of the martial artists at the start of the show were so insanely low is that all of the really powerful ones were killed in that war, and it was up to a few survivors to teach a new generation, often without having been fully trained themselves.

Basically, Dragon Ball filler is great when it's an entire episode or arc that has nothing to do with the Manga. It's only really a problem when they don't have room to make up random plot points, so they have to stretch out the ones that they're already working on. Cue the fight with Freeza, which took 5 minutes of plot time, but multiple hours of episodes.
Huh, I haven't seen that episode. But then there's a whole arc I haven't seen of the classic series, mostly due to me trying to watch it on a very unreliable TV network. I'm trying to collect the remastered DVDs all I'm missing is season 4 which I'm pretty sure is the one that includes the arc I haven't seen. It's the only arc I haven't seen, I've seen every other episode of the original 3 Dragon Ball series (not counting Kai).
Your right though, filler is best when it has time to build an entire story arc of it's own.
What filler irritated me the most was in Bleach when in the middle of Soul Society/Rukia Rescue thing, they inserted an episode about that doofus guy taking Ichigo's sisters and playing super heroes.

yman15

Jul 11, 2011
Naruto is really pissing me off with the filler episodes right now. Get off the f***ing ship this isn't one piece!!!!!

On a side note I started watching one piece and its really good.

CrimsonBlaze

Aug 29, 2011
I dislike filler arcs more than anything. I can understand if there are a few episodes as fillers, but whole arcs screw up the pacing of the story. The real crime is when a filler arc is good or adds something interesting to the story or characterization to the a character, only to be taken away and rendered useless because it was part of the filler universe.

Zay-el

Apr 4, 2011
l3o2828 said:
I'm sorry, but what? For starters, out of most shonen, One Piece has probably the most entertaining fillers and for a series that has gone on for more than 500 episodes, there are substantially shorter filler arcs in them. Not to mention some of them easily hold up to even the regular story arcs, such as the G8 filler.

Also, you admit you've skipped about 250 episodes and you're talking about no visible progress? I'm not sure what exactly you've expected to see, but the series has never really lost its connection to the main story-arc, other than revealing things about the treasure excruciatingly slowly, which is not a bad thing as long as you get the feeling that the creator still knows what he's doing. And believe me, if anyone, Oda REALLY knows how to flesh out a story. As for the art direction, meh, you either like it or you don't. Personally it grew on me, though I have no idea what you're talking about, when you mention lack of consistency.

And not utilizing the magic of traveling to interesting places, are you f-ing kidding me? They've been to a flying island, they've been to a Bermuda-Triangle-ish place with zombies, they've been to a desert and an icy island, they've been to an archipelago where bubbles are floating everywhere, they've been to an island of giant creatures and multitudes of other places and right now they're in an underwater city and the series just passed the halfway point not long ago. What more variety do you want, seriously?

SwimmingRock

Nov 11, 2009
fatal2704 said:
You know the deal: you're watching the first episodes of an anime, everything is great, storyline works, and the characters are deep. Then you run across a problem. Fillers seem to kinda take away from the general experience of an anime for me. My example would be Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex. The story was mysterious and engaging, and all the characters except for the main one wore normal clothes and had actual arcs. But then fillers came and killed it. All the story lines involving tachicoma and whiny derpy derpy doo-ing ruined the streak of excellence the show had put in my heart. So tell me, Escapists, what animes have you seen that were ruined by fillers?
I get what you're saying about the Tachikoma episodes, but the filler episode where Motoko ends up in the brain of a film director was actually really good and one of the stand-out moments of either series, imo. Then again, that's subjective, so it's not like I intend to change your mind.

OT: I'm not sure it qualifies as filler since it was episode 2 and served a story purpose that came up several times, but episode 2 of Needless was sooo fucking boring compared to the rest of the series. Most people stop watching after that one, thinking that episode 1 lied to them about how awesome the show would be before pulling a bait-and-switch. Not true. Episodes 3 and onwards are awesome again.

cgentero

Nov 5, 2010
Any fighting Shonen ever, but Naruto is probably the worst offender. Although I remember liking a few One Piece filler stories.

xplosive59

Jul 20, 2009
Am I the first to say Pokemon? Because thats an anime and it is about 95% filler, and most of the time it is just rehashing the same plot over and over again eg meet a new character/pokemon, team rocket show up, pikachu beats them in a fight, end!