Fillers that ruined an Anime.

ZehMadScientist

Oct 29, 2010
rabidmidget said:
The Endless Eight episodes from the second season of The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya.
This, So much this.

Sure, Naruto and Bleach have a ridiculous amount of fillers, but I consider this the worst pack filler ever created.

For those that don't know, The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya's second season had 12 episodes in total, and is about the protagonists being caught in a time loop. So the production team decided to show the exact same episode EIGHT TIMES IN A ROW, with only minor differences like their clothes being different each episode.

It was cringe worthy.

Sandytimeman

Brain Freeze...yay!
Jan 14, 2011
I used to rage about filler, but for the most part other then the already mentioned shonen animes of Naruto and Bleach I didn't really have many complaints. Except for the "kitten" episode of Shigofumi(an anime based on the premise that the dead can send on last msg to someone before they pass on to the afterlife, and the postwoman that delivers them). It was such a brutal tone shift in the anime that I dropped it almost immediately after that. Seriously the anime opens up with themes of death, rape, forced prostitution, murder, incest, and a tragic love story. I loved the first several episodes of this anime and consider them damn near works of art. But then there is this episode in which our main character chases a kitten all around town to deliver a letter to it. KILLED THE TONE! You can't go from an aborted baby sending a letter that consists of nothing but a bloody hand print to the back alley doctor that preformed the partial birth abortion, to cutesy loli kitten chasing and expect it to be kosher.

GloatingSwine

Nov 10, 2007
Korten12 said:
l3o2828 said:
Naruto, Shugo Chara (Although this one was intended for small kids so i don't blame it too much for keeping things simple and repetitive)
Erm.....Bleach, One Piece....
Mostly Long Runners.
They don't move the plot forward, they just keep making up reasons for the characters to fight or just..go on a vacation or something
One Piece has a couple of them, but compared to the others, they are still fun to watch.
Some of them.

Some of them are awful, like Ocean's Dream or basically every time Foxy shows up. (Yes, I know Foxy was in the manga as the breather arc between Skypeia and Water 7, but the manga arc with him was half as long, and wasn't bracketed by more filler, including Ocean's Dream, the dullest of all dull fillers).

ReservoirAngel

Nov 6, 2010
Thanatus1992 said:
Have a boring, nonsensical and unimportant filler arc, slap bang in the middle of another, far more exciting story arc.
Yu-Gi-Oh did that. Seperated Battle City arc from the Battle City finals arc by way of a "Trapped in Cyberspace" arc that made no sense, just ate up time, was incredibly contrived even by Yu-Gi-Oh standards, and after it's over the character it all revolved around actually says "let's pretend that never happened."

And you know what? They do. That entire arc is never mentioned ever again.

So I agree with you on that being a cardinal sin of anime. Because of that boring bullshit I stopped watching the show. Only finally saw the Battle City finals years later when they were re-running it.

Thing is, they did this twice! Sort of. They had two "virtual" stories, where the characters went into cyber-space. At least the first one was only 3 episodes long and slotted in between major story arcs. Still fucking pointless and is never mentioned again.

Kind of creepy too (seriously, who designs a virtual princess to look just like their little brother? Lots of squick to be had with the motivation behind that design choice. Both in-show and in planning the storyline.)

Chased

Sep 17, 2010
I heavily avoid anime that generally consists of filler just for the sake of not wanting to sit through 300+ episodes. I'd much rather watch two or three separate anime series than one.

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
rabidmidget said:
The Endless Eight episodes from the second season of The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya.

In fact I had literally done an almost identical post to this one in another forum a couple of minutes ago, after realising their extent after watching the third one.
Eh, in fairness to Endless Eight, the plot point itself was canon (though the execution was the anime's idea, and a very annoying one at that), and (while I would NOT be surprised if the dev team was just trolling the userbase), it does provide a brief glimpse at the horror of a groundhog day loop, making Yuki's little revelation hold that much more impact. Eight nearly identical episodes are bad enough...she had to consciously relive those weeks for over 200 years.

Prof. Monkeypox

Mar 17, 2010
I'd say that Naruto's legendarily absurd filler length would have killed the show for me but, in truth, I felt it was going downhill anyway. The filler was just the last nail in the coffin.

fatal2704

May 8, 2010
Kurt Cristal said:
fatal2704 said:
You know the deal: you're watching the first episodes of an anime, everything is great, storyline works, and the characters are deep. Then you run across a problem. Fillers seem to kinda take away from the general experience of an anime for me. My example would be Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex. The story was mysterious and engaging, and all the characters except for the main one wore normal clothes and had actual arcs. But then fillers came and killed it. All the story lines involving tachicoma and whiny derpy derpy doo-ing ruined the streak of excellence the show had put in my heart. So tell me, Escapists, what animes have you seen that were ruined by fillers?
Are you referring to the standalone self-contained episodes? Or just the annoying Tachikoma-centric ones? Either way, those were abundantly more tolerable than that "Night Cruise" episode. We interrupt your futuristic espionage show to bring a paranoid schizophrenic rambling for 20 minutes. Guh. Most of the episodes were fine for me, though.
Oh Christ, that chat room episode was painful. If that was the one you were talking about, I haven't finished all of them yet. But some were good, like the film episode and the scarred serial killer bit where a ton of emphasis was put on Bato, my favorite character.

Nalgas D. Lemur

Nov 20, 2009
spartan231490 said:
I never even finished the aizen arc. I just couldn't take it anymore and stopped. The fact that Ichigo's level of strength follows the path of a seismograph print-out if you throw it in a washing machine and then a dryer just ruined the whole thing for me.

The bount arc was tolerable, before that was awesome, and the rest just got worse and worse and worse. So much ruined potential that it really made me die a little inside.
Yeah, the first 50-60 episodes were great, but then it just slowly went downhill after that. I nearly gave up on it several times, but either my girlfriend wanting to watch it got me started again, or a combination of morbid curiosity and boredom when I was sick and had nothing better to do did. It helps that you can get through an entire episode in just over 12 minutes in fast forward with the opening/closing credits and commercials edited out, or at least that's how fast I could go and still keep up with the subtitles. I just had to see for myself if the end of that arc was as dumb as everyone else said it was...and it was. Heh.

ecoho

Jun 16, 2010
l3o2828 said:
Octogunspunk said:
l3o2828 said:
Korten12 said:
l3o2828 said:
Naruto, Shugo Chara (Although this one was intended for small kids so i don't blame it too much for keeping things simple and repetitive)
Mostly Long Runners.
They don't move the plot forward, they just keep making up reasons for the characters to fight or just..go on a vacation or something
One Piece has a couple of them, but compared to the others, they are still fun to watch.
One piece has been going for over fucking 600 episodes and no sight of a proper end to this horrible horrible shonen anime.

so i consider the vast majority filler.
Haha. You clearly haven't watched it much, and actually it's more like 520 episodes now. The filler arcs are, by and large, good. I thought it would have declined in quality by now, but it's still every bit as good as it used to be.
Ok i have to admit i haven't watched it all through, but i stopped at 150 episodes then picked it up at episode 400 then 500 and since i saw no end at all i just decided it was a shit shonen that didn't want to end At all.
and I'm mostly right, the characters, while colorful, are extremely two dimensional, the quirky art design turned me off for having absolutely zero concistency and while i was never a fan of pirates, a travesy through the ocean finding new things and going into the unknown is awesome, but One Piece never really uses its plot for nothing.
first its so long because the manga is still going. second watch everything then you can complain.

Drakmeire

Elite Member
Jun 27, 2009
Country
United States
The Bane of my anime existence was Toriko.
Know why? Because even the story arcs were filler.
My favorite anime are Gurren Lagann, Soul Eater, Madoka Magica, and Trigun because things get done and they get done quickly (Even though soul eater had an 6-part battle, it was a good battle).
Torriko spent 3 damn episodes walking to the bottom of a cave to eat a fish, one episode was just an overly-long fight against a monster. the next arc spent 3 episodes in the same place in a boring fight after ignoring the giant monster they were hunting. then they go to catch it and that takes another 5 episodes.
Just because they would use filler dialog, overly-long explanations, and charge attacks for half an episode.

Reed Spacer

That guy with the thing.
Jan 11, 2011
l3o2828 said:
Korten12 said:
l3o2828 said:
Mostly Long Runners.
One piece has been going for over fucking 600 episodes and no sight of a proper end to this horrible horrible shonen anime.

The manga is somewhere in the sixties book-wise, so calling the anime out for filler episodes is the equivalent of calling out the ocean for being deep and salty.

IceForce

Is this memes?
Legacy
Dec 11, 2012
Reed Spacer said:
l3o2828 said:
Korten12 said:
l3o2828 said:
Mostly Long Runners.

The manga is somewhere in the sixties book-wise, so calling the anime out for filler episodes is the equivalent of calling out the ocean for being deep and salty.
I have no idea why you're quoting a banned user from 3 years ago.

Seems pretty pointless.