Film Studio The Weinstein Company Enters Into the Videogame Biz

Garrett Grothe

Feb 18, 2011
Film Studio The Weinstein Company Enters Into the Videogame Biz

We are now closer than ever to a game based on The King's Speech.

The Weinstein Company [http://www.weinsteinco.com/#/home], known for fostering some cult hit films over the years such as Halloween and Hellraiser in addition to this year's winner of the Oscar for Best Picture, has gone and created a spiffy new videogame label, TWC Games.

TWC Games is consulting with Beefy Media [http://beefymedia.com/], a videogame production company, to gain publishing deals. Beefy Media is headed up by ex-director of production at Capcom, Adam Boyes. "I share their vision for creating very high quality content for the marketplace," said Boyes about the new label.

While it's currently unknown as to whether or not TWC Games will produce games based on existing films or create entirely new IPs, the press release only makes mention of existing horror franchises under The Weinstein Company flag. It wouldn't be at all surprising if TWC Games pursued creating titles intended to scare the pants off players.

Games under the new label could appear on any available platforms, ranging from social networks to consoles. Co-chairman of The Weinstein Company, Bob Weinstein expressed his enthusiasm about the new label, "With all of the digital platforms, there are so many opportunities to broaden our audience with compelling, high quality, cost-efficient, videogame entertainment," said Weinstein.

Boyes and the rest at Beefy Media have helped bring past Capcom titles to fruition such as the Bionic Commando reboot as well Dark Void and a variety of other downloadable titles.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Wait...
Garrett Grothe said:
We are now closer than ever to a game based on The King's Speech.
Can someone elighten me on just what about The Kings Speech makes it eligable for any kind of game adaptation?

Enkidu88

Jan 24, 2010
Garrett Grothe said:
Boyes and the rest at Beefy Media have helped bring past Capcom titles to fruition such as the Bionic Commando reboot as well Dark Void and a variety of other downloadable titles.
Not a good sign when the two most notable games from the company are also two of the worst games in recent memory. :p Though Dark Void had potential, and could have been great had they given it a bit more love (and money) in development.

Verlander

Apr 22, 2010
Just because a film company is going into games, doesn't mean they are going to make filmy games.

The Weinstein company have been great distributors of foreign films to America for a long time, and Producers of others for the last 6 years or so. They are involved in some great film titles, and some cult classics. So I'm all for this. Check out these credentials:

http://www.imdb.com/company/co0150452/

teknoarcanist

Jun 9, 2008
Oh, snap, the Weinsteins are going into games :O :O :O

Seriously, the brothers are how producing is done right.

(Hint: they made Miramax)

I'm actually pretty optimistic about this.

Trogdor1138

May 28, 2010
Great, now we can see them put out even more shit, change peoples visions around and butcher foreign products for no reason, with videogames.

I smell a possible contender for Activision.

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
Who else is in favor of pre-emptively writing in and telling them we'll love them forever if they adopt a strict policy of releasing their games DRM-free?