Film This Chick Stuff! Part Two: Film It!

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Film This Chick Stuff! Part Two: Film It!

Will these geek girl movies ever get made? Maybe. Possibly. Perhaps not.

Read Full Article

npath

Apr 2, 2010
And much like Yogi Bear and the Smurfs, a live action "My Little Pony" would be unavoidably terrible.

Off topic: My mom has a few of her Barbie & Ken dolls from when she was a kid in the 60s, and they totally have knees!

Also off topic: War-fighting and stuff-building are two of my favorite things!

TwistedEllipses

Nov 18, 2008
There's definitely a horse/unicorn theme running through these...I guess cats and dogs are more lovable, but they're a tad harder to ride...

RoBi3.0

Mar 29, 2009
I a completely Heterosexual male, would watch me the shit out of a She-ra movie long before I went to see a He-man movie.

Zosephine

Dec 4, 2008
JuggernautFox said:
The funny thing is that, as a dude, I would totally watch a live-action Carmen Sandiego movie.
I'm wondering who WOULDN'T totally watch a Carmen Sandiego movie. :D

minky

Jan 11, 2010
You ask "why there hasn't been a "lady equivalent" to Transformers or G.I. Joe on the big screen as of yet", but don't you think that Harry Potter, and The Golden Compass are examples of female geekdom? Not to mention Twilight... I mean, I know boys do read them too, but at my school, they were definately more of a girl thing.
Although I loved My Little Pony and Sylvanian Families as a child, I have no desire to see them on the big screen... when girls grow up, they replace these "cute characters" with REAL cuteness; ie, pets or babies. And boys replace toy robots with real cars or motorbikes or video game simulations :)
p.s: every other example on your list made me feel ill and embarrassed to be a woman. The characters in that 'Sailor Moon' especially makes me want to vomit or kick something.

omegawyrm

Nov 23, 2009
One thing we didn't bring up during the thread last week, there actually was an animated Wonder Woman movie released by Bruce Timm's studio last year. That movie was actually quite excellent, easily one of the best of the direct to video DC Universe movies the studio has been putting out for the past few years. Unfortunately it sold poorly enough that the producers decided they can't profitably do any more animated films based around female characters. I know Bob didn't include it in his final list, just noting it for curiosity.

xyrafhoan

Jan 11, 2010
I love Sailor Moon but I don't think it works well in live action, as much as Japan likes to try. And Barbie has had her own movies, made by Mainframe (sound familiar?), though they were all direct-to-DVD. The thing that hinders live-action Barbie is that the only direction I could see the franchise going is the stereotype rom-com. After all, how many other movies outside of fairy tails have someone as Prince Charming archetype as Ken?

I didn't really get into any other girl's media except Carebears, which isn't on the list.

Feb 13, 2008
Onyx Oblivion said:
A Sailor Moon movie...Hmm...

Who the hell would play Tuxedo Mask?!
You know who they've already thought of. One of two people. Both from the same film. Don't give them ideas.

My Little Pony:

But Jem would be truly, truly, truly OUTRAGEOUS!

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Kinda surprised Powerpuff Girls wasn't mentioned but really, if you pasted the title Powerpuff Girls over the Sailor Moon bit, you would be...well, not completely wrong. I think another point against PPG is that it was accessible to boys (though few would admit it).

Hell, I'm a boy and I liked it. It was fun! They parodied other heroes, had imaginative villains (like the alien broccoli) and...relevant third thing!

Aurgelmir

WAAAAGH!
Nov 11, 2009
My first thought when reading the last part was Jem.

Why?

Because unlike a lot of the other girl shows it's the one that fits a more realistic style the most.

My little Pony lacks humans, Care Bears lack humans, Strawberry Shortcake is a kid, so is the color girl.

But if you need ideas for girls shows:

Watch robot Chicken

That show is a trip down nostalgia lane

Jjkaybomb

Nov 22, 2009
All of those girl show are from the eighties... =/
Why is all the nostalgia focus on that time period? Nineties kids are in or nearing their twenties, is that not old enough to be nostalgic?

TheGreenGoblin

Jun 4, 2009
Nope. 90s babies haven't gotten themselves solid careers with good, steady pay. (Good for you if you're 20 and totally set. I'm speaking about the majority here.) We are 10 years away from 90s nostalgia becoming prominent though. Maybe they'll make a Pokemon movie or something. *smirk*

I would see a Jem movie on opening night. I loved Jem when it was embarrassing to do so. Japan made a hyper version of Jem called Bubble Gum Crisis about a girl named Priss that gets in a metal armored suit and blows shit up when she's done singing. Yeah, yeah I know, Blade Runner, but when the singing chick started putting on armor my heart went "Yay, Jem!"

I wish I were a hotshot movie executive so I could green light Jem right now.

shogunblade

Apr 13, 2009
I actually remember watching a lot of Rainbow Brite with my sister (...We only had one television...)

Nevertheless, I would watch the Shit out of a Rainbow Brite Movie. The only way it would be awesome is if you wrote it without all the atypical teenage girl cliches, but adopted a sort of "Star Wars" kind of style to it: Girl with no real unique ability becomes a legendary guardian of color, something like that.

It's the only way you could make it worth watching.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Ninja'd so many times, yeah, Robot Chicken. Then again, they have predicted a few toy themed movies that are actually being made in to real movies, so maybe we will see these.

The Random One

May 29, 2008
Stiffkittin said:
I'm male and I'd go see a Jem movie. It's got all the superspy/industrial espionage ingredients for a cool action film and an interesting and challenging setup for a drama if taken down a more realistic channel. All with a well-developed and sympathetic protagonist.

Also, the girls home and super-computer draw some interesting similarities to the X-Men. Protecting gifted youngsters with a troubled past? That's a great setup right there. This franchise has tons of potential to appeal to all genders.
I'm male and if the pitch to the Jem movie was how Bob made it (what if Hannah Montana is Batman?) then I'd be all over it as well.

You know, the problem here, I think, is that Hollywood still has issues coming up with nice female characters. That problem's only gonna get aggravated if it's done on a franchise made in the eighties and targeting young girls - the characters aren't going to be very well developed to begin with, so the moviemakers have more room to keep them lame by claiming they are sticking to the source material. Although child characters don't have this problem and there are plenty.

Hmmmm... A Rainbow Brite movie? I thought Rainbow Brite was a brand of sponges up to this day.