Film This Chick Stuff! Part Two: Film It!

Actual

Jun 24, 2008
How did Care Bears not even get a mention!? It's by far the biggest female aimed cartoon show from the era of our childhood. Hell I'm, for the important parts, male and I have fond memories of the freaking Care bears!

Squigie

Nov 20, 2009
MovieBob said:
The live-action version of Cutie Honey is probably the most accurate translation of shoujo-style visuals to reality.
This is one of those common problems with Japanese entertainment, identifying works as "shonen" (boys') or "shoujo" (girls'). Looking at Cutie Honey's wikipedia article [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cutie_honey], it was published in a magazine called Shōnen Champion, and, "According to Nagai, she is the first female to be the protagonist of a shōnen manga series."

Without some research it can be tricky to tell for the unexperianced, especially with the magical girl genre, but there are usually some major clues.

For an example, Chobits [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rH8AXBIxfWY]. The series is draped in massive amounts of pink and unbearable cuteness, but it's story is about a romance between a naive, utterly helpless and frequently naked robot girl and a mild-mannered, down on his luck nice guy. It's target audience is not female.

Then there is the video game series Sengoku Basara. I don't know what Capcom's target demographic is for it, but since the games are about gorgeous, hot-blooded men screaming each other's names its largely female following in Japan is unsurprising.

VondeVon

Dec 30, 2009
I was a little depressed that all these shows aimed at girls featured girls as the main character(s).

I know, I know. Big shock.

But... when I think of modern cartoons (shutup) that I enjoy watching.. Fairly OddParents, Ben 10, Avatar etc... well, obviously females aren't the focus of these cartoons and yet I love 'em.

(Although I've just caught the 'grown up' series of Ben 10 and have actually been pretty turned off by how focused it seems to be on Gwen and Kevin's budding relationship. What the hell? And does it need to be rubbed in my face EVERY. EPISODE? What, are they afraid pre-teen fangirls will make Ben and Kevin do the naughty if they don't make it absolutely clear that Kevin is in a firmly heterosexual relationship? Pah. Uh, /Rant.)

VondeVon

Dec 30, 2009
Liam Bilton said:
Has anybody else seen the sucker punch trailer and thought that it looked a little bit like Sailor Moon. I'm not exactly a massive fan but I can see the similarities. Looks awesome though.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MnF4SpS9gUw&feature=fvst Here it is incase you haven't.
The movie COULD have been this.

Or like this! :D

MB202

Sep 14, 2008
I rather like Waluigi. Even if the whole purpose of his existence is to fill up space in a character roster.

Furrama

Jul 24, 2008
So, I'm also dated 1987. When do the 90's kids, (I am a girl, but this goes for boys too), get their decade of remakes and nostalgia movies? The 80's kids got the 00's, I thought the teens were going to be our years? Why does it look like this is going to be another 80's decade with remakes of the 00's remakes? Heck, I even remember the 70's kids getting their stuff in the 90's, if we don't get a turn are we going to be skipped?

It's like Hollywood is afraid of all the anime we had circa 1996- and here's a hint guys, you film it in the setting it was designed to have. If Americans can get blue 'naturistic' cat people they can grasp Shintoism and Japan. If the main characters are set specifically in Japan then they should be Asian. If not then anything goes.

Furrama

Jul 24, 2008
Squigie said:
MovieBob said:
The live-action version of Cutie Honey is probably the most accurate translation of shoujo-style visuals to reality.
This is one of those common problems with Japanese entertainment, identifying works as "shonen" (boys') or "shoujo" (girls'). Looking at Cutie Honey's wikipedia article [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cutie_honey], it was published in a magazine called Shōnen Champion, and, "According to Nagai, she is the first female to be the protagonist of a shōnen manga series."

Without some research it can be tricky to tell for the unexperianced, especially with the magical girl genre, but there are usually some major clues.

For an example, Chobits [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rH8AXBIxfWY]. The series is draped in massive amounts of pink and unbearable cuteness, but it's story is about a romance between a naive, utterly helpless and frequently naked robot girl and a mild-mannered, down on his luck nice guy. It's target audience is not female.

Then there is the video game series Sengoku Basara. I don't know what Capcom's target demographic is for it, but since the games are about gorgeous, hot-blooded men screaming each other's names its largely female following in Japan is unsurprising.
This. Yes, PLEASE, please, people need to tell the difference between girly looking stuff that's made for guys/girls and guy looking stuff made for girls/guys.

Azumanga Dio/Lucky Star- Girly looking, though made for everyone.

Black Butler- Almost looks like a guy's kind of thing at first with all the demons and blood and fighting but watch out. Lots of male bonding and fan service with a large female audience.

Ouran Highschool Host Club- GILRS. Made by them for them, the main cast might be almost all male, (with one girl pretending to be a guy), but the flowers and sparkles tip this one off.

Love Hina/Ai Yori Aoshi/all other harem- There might be mostly girls, but there's one guy between them all. Guess what?

Club to Death Angel- ? Who gets off on this?

Eiken- /facepalm. I... why? Don't even Google this. NO. Cut that out. Go watch the AMV Hells or something, you'll see a clip or two there. That's as much as you need to see. And it's actually somewhat funny there, instead of just kindof sad.

Sheinen

Apr 22, 2009
minky said:
You ask "why there hasn't been a "lady equivalent" to Transformers or G.I. Joe on the big screen as of yet", but don't you think that Harry Potter, and The Golden Compass are examples of female geekdom? Not to mention Twilight... I mean, I know boys do read them too, but at my school, they were definately more of a girl thing.
Although I loved My Little Pony and Sylvanian Families as a child, I have no desire to see them on the big screen... when girls grow up, they replace these "cute characters" with REAL cuteness; ie, pets or babies. And boys replace toy robots with real cars or motorbikes or video game simulations :)
p.s: every other example on your list made me feel ill and embarrassed to be a woman. The characters in that 'Sailor Moon' especially makes me want to vomit or kick something.
Hey! Golden Compass may have a girly heroine...and the film was pretty shit, but I wouldn't say it was a girl franchise. The books had more war, violence and manly kick-assness in than LotR! As did the ol' HP.

If we're gonna get in to girls books look at the House of Night series. Unfortunately I own them all, but I'm not straying from my point - they are girly! So are the True Blood books and yes, Twilight...why are girls books all about vampires?

wammnebu

Sep 25, 2010
Jem is the very embodiment of the eighties, so i would love to see that

But who wouldnt want to watch a Carmen Sandiego movie, that would be awesome, except the chief died, thats a bummer

Gilhelmi

The One Who Protects
Oct 22, 2009
Just in case it has not been said, they did make an American Girl movie.

Kit Kittredge: An American Girl

Set in Cincinnati at the height of the Great Depression, Kit Kittredge, a resourceful young girl, helps her mother run a boardinghouse after her father loses his job. (source IMDB)

carpathic

Oct 5, 2009
Seems safe to assume that none of these things will be turned into movies. Though I am pretty sure that I saw a Sailor Moon hentai a few times, other that that, there is not a whole lot of options like these.

I guess the 'girls' will have to keep on seeing 'guy' stuff.

EmilShmiengura

Feb 17, 2009
Seriously Bob? It has come to these titles to find a movie that appeals to women? Jem?! Pony?!? Not that the titles that are men-oriented are better. I kinda feel like geeks are starting to ruin the film-industry,in the same way they once revitalised it. Maybe it's time to let go of some stuf. I'm tired of going to the cinema and feeling like I'm watching a "Fan of the 80's show" . Could you people look at the crap that's coming out lately just beacause of the geeks?! oh, and speaking of going to the movies, ever felt like when you were standing in line at the cinema you were surrounded by Comic-Book Guy? I now i have, and I'm fed up.

Xanian

Oct 19, 2009
Ugh...just...ugh. This is why girls grow up quickly...our childhood toys stink.

And Barbie already has a live action movie. It's called Legally Blonde.

Nocturnal Gentleman

Mar 12, 2010
All of these except Carmen Sandiego would not make good movies. I wouldn't even consider these things "girl Geek" series since most of these things were loved by girls who would never consider themselves geeks. You know what? Forget these series/toys. I want a Cybersix movie. I actually liked that as a show.

Nocturnal Gentleman

Mar 12, 2010
Xanian said:
Ugh...just...ugh. This is why girls grow up quickly...our childhood toys stink.
I know right? It's like when they get to girls toys they don't even try. Look at the boys section with their shape-shifting robots, monster vehicles, castles, space sets, underwater adventure sets, creatures of all kinds, and all sorts of super heroes. Then you look at the girls section with our kitchen appliances, fashion dolls, baby dolls, baby-looking animals, and cleaning supplies. What about putting in some effort? What about barbie undersea mansion, shape-shifting magical creatures,or a magical potion/mad science kit for girls?

FieryTrainwreck

Apr 16, 2010
What a sexist article. Apparently the success of superhero/toy movies can't be even partially attributed to girls who grew up with comics and cool toys versus incredibly insulting crap like Rainbow Bright and My Little Pony. Attempting to resurrect what were clearly very stereotypical "girl" properties seems like the kind of backwards "empowerment" that has all but derailed modern feminism.

Lyndraco

Jun 12, 2008
Apart from the sexism of focusing something directly at females, I would totally watch She-Ra or Jem (course, I'm also a child of the 80s). I demanded that I have a She-Ra birthday party when I turned four (eons ago), then ran around the house yelling that I was the princess of power. LOL.

Anyway, the topic of manliness in youth and the opposing female roles is a really interesting topic, most of these ideas come from vestiges of Victorian Era thought. For anyone that is interested in pursuing this, take a look at the book Manliness and Civilization. Its an academic book, but an interesting read. Not that this is going to save us from what movie producers think women should be watching at the theater, but knowing where some of this mentality is coming from almost makes it bearable.