Filmmaker Pits Wonder Woman Against Nazis

s_h_a_d_o

Mr Propellerhead
Jun 15, 2010
134
0
0
sageoftruth said:
Well, this is unexpected. She's a DC comics super hero, perhaps the first female counterpart to Superman (I don't know for sure). Look her up on wikipedia and you should get everything you need.
Fanghawk said:
s_h_a_d_o said:
Fanghawk said:
Filmmaker Pits Wonder Woman Against Nazis

An unofficial trailer may have stumbled on an approach to Woman Woman that gets everyone excited (except for Nazis)...

[snip]
All well and good but...

Who the hell is "Woman Woman"?
Gah... thanks for pointing that out. Fixed.
You're welcome.
Obviously couldn't rely on sageofsarcasm.
;)
 

Chessrook44

Senior Member
Legacy
Jul 3, 2020
558
1
23
Country
United States
Trishbot said:
It amazes me that Marvel nailed the "tone" of comic book movies so well. Captain America, Thor, Hulk, Iron Man... they're all almost straight out of the comics, bringing with them a sense of fun and even wackiness that many believed couldn't be done in a movie, because for a long time everyone felt that EVERY movie had to be like Batman (put every hero in black! Make it all gritty and serious! Say that every new reboot is "like Batman Begins!", etc.)
It's not that amazing, really. The Marvel movies were made and funded by MARVEL. The people who MADE the comics in the first place. The DC movies have all been made by people who bought the rights from the people who made the comics. The movie people ended up with more say in things.
 

Neverhoodian

New member
Apr 2, 2008
3,832
0
0
The music's...off. It needs something...
There we go!

As for the setting and time period...ehhh. I loved the Captain America film, but placing Wonder Woman in World War II feels a bit off. Even more strange is the final shots that appear to take place in modern times. Is an unnaturally long lifespan one of Wonder Woman's powers or something?

Also, why would Wonder Woman resort to using guns? Doesn't she have powers and abilities that rival Superman? Why not just fly up there and smash the ME-109 with her bare fists?

(Feel free to correct me on my critique, my Wonder Woman knowledge is somewhat lacking)

It's still a good effort for a fan creation, though.
 

Tiamattt

New member
Jul 15, 2011
557
0
0
Eri said:
This is stupid. This makes her look like she's some female version of Captain America. She doesn't use guns. She doesn't need to put forth effort to kill guards. She's almost a female Superman, she could flick her finger and kill several people.

This is no Wonder Woman.
Yeah I was getting that feeling too. Especially during the shooting down the plane scene, that didn't feel like her at all. (Mainly because she doesn't need a stupid gun to take down a plane)

Although I'm GUESSING this will be like a origin type film where she gets her powers later? I dunno, only way I can see them making sense out of this trailer.
 

MorganL4

Person
May 1, 2008
1,364
0
0
Desert Punk said:
Milanezi said:
BUT DON'T TURN WONDER WOMAN INTO BLOOD RAYNE!!! Not to mention that... NAZIES AGAIN?! I mean, I totally dig them in Captain America, they were essential and expected to be plot, they are part of the story. But with Wonder Woman? Why? Because you can't find someone better? Geez...
Wonder Woman fighting nazis came well before Blood Rayne

Yep....... That is how she go her start fighting the Nazis...... The whole idea was that Nazis were shovenists that would force women into a lower class than men ( Not sure how accurate that is historically, in fact it could just be a bill of goods that Trevor sold the Amazons) And thus Diana opted to fight for the USA and the Allies.

Tiamattt said:
Eri said:
This is stupid. This makes her look like she's some female version of Captain America. She doesn't use guns. She doesn't need to put forth effort to kill guards. She's almost a female Superman, she could flick her finger and kill several people.

This is no Wonder Woman.
Yeah I was getting that feeling too. Especially during the shooting down the plane scene, that didn't feel like her at all. (Mainly because she doesn't need a stupid gun to take down a plane)

Although I'm GUESSING this will be like a origin type film where she gets her powers later? I dunno, only way I can see them making sense out of this trailer.
Wonder Woman got her powers from being an Amazon.... there was no " you have obsorbed enough sun" or "you put on the ring" or " you were injected with a super serum" She had them from being born ( use the term loosely as she is technically a golem made from clay)
 

Tiamattt

New member
Jul 15, 2011
557
0
0
MorganL4 said:
Desert Punk said:
Milanezi said:
BUT DON'T TURN WONDER WOMAN INTO BLOOD RAYNE!!! Not to mention that... NAZIES AGAIN?! I mean, I totally dig them in Captain America, they were essential and expected to be plot, they are part of the story. But with Wonder Woman? Why? Because you can't find someone better? Geez...
Wonder Woman fighting nazis came well before Blood Rayne

Yep....... That is how she go her start fighting the Nazis...... The whole idea was that Nazis were shovenists that would force women into a lower class than men ( Not sure how accurate that is historically, in fact it could just be a bill of goods that Trevor sold the Amazons) And thus Diana opted to fight for the USA and the Allies.

Tiamattt said:
Eri said:
This is stupid. This makes her look like she's some female version of Captain America. She doesn't use guns. She doesn't need to put forth effort to kill guards. She's almost a female Superman, she could flick her finger and kill several people.

This is no Wonder Woman.
Yeah I was getting that feeling too. Especially during the shooting down the plane scene, that didn't feel like her at all. (Mainly because she doesn't need a stupid gun to take down a plane)

Although I'm GUESSING this will be like a origin type film where she gets her powers later? I dunno, only way I can see them making sense out of this trailer.
Wonder Woman got her powers from being an Amazon.... there was no " you have obsorbed enough sun" or "you put on the ring" or " you were injected with a super serum" She had them from being born ( use the term loosely as she is technically a golem made from clay)
I know WW's origin. :p
Just trying to make sense out of senseless, it's one of my major flaws. :D
 

Albino Boo

New member
Jun 14, 2010
4,667
0
0
MorganL4 said:
Yep....... That is how she go her start fighting the Nazis...... The whole idea was that Nazis were shovenists that would force women into a lower class than men ( Not sure how accurate that is historically, in fact it could just be a bill of goods that Trevor sold the Amazons) And thus Diana opted to fight for the USA annd the allies
The nazis gave out medals for women having babies and pre war they activitly pushed women out of government jobs and encouraged other employers to do the same. Women in Germany did not take over from men in factories until 1943 leaving the Germans with smaller armed forces as a % of the population until that point.
 

RyQ_TMC

New member
Apr 24, 2009
1,002
0
0
MorganL4 said:
Yep....... That is how she go her start fighting the Nazis...... The whole idea was that Nazis were shovenists that would force women into a lower class than men ( Not sure how accurate that is historically, in fact it could just be a bill of goods that Trevor sold the Amazons) And thus Diana opted to fight for the USA and the Allies.
Huh, can't help but be reminded of the crazy feminist in Teranesia who claimed that the Holocaust was just a stepping stone to the Nazis' ultimate goal of eliminating all women.

(BTW, to answer your concern, the Nazi approach to women was pretty much exactly the same as in other Western countries at the time. They did push them more to have babies, but at least in theory, that was a temporary policy to bump up the properly ethnic population for colonization of the East)

OT: Nazis... really? Yes, I know she fought Nazis one time, but so did every other superhero created before/during WW2. Even non-superhero characters did. It's called propaganda. I really hate when they're used as villains in fiction, because they're such a lazy cop-out. They don't need motivation, they don't need to make sense - they're Nazis! You can slap any outrageously stupid world-domination plan on, you can assign them any prejudice, nobody will question if it's historically accurate, because the way we depict Nazis is a caricature grown out of Soviet and American wartime propaganda and we never want to be reminded that they were humans, just like us. That we are capable of repeating what they did, if the right set of circumstances arises (not necessarily the same). And God forbid anyone mentions that the Nazi ideology was inspired by 19th-century US of A.

That's it for the rant. But I also feel the need to point out that where male superheros act in offense, WW here reacts in defense. Ye gods, I'm turning into a feminist.
 

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
17,356
1,496
118
Maybe they should just stick with animated Wonder Woman, because this costume simply does not translate well to live-action.

And am I to understand Nazis have been gone long enough to be cool again?
 

Vegosiux

New member
May 18, 2011
4,381
0
0
Casual Shinji said:
And am I to understand Nazis have been gone long enough to be cool again?
I wonder how long Genghis Khan had to be gone until he became cool again. History loves irony.

My problem with Nazi antagonists is rather simple: generic, uncreative, lazy writing. "Oh we need a plot and some bad guys. I know, let's just recycle the Nazis again!"
 

i_ramiz

New member
Jun 13, 2011
3
0
0
MorganL4 said:
She had them from being born ( use the term loosely as she is technically a golem made from clay)
Emm... She is, now, daughter of Zeus, actually
 

anian

New member
Sep 10, 2008
288
0
0
Although I really didn't get into Cap America movie, it did a cool blend of retro and sf elements and as far as story goes, Cap had a reason to be there in the war, a worthy enemy (Red Skull being same as him but evil and henchmen with "lasers") and there was an explanation why he was in present times to join the Avengers.

Since, as far as I understand it, WW is more fantasy and mythology, like Thor might be, they should concentrate on that.
Batman is pretty much a stand alone movie property, but if you want to join them all in a movie (even if not, I think the less comic reading audiences would prefer a similar style between heroes from the same universe), you have to decide what kind of movie it's gonna be....

...anyway, this is a nice and interesting attempt, but wouldn't WW punch a hole through a wall rather than have to escape through a bunch of minions, punch a plane out of the sky rather than shooting it down etc.?
 
Apr 5, 2008
3,736
0
0
Desert Punk said:
Milanezi said:
BUT DON'T TURN WONDER WOMAN INTO BLOOD RAYNE!!! Not to mention that... NAZIES AGAIN?! I mean, I totally dig them in Captain America, they were essential and expected to be plot, they are part of the story. But with Wonder Woman? Why? Because you can't find someone better? Geez...
Wonder Woman fighting nazis came well before Blood Rayne
That film was a travesty. So was the wild west one. As a fan of Bloodrayne I prefer to ignore those two ever happened and be thankful for the first one.

Is Wonder Woman a brawler then? I don't really know what her thing is, beyond a golden lasso and some nonsense about invisible planes or the like. Oh and the deflecting bullets with her wrist braces. Would probably check out a movie that was made for her, though at today's prices it probably wouldn't be at the cinema.
 

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Apr 30, 2020
18,157
1
3
Country
UK
It was ok I guess. I always did thought if they wanted to make a successful live action Wonder Woman they would approach it more on the Greek Mythological side like they did with the animated movies and also adjusting her costume to make it less silly in real life if they still insist on a WW2 or modern setting (like that jacket one she had before the new 52).
 

Alandoril

New member
Jul 19, 2010
532
0
0
They should just run with what's happening in the New 52. That version of Wonder Woman is awesome.
 

Shoggoth2588

New member
Aug 31, 2009
10,250
0
0
That looked awesome! The only potential issue I see here is the WB using the Captain America movie as a template and just swapping out Cap for Wonder Woman.