Filmmaker Pits Wonder Woman Against Nazis

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011

An unofficial trailer may have stumbled on an approach to Wonder Woman that gets everyone excited (except for Nazis).

Wonder Woman is a character that's had some very mixed receptions. On the one hand, people love her; she's arguably the most popular female superhero ever created, and stands as an equal alongside Batman and Superman. On the other hand, she's had <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/110007-NBC-Turns-Down-Wonder-Woman-Pilot>horrible luck being taken seriously outside of her comic book, with most TV and film adaptations falling to the wayside. Now with a possible Justice League movie coming down the pipe, many are wondering how Wonder Woman could be made relevant for all audiences. One intriguing possibility is to avoid modern depictions altogether, setting her adventures in a historically distinct and recognizable time period. Stuntman and filmmaker Jesse V. Johnson may have hit that nail on the head with a fan trailer pitting Wonder Woman against the greatest villains of the 20th Century: The forever-despised Nazis.

The trailer depicts Nina Bergman as Wonder Woman, a less-than-glamorous Nazi prisoner subjected to interrogations and brutal physical torture. The viewer discovers that Diana has emerged from the otherwise secluded Themyscira on a mission of peace: halting the German war machine before it engulfs the world and threatens her people. The Nazis, naturally, mock her feeble attempts to stop them before locking her away in a cold dark room. Of course, that's the part where she escapes, and I think you can figure out the rest.

Even though most fans were probably sold at "Wonder Woman" and "Nazis", it's worth noting this isn't some filmed-in-a-backyard trailer. This fan project features more than one professional actor, most notably Fargo and Constantine's Peter Stormare as a possible Nazi interrogator. Johnson himself also knows his way around an action scene, having done stunt co-ordination for Avatar, Tintin, Thor, and a great many others.

If those credentials make this project sound like <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/113397-MK-Rebirth-Director-Finally-Gets-to-Direct-Actual-Mortal-Kombat-Movie>the Mortal Kombat trailer that became official, that's exactly what Johnson and company are hoping for. The film is essentially a proof-of-concept that Wonder Woman could stand toe-to-toe with Iron Man and Avengers on the big screen, and after watching this I'm inclined to agree. Obviously, Warner Bros. would have to approve a feature film, so all we may end up with is an impressive-looking trailer. Still, given that <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/106978-Warner-Commands-Mortal-Kombat-Rebirth-Director-to-Finish-Ite>Warner Bros. has a history of such greenlights, the idea may not be far-fetched after all.

Source: Latino Review, via <a href=http://ca.ign.com/articles/2013/02/27/watch-this-wonder-woman-fan-film>IGN

Milanezi

Mar 2, 2009
Please... DON'T. There are a thousand ways, with our current inclination to enjoy 300 and other greek-themed movies that we CAN enjoy a Wonder Woman movie with the rhythm from the New 52: stick her CLOSE to greek mythology, have her involved in ?Greek-God-drama, getting pissed with strife, going face to face with the now-old-looking-but-still-kick-ass Ares, and then either END the movie with that shitty pilot find the island by accident (so the movie would be an "origins" like with Cap America the movie ended with him waking up to modern USA, it would end with her being introduced to the "human" world), OR, like her solo comics, have her dealing with both greek mythology and some weird modern stuff (like Zola and her baby).

BUT DON'T TURN WONDER WOMAN INTO BLOOD RAYNE!!! Not to mention that... NAZIES AGAIN?! I mean, I totally dig them in Captain America, they were essential and expected to be plot, they are part of the story. But with Wonder Woman? Why? Because you can't find someone better? Geez...

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Milanezi said:
Please... DON'T. There are a thousand ways, with our current inclination to enjoy 300 and other greek-themed movies that we CAN enjoy a Wonder Woman movie with the rhythm from the New 52: stick her CLOSE to greek mythology, have her involved in ?Greek-God-drama, getting pissed with strife, going face to face with the now-old-looking-but-still-kick-ass Ares, and then either END the movie with that shitty pilot find the island by accident (so the movie would be an "origins" like with Cap America the movie ended with him waking up to modern USA, it would end with her being introduced to the "human" world), OR, like her solo comics, have her dealing with both greek mythology and some weird modern stuff (like Zola and her baby).

BUT DON'T TURN WONDER WOMAN INTO BLOOD RAYNE!!! Not to mention that... NAZIES AGAIN?! I mean, I totally dig them in Captain America, they were essential and expected to be plot, they are part of the story. But with Wonder Woman? Why? Because you can't find someone better? Geez...
The original Wonder Woman actually fought Nazis (the character was created in 1941) so there is a precedent for it.

s_h_a_d_o

Mr Propellerhead
Jun 15, 2010
Fanghawk said:

An unofficial trailer may have stumbled on an approach to Woman Woman that gets everyone excited (except for Nazis)...

[snip]
All well and good but...

Who the hell is "Woman Woman"?

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Hell, half the time it's questionable as to whether she's taken serious in her own comic. For every quality story about her, there's two or three that are facepalm worthy.

DVS BSTrD said:
So the way to make Wonder Woman appealing...

... is to actually let her BE Wonder Woman?

WHO COULD HAVE PREDICTED THAT!?!
Truly, 'tis dark sorcery.

Basement Cat

Keeping the Peace is Relaxing
Jul 26, 2012
I cringed at the 'costume' she was wearing, and I agree that the WW vs Nazis thing seems forced after Captain America (yes, she fought Nazis--but so did Super Man and Batman but THEY aren't cornered into fighting Nazis to define themselves), and the actress they used did well but doesn't click with me as WW---but I can see how the possibilities for a real Wonder Woman movie exist.

DrunkenElfMage

Aug 17, 2011
Meh, not feeling it. Not that I'm against a Wonder Woman movie, and I'm all for a good Nazi thrashing as much as the next American, but she really isn't that impressive in the trailer. Sure she can do Kung Fu, but no real super strength, no whip, nothing that really distinguishes her from lets say, the Black Widow. And I'm not that comfortable with seeing her tied up at the very beginning of the trailer, it makes it seem like revenge movie. No real personality to talk about either; its bad when the audience becomes more acquainted with a Nazi than the actual protagonist in a trailer.

Such a missed opportunity at 1:13 in the trailer for her to show off her bracelets, too.

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
s_h_a_d_o said:
Fanghawk said:

An unofficial trailer may have stumbled on an approach to Woman Woman that gets everyone excited (except for Nazis)...

[snip]
All well and good but...

Well, this is unexpected. She's a DC comics super hero, perhaps the first female counterpart to Superman (I don't know for sure). Look her up on wikipedia and you should get everything you need.

Sep 14, 2009
eh for a fan made thing that was pretty good, however the costume was cringe worthy on her and i was expecting more "wonder woman" and less "black widow" (wonder woman can smash with the best of them, not to mention her lasso)

still, wouldn't interesting if they took it on, hopefully they do.

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
This is stupid. This makes her look like she's some female version of Captain America. She doesn't use guns. She doesn't need to put forth effort to kill guards. She's almost a female Superman, she could flick her finger and kill several people.

This is no Wonder Woman.

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
Not feeling it.

Look, it's really not that hard, Hollywood. Just make Wonder Woman. Yes, that means colorful, fun, and exciting.

It amazes me that Marvel nailed the "tone" of comic book movies so well. Captain America, Thor, Hulk, Iron Man... they're all almost straight out of the comics, bringing with them a sense of fun and even wackiness that many believed couldn't be done in a movie, because for a long time everyone felt that EVERY movie had to be like Batman (put every hero in black! Make it all gritty and serious! Say that every new reboot is "like Batman Begins!", etc.)

All you need to do is take the character in the comics... and put her on the screen. Adapt where you need to, improve where you need to, but only when it's necessary. After that... enjoy your movie with a great heroine leading the charge. Let her fight Ares or Cheetah or, hell, Giganta. I don't care. We are living in a world where the X-men's joke of "yellow spandex" has become "X-men First Class has yellow spandex and nobody cared".

Just make Wonder Woman, dammit. Don't try and "modernize" her or make her sexuality some big damn issue.

Or, for a better idea, take a Superman script, replace every time it says "Superman" with "Wonder Woman" and "Lois" with "Steve", replace Superman powers with Wonder Woman powers, and then start filming it. Film it, score it, and edit it the same. Bam, you're welcome. Enjoy your money, fellas.

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
sageoftruth said:
s_h_a_d_o said:
Fanghawk said:

[snip]
All well and good but...

Well, this is unexpected. She's a DC comics super hero, perhaps the first female counterpart to Superman (I don't know for sure). Look her up on wikipedia and you should get everything you need.
Read that again. VERY carefully...

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
sageoftruth said:
s_h_a_d_o said:
Fanghawk said:

[snip]
All well and good but...

Re-read what he said. As far as I know "Woman Woman" is not a DC super hero.

He was pointing out a typo XD

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
Fappy said:
sageoftruth said:
s_h_a_d_o said:
Fanghawk said:

[snip]
All well and good but...

Re-read what he said. As far as I know "Woman Woman" is not a DC super hero.

He was pointing out a typo XD
Ah. I thought that was strange. I mean I figured there might still be people young enough to have never heard of her, but this makes much more sense.

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
s_h_a_d_o said:
Fanghawk said:

[snip]
All well and good but...

Gah... thanks for pointing that out. Fixed.

Sidmen

Jul 3, 2012
Interestingly enough, if you search for woman woman in google search, you get wonder woman pics.