Films and Games, what should happen?

Seishisha

By the power of greyskull.
Aug 22, 2011
So its been running through my mind for a while you often get terrible films based on games, somtimes but less often you even get games based on films (excluding tie-ins, they dont realy count) so heres my question if given the choices what film would you like to see a game version of and which game would you like to see a movie of? if at all i'd like to keep this original so try to avoid exsisting films and games that have crossed paths like max payne or resident evil.

I'll go first, for a movie i'd like to see one based in the same universe as mass effect, perhaps it could be related too but have a story seperate from Shepard, like maybe it follows his Dad or somthing?

For a game i'd like to see one based on The virus its an old sci-fi horror movie about a killer computer program from space that gets "trapped" on a ship out at sea, i guess it'd make in interesting survival horror scenario when litteraly anything electronic could come to life and start attacking you.

DannyJBeckett

Jun 29, 2011
Straight off the bat (and probably inspired by the upcoming Aliens: Colonial Marines) I'd like to see a game version of the original Predator.

Set in the Vietnamese jungle, relying on only your wits to survive, you try and defend yourself from the ultimate hunter: man.

Either that or playing as the Governator against the Predator, it'd be cool.

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
For a movie I'd like to see Ratchet and Clank.
Get the game's writers, have the actors reprise their roles, keep it animated, that'd be an example of a game movie done right.

For a game, I'd like to see Inception. The universe perfectly sets itself up for an awesome game, I'm actually surprised there hasn't been one yet.

Shreder55

Jul 1, 2009
I would like to see a TV series set in the Fallout Universe following a group of characters that travel all over North America, with each season being in a new region.

Trivea

Jan 27, 2011
I think Oblivion could be made into a pretty good fantasy movie if they tweak the storyline and play up the different races and classes right. Y'know, a throwback to the old "four heroes" formula or something.

As far as movie into video game? The obvious one would be Stay Alive. Why haven't they done that yet?

OmniscientOstrich

Jan 6, 2011
I honestly think the closest thing we'll ever have to a decent game movie is Scott Pilgrim. I just don't have enough faith in any hollywood team to acquire the dedication, competance and disregard for marketing profitability in favour of artistic merit to actually produce a decent translation.

AroLombardi

Apr 16, 2009
Trivea said:
As far as movie into video game? The obvious one would be Stay Alive. Why haven't they done that yet?
Wait, they didn't?

OT: Well there's always Halo, mainly cause they teased at it earlier then quit. Sort of disappointing. Or Dead Space. Cause the creator of Saw could come in and get his kicks. ORRRR make a Resident Evil 4 Movie. Not with Alice, because I'm done with her, but mofo Leon! :D

And as for game... well actually I can't think of one.

infohippie

Oct 1, 2009
DannyJBeckett said:
Straight off the bat (and probably inspired by the upcoming Aliens: Colonial Marines) I'd like to see a game version of the original Predator.

Set in the Vietnamese jungle, relying on only your wits to survive, you try and defend yourself from the ultimate hunter: man.

Either that or playing as the Governator against the Predator, it'd be cool.
That'd be cool, but I think it would turn out an awful lot like Crysis.

Mar 5, 2011
I would like to see Max Payne made into a good movie. I saw the other one and it was terrible.

As for a movie based game I would love to see Ip Man made it a free roaming Beat-em up.

twistedmic

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 8, 2009
I'd like to see a Starship Troopers game. One that was based off of the book, not the movie. It would be awesome if to be able to run around alien worlds, burning and nuking just about everything in sight, or to watch as your character was dropped in from orbit.

I'd also like to see a game made from 'The Crow' (the original).

May 5, 2010
Movie to Game: Inception. Not necessarily the actual movie, just the same universe. Imagine a co-op mode where each layer of the dream is different game mode (layer 1=GTA-style driving, layer 2= Mass Effect-style dialog and shooting, layer 3=Uncharted or COD style-shoot em up, though obviously there's room for other game modes too) where someone driving the car in layer one can actually effect what happens in the next layers. Like, if you're on layer 2 and in a tight spot, you could tell your buddy to make a hard left and send your enemies flying into the wall. Or more complicated stuff, like jumping out of a building as your friend pulls a 180, sending the building spinning around back in front of you, so you land on a lower floor. AWESOME. Yes, I have thought about this before.

Game to movie:.....That's a tough one. I suppose the Mass Effect films could make good movies. Shame they'd have to ignore the whole "Paragon/Renegade" thing, though as far as how the story is effected by the player's choices they could just go with whatever the "default" story is. That is, whatever choices are made for you if you don't recover ME1 to ME2.

I also think that a Halo movie with a VERY different story structure from the games would work just fine.

WaywardHaymaker

Aug 21, 2009
The very idea of a Mass Effect movie just fills me up with dread. You can't do a movie, a completely non-interactive form of media, about a game based around choices. So, what they should do is make a prequel. Tell the story of the First Contact War between humans and turians. It wouldn't have anything to do with Commander Shepard and it could even be canon with the games!

...But they WON'T DO THAT! I actually just looked it up, because I know the movie is happening. They're just adapting the first game to film. WHY? It's basically just some director/screenwriter's glorified Let's Play of Mass Effect 1 at that point! Come on!

J_Monsterface

Aug 8, 2011
imho, a game based on a movie could never be a truly great game

in the same way, a painting based on a movie could never be a truly great painting

id even go so far as to say the same about movies based on books

i think they can be good

but i think the best art is expressed in a way intrinsic to its medium

i guess thats all bullshit though because i thought astro boy on the gba was one of the most kickass games ever

i dont even know what i think now...