Final Fantasy 14 Endwalker Impressions - Error 2002

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
I wanted to provide an update to my progress through the expansion.

While it is still quite difficult to get any real playtime on the game thanks to the queues logging in, which after nearly two weeks after release are still just as bad as ever, I have managed to get through the Main Story up till level 86 which is about the half way point I would guess.

My long standing issues with the pacing of the FF14 story are still very evident and many times have nearly pulled me out of the story completely. During one section of the game, you are leading up to a MASSIVE MASSIVE Boss teased for a very very long time. You fight the boss in an incredible fight, and this ends up not saving the world as you expected (how could it you are only level 84 and there are 6 more levels to go) but instead you start the Apocalypse and everybody is going to die.

Instead of rushing off to do what you can to start helping and saving people, the game puts you through a several hour quest line about meeting the new beast tribe of the expansion and they basically jerk you around for several hours. In my opinion it ruins the previous climatic moment with the big boss you just fought and I can't help but feel this is strictly to pad the length of the game because it's an MMO so of course.

The dungeons and trials of this expansion are extremely cool though. Every boss fight has just been so much fun to fight and learn which is the stuff that i feel really makes FF14 shine. Just when you think you've seen every possible mechanic they throw something new at you and it's obvious but also so unexpected. It's very good and very fun. I wish I could enjoy the bigger context of the game from the story but I just can't.

All the other reviews I've seen though are totally loving the story, so if story is your thing, Endwalker doesn't disappoint.

Right now i think the biggest concern is that they really need to fix the log in issues. Hopefully hype around the game will taper back to a more normal level and people can play it a bit more freely soon.

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
I'm up to the level 87 main scenario quests. I like FFXIV's story very much and I am enjoying this expansion's story so far, although I don't think it's quite up to par with the last expansion, Shadowbringers.

Also the game is so popular they're going to stop selling it until they can get queues under control.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
I'm up to the level 87 main scenario quests. I like FFXIV's story very much and I am enjoying this expansion's story so far, although I don't think it's quite up to par with the last expansion, Shadowbringers.

Also the game is so popular they're going to stop selling it until they can get queues under control.
I saw that this morning. Plus we are getting 21 days of free time, basically making this launch month free.

And they are going to block free trial players from logging in during peak hours.

It is a crazy player friendly move and they are really trying to make things right to their playerbase.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
I gotta say, the music in this game is sublime.

Like, it has all the final fantasy goodness you'd expect while also being the music that runs through my head when imagining fight scenes. The trailers are basically professional AMVs. Glad they stuck with it.

Also:

Last edited:
Reactions: CriticalGaming

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
Finished the Main Scenario. Great coda to the story that started in A Realm Reborn. Everything's nicely and satisfyingly wrapped up, but the door is still open for many adventures to come, which I shall be happy to partake of. I don't necessarily think this was as good a main questline as Shadowbringers or Heavensward, but it did what it needed to do well; end this particular story in a suitably climactic fashion while making room for some surprises along they way.

Optional dungeons are next for me before I can start on the raids.

Reactions: CriticalGaming