Final Fantasy 7 Remake Demo - It's here! This is not a Drill!!!!! Also Impressions

CritialGaming

Mar 25, 2015
Normally I hate Monday's, the weekend is over and I have to be up at 4am to go to work.

Today.....I woke up and twitter was screaming at me about a very special game. I jumped up at 3:30, started the download, and played it.

This Monday has started off pretty damn good.

After the Demo originally leaked on December 31st, we thought it was going to drop any day. By "we" I mean of course people who give a shit about the Remake. But when the leaks of huge sections of the game started coming out, we also feared that Square would just ignore the demo and decide to not drop it ever. Since then there have been constant rumors about when it could possibly drop.

Gamespot.com ironically had to take down an article about the Remake that stated the Demo would release on March 3rd. Turns out, they were pretty close, even if it was on accident. Especially considering at the time the article was before the release delay of the full game. So we all assumed that the March 3rd date for the demo was them getting the demo and the full game release date mixed up.

Nevermind all that bullshit though, because it's March 2nd and the Demo is OUT.

I played it. It's good as fuck. That's all.

Okay I'm not stopping there, obviously. But I have a problem in that I'm a bit unsure of how to begin this Impressions post. So let me say this up front. I am incredibly Bias towards this game. Honestly it could be a steaming pile of shit and I would still eat every last crumb of this thing. So please take that into consideration when reading this and when you ultimately see the post on the full game I'll be making in April.

So let's start with combat. In the other News thread, people have been concerned about the combat. For me, the combat is great. It looks great, it feels great, and surprisingly enough....It's kind of hard. There is a lot to manage even at the start of the game which is kind of crazy.

Every character has two attack modes which toggle with Triangle and these affect what your basic Square button attacks do. Cloud for example can run around fast and swing is weapon in sweeping slow combos, but pressing Triangle changes Cloud to punisher mode which makes him move slow but drastically speeds up his weapon swings and deals more damage. These modes serve two purposes based on what the enemies are doing.

The basic attacks serve to primarily build up ATB charges, of which each character can store up to two of them. You use ATB charges to do special attacks, use items, or cast magic, and in combat you can't do any of those things if you dont have the meter. If you find your characters at low health with no ATB, you can't heal until someone builds at least 1 charge of meter to use a potion or other healing ability.

Special attacks don't automatically hit either. So don't think you can just spam attack and then spend meter and automatically win. No no, if you activate a special attacklike Braver, and the enemy moves out of the way...you miss. Positioning Matters! Which is why the basic attacks and combos are important because you can use these to build up a stagger meter on the enemy and slow them down so that your skills don't miss.

A lot of the enemies require tactics too. The Scorpion boss we've all seen in the E3 trailer, and various demo footage all over the place, has multiple body parts you can attack. You can beat down it's legs and make it collapse to the ground for a short period of time. It has a shield that protects it from all damage except the core in it's butthole, so you have to position both characters around the back to hit that part. Meanwhile the scorpion jumps around making that a much harder task than it sounds.

Speaking of difficulty, the demo only has Normal difficulty available and it's kind of hard. With so much to look at and manage, your characters can get beaten down into yellow or red health without you even realizing it. And if you get caught in a healing loop, you can find yourself on the back foot of combat situations pretty quickly.

Between managing your basic attacks, your atlernate battle modes (triangle), dodging, blocking, using the ATB meter for skills or magic, and doing this for two or even three characters later. It actually is quite a lot to get a hold of. With practice, and used to menu and shortcut navigation I'm sure it will get easier, but for the first few hours you are going to trip up for sure. I knew about the combat systems based on my study of the trailers, but getting your hands on it for the first time is a totally different experience.

However I will say that combat feels great, Cloud's sword feels heavy and it fucks dudes up, Barretts gun has power and weight behind it's shots, the skills feel impactful and powerful. It's very very responsive, things happen exactly when I want them to happen. So overall the game feels great.

There are a couple of issues with the camera, in that during combos that push the enemies backwards, you can accidentally push into a corner that makes the camera move behind clutter or something, but it's very fast and not super annoying, it is noticable though.

The music is incredible, the voice acting is actually pretty good. i know Voice Over is a sensitive subject for people, and there are some who just hate dubbed stuff, but I feel like the performances here are really great. The demo has a lot of character to it too. There is more chatter with the small characters of AVALANCHE, Biggs, Jesse, and Wedge, where you are given a bigger picture to who they are and what their goals are. It's really great because in the Original game they are very much throw away characters (literally). And even though they are expanded upon here, none of the expansion goes against what you think their characteristics and personalities would be. I really really like that, it's just more characters to love.

The environments look great, the reactor is detailed and there are lots of flushed out scenes that interconnect the reactor very well. They've done a good job filling in the gaps from the original game in ways that make sense and don't feel jarring or even padded. There are chests to find, and boxes to break that refill small bits of HP and MP, and even though the path is linear, there are enough little side spots that have a chest or whatever in them to make it feel like a real place.

Bottom line is....I love it. I fucking love it. I mean beyond my fandom and most of my bias. I love this game, and i think it only gets better from here. More abilities, more magic, more party members, I can't wait for more. And I'll probably play the shit out of the demo for the next few weeks.

CritialGaming

Mar 25, 2015
I?ll probably check it out, but really have no business adding another game to my plate even if it is just a demo. Because this is probably a pretty huge demo as it is.

But it?s the FF?nF7 Remake, so it?s a fairly reasonable concession to make.

CritialGaming

Mar 25, 2015
hanselthecaretaker said:
I?ll probably check it out, but really have no business adding another game to my plate even if it is just a demo. Because this is probably a pretty huge demo as it is.
It's about an hour long.

CritialGaming

Mar 25, 2015
CritialGaming said:
hanselthecaretaker said:
It's about an hour long.
Sweet, I?ll do a few dailies in RDR2 Online while it downloads and hop on over to Midgar for some beautiful nostalgia.

CritialGaming

Mar 25, 2015
hanselthecaretaker said:
CritialGaming said:
hanselthecaretaker said:
It's about an hour long.
Sweet, I?ll do a few dailies in RDR2 Online while it downloads and hop on over to Midgar for some beautiful nostalgia.
Return here and tell me what you think of the game once you get through it.

CritialGaming

Mar 25, 2015
CritialGaming said:
hanselthecaretaker said:
CritialGaming said:
hanselthecaretaker said:
It's about an hour long.
Return here and tell me what you think of the game once you get through it.
Will do! I?m really curious about how this plays. Can?t wait to see what a flood of memories it will bring back from over two decades ago.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Hows the combat compared to FF15? Do you get to play with materia/character customization (in game play term).

I do like that they're expanding on the avalanche crew, always liked them and its a shame they aren't in the game more.

CritialGaming

Mar 25, 2015
Meiam said:
Hows the combat compared to FF15? Do you get to play with materia/character customization (in game play term).

I do like that they're expanding on the avalanche crew, always liked them and its a shame they aren't in the game more.
It is far and away more complicated and involved than 15. You have to actively attack, often switching character to ensure they fill enough ATB for you to use when you need it. You have to watch the enemies to block or dodge attacks, you have to watch ATB gauges, you have to watch your HP, you have to watch positioning because you attacks will miss if you dont aim properly, and much more.

It's kind of overwhelming combat at first.

You can customise materia and equipment and such, but that isn't in the demo. It's just the first mission basically.

Yoshi178

Aug 15, 2014
So basically just the demo that was leaked and already viewed by the entire world literally a month ago.

k...

CritialGaming

Mar 25, 2015
Yoshi178 said:
So basically just the demo that was leaked and already viewed by the entire world literally a month ago.

k...
Do you always have to shit on every thread you join?

Yoshi178

Aug 15, 2014
CritialGaming said:
Yoshi178 said:

k...
i'm sure the gameplay is fine.
still doesn't change the fact that we've already seen this exact demo.

CritialGaming

Mar 25, 2015
Yoshi178 said:
CritialGaming said:
Yoshi178 said:

k...
Seen does not equal playing. It's a much difference experience to get your hands on it.

You have a PS4 right? Go give it a try, it's free and only 45-60 minutes long.

Yoshi178

Aug 15, 2014
CritialGaming said:
Yoshi178 said:
CritialGaming said:
Yoshi178 said:

k...
Seen does not equal playing. It's a much difference experience to get your hands on it.

i already downloaded it last night.

cbf playing it until the weekend when i'm not working. Besides i don't care about FF enough to explode in hype over it.

Dansen

Master Lurker
Mar 24, 2010
Yoshi178 said:
CritialGaming said:
Yoshi178 said:
CritialGaming said:
Yoshi178 said:

k...

cbf playing it until the weekend when i'm not working. Besides i don't care about FF enough to explode in hype over it.
You don't need to be so dismissive...
There is a reason people go out of their way to bait and tease you and it isn't because you like Nintendo.

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
Do you get anything in the main game for beating the demo? Also does it have dual audio?

I tend to skip demos of stuff I'll get 100% anyways because it feels bad to stop after only a little bit and it kinda spoils story stuff imo so I'll prolly skip this and be patient.

CritialGaming

Mar 25, 2015
Dreiko said:
Do you get anything in the main game for beating the demo? Also does it have dual audio?

I tend to skip demos of stuff I'll get 100% anyways because it feels bad to stop after only a little bit and it kinda spoils story stuff imo so I'll prolly skip this and be patient.
You get a theme for your playstation. I do know that the demo has some cut scenes removed. So you will still have things to discover when you play the full game

Dansen

Master Lurker
Mar 24, 2010
Did you get a chance to play with Materia or was that all just locked in?

CritialGaming

Mar 25, 2015
Dansen said:
Did you get a chance to play with Materia or was that all just locked in?
Naw, you don't get to mess with that in this first area. Which you didn't get to change in the OG game either.

Yoshi178

Aug 15, 2014
Dansen said:
Yoshi178 said:
CritialGaming said:
Yoshi178 said:
CritialGaming said:
Yoshi178 said:

k...

There is a reason people go out of their way to bait and tease you and it isn't because you like Nintendo.
enjoy tasting your own medicine i take it?

CritialGaming

Mar 25, 2015
Yoshi178 said:
enjoy tasting your own medicine i take it?[/quote]

Stop it!

You wanna be petty? Take it to one of your Nintendo threads. Stop bringing that stupid shit everywhere you pop up.