Final Fantasy 7 Remake's Upgrade Details

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Natch.

Edit: Also, false. In Disgaea changing weapons changes your skillset. You get a completely different set of special abilities if you are using an axe compared to a sword or spear. And Skyrim has no balance.
Hey! Skyrim had balance. It just had an inner ear problem.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
Natch.

Edit: Also, false. In Disgaea changing weapons changes your skillset. You get a completely different set of special abilities if you are using an axe compared to a sword or spear. And Skyrim has no balance.
You have to have leveled up that skill ahead of time for the character, otherwise you just do the basic beginner move that's not any good. Having leveled up various weapons is Disgaea's take on going into a fight prepared. In fact Disgaea's take on that preparedness comes with a comparatively insane amount of time investment. You can grind a materia to max level way faster than maxing out a weapon's skills for one out of the many chars. Once the materia is maxed anyone can use it as well but that maxed weapon skill is only applicable to that one char who did the maxing out and everyone else has to do the same for their own weapon skill. Disgaea in general is super duper grindy so to make the case it's more forgiving is comical.

And Skyrim was attempting balance with that system, it didn't succeed cause it's really not the tightly balanced sort of game that relies on planning and thoughtfulness and strategy but that was the idea anyhow.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
You have to have leveled up that skill ahead of time for the character, otherwise you just do the basic beginner move that's not any good. Having leveled up various weapons is Disgaea's take on going into a fight prepared. In fact Disgaea's take on that preparedness comes with a comparatively insane amount of time investment. You can grind a materia to max level way faster than maxing out a weapon's skills for one out of the many chars. Once the materia is maxed anyone can use it as well but that maxed weapon skill is only applicable to that one char who did the maxing out and everyone else has to do the same for their own weapon skill. Disgaea in general is super duper grindy so to make the case it's more forgiving is comical.

And Skyrim was attempting balance with that system, it didn't succeed cause it's really not the tightly balanced sort of game that relies on planning and thoughtfulness and strategy but that was the idea anyhow.
Sure, ok. I'm learning a lot from this thread! You don't ever need to be wrong if you are prepared to keep shifting the goalposts. Valuable information.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Sure, ok. I'm learning a lot from this thread! You don't ever need to be wrong if you are prepared to keep shifting the goalposts. Valuable information.
That's the wrong lesson to learn from this thread.

The real lesson to learn is that FF7 is not unique in preventing massive loadout changes mid-combat. The real is because this would break nearly every video game and prevent the player from having to use tactics and strategy.

There is no goalpost here, it's just a blind argument to have for the sake of having an argument.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017

Final trailer revealed showcasing how buttery smooth the game looks with the FPS upgrade, and a buttload of new shit from the DLC! Holy crap i'm excited because it's going to feel like a whole new experience again!.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010

Final trailer revealed showcasing how buttery smooth the game looks with the FPS upgrade, and a buttload of new shit from the DLC! Holy crap i'm excited because it's going to feel like a whole new experience again!.
Is this sort of like what they’ve done in the past with FFX-X2, or are they pretty much remaking a remake at this point?

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Is this sort of like what they’ve done in the past with FFX-X2, or are they pretty much remaking a remake at this point?
I don't think it's that extreme, but basically from what I've understood this Ps5 version is fixing the technical problems that the game had on Ps4.

One of the big complaints with the Ps4 release was that there were a lot of textures that the game just refused to load. Thing's like doors, flowers, ground and wall textures, all only loaded their base polygon frames which I think was simply due to the limits on the Ps4 and how it interacted with Unreal 4.

The Ps5 is basically fixing that issue, improving some of the lighting, raising the FPS to 60 instead of a locked 30 (which to the PS4's credit the system did hold a steady 30 almost 100% of the time even on a base model).

So in a way this upgrade is going to be the true experience because everything should work the way the developers wanted it to work originally.

Then there is the Yuffie DLC, which is a full two chapter story with Yuffie that takes place between when Cloud fell into Aerith's church and when the sector 7 plate falls. Additionally they are adding more fights to the optional VR battle arena including what appears to be a new super boss.

The upgrade is free if you already have a digital or disc version of the game and the DLC will cost $20.

Or you get the DLC include for the full $70 if you buy the game new.

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
I'm kinda not looking too deeply into this stuff cause I want it to surprise me but yeah basically the plan is to do a replay of the game on hard and then jump on the Yuffie parts. Still no idea when I'll find an actual ps5 though, and GG Strive is coming out around the same date too. Busy summer lol.

Reactions: CriticalGaming