Final Fantasy Agito XIII Becomes Final Fantasy Type-0

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Final Fantasy Agito XIII Becomes Final Fantasy Type-0

Square Enix doesn't have a new spin-off in the works called Type-0, it just came up with a new name for Agito.

At Square Enix's 1st Production Department Premiere, the mystery surrounding the company's trademark registrations [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/106514-Square-Enix-Bleeds-Trademark-for-Final-Fantasy-Type-0] for Final Fantasy "Types" was solved. As it turns out, Square Enix only wanted to rename the PSP's upcoming Final Fantasy Agito XIII.

Agito XIII is now called Final Fantasy Type-0 because Square Enix feels it's an entirely new Final Fantasy game, and doesn't have much to do with trademarked logos [http://www.amazon.com/Final-Fantasy-XIII-Playstation-3/dp/B000FQ2DTA/ref=sr_1_2?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1295359676&sr=1-2] for Type-1, Type-2, and Type-3 too.

There are apparently more than 30 speaking characters in the game, requiring quite a bit of voice recording. Because of aspects such as this, Final Fantasy Type-0 will be too big for one UMD and will ship on two instead. Type-0 will be a single player game with multiplayer features, creating something Square hopes is unique.

Type-0 will see a Japanese release in summer 2011.

Source: Andriasang [http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2011/01/18/square_enix_premier_live_blog/]

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
"Fabula Nova Crystallis" is still an absurd name for a series of games.

LeonLethality

Mar 10, 2009
NickCaligo42 said:
Wasn't this supposed to be a mobile game? When did I miss that transition?
A long time ago they decided to move it to PSP. I am pleased with that change.

On topic, I kind of like this title more. and I am glad this will be such a big game. Really looking forward to it.

May 25, 2010
2 UMD's? Wow, that's a new one. Regardless, this looks interesting enough for a PSP game. I might pick it up, you know in about a year or two, when they remember Europe exists and decide to release it here.

icyneesan

Feb 28, 2010
2 UMDs? Well, Mission Accomplished Squareenix, you've now got yourselfs a unique PSP game. Lets just hope the game part is fun.

Enagan

Nov 2, 2009
I'm positively hopeful for this game.
The PSP FF games have been very good, both Crisis Core and Dissida were incredible. So i'm quite confident it'll be a good game.

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
Hehe, I only just read about this on Wikipedia. After FFXIII, I've decided to wait until I see what FF games are like before I do anything rash. Like paying money for them.

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
Andronicus said:
Hehe, I only just read about this on Wikipedia. After FFXIII, I've decided to wait until I see what FF games are like before I do anything rash. Like paying money for them.
Okay, so I guess I learned a bit before you did then. I stopped at FFX. I did pick up FFXI for a bit, but I was missing interaction with people I understood, so I gave it up and stopped playing MMOs, and Final Fantasy games.

Gizmo007666

Nov 12, 2009
No here is the interesting part, being shipped on 2 umd's do they sell it as 1 game for the price of 1, 1 game at a price higher than the norm or as 2 separate games (ala golden sun for gba)...

Josdeb

May 22, 2008
Single player game with Multiplayer features?

So, like Kingdom hearts: Birth By Sleep where there is a multiplayer arena?
Or like Demon Sould where you can partially interact with others via the internet or something?

Ignatz_Zwakh

Sep 3, 2010
Aha...very sly Square...drawing distance between this and FF13. Does this mean Versus is going to be Type 1 now? :p

Trogdor1138

May 28, 2010
Why is it seemingly a big deal that it's on 2 UMD's? Am I missing something?

A lot of games back on the PS1 had multiple discs and you'll find quite a few 360 games with multiple discs. Just wondering...

Mysnomer

Nov 11, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
2 UMDs?

Fucking hell. Are they going to make some mutant game case?
You know there's enough space on the inner- right side of the case to put one disc at the top, and a second at the bottom, right?

Erja_Perttu

May 6, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
2 UMDs?

Fucking hell. Are they going to make some mutant game case?
Surprisingly it does fit, on on the same side of the box and all. Le Gasp.

Bored of waiting for this game. If they can't get a better release schedule than 'I dunno, a couple of years?' then hell, I'd say Valve is doing better.

-Seraph-

May 19, 2008
2 UMDs!? holy shit that's a big game. I know Square is mighty good at data compression so the fact that this game is on 2UMDs means it's fucking HUGE. I look forward to playing it and hope an english release isn't too far behind, maybe spring 2012 at the very latest.

And since it's been stripped of the Agito moniker for Type-0 instead, I am going to assume those trademarks for Type-1,2,3 have some relevence to this. Perhaps some sort of series of it's own taking place withing Agitos world or something?

Still, trailer looked awesome with the concept of multiplayer (co-op anyone?), 14 playable characters, and a more action oriented combat style.

Can't wait.

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
Crisis Core was released on one UMD and it was an excellent game.
Dissidia was release on one UMD and it too, was an excellent game.

So would I be safe to assume that Type-0 would be doubly awesome? I hope so, because after XIII and XIV, I'd really hate to see Square go out with a whimper.

Having said that, I'm glad they have stopped throwing in the Kingdom Hearts design style in non-Kingdom Hearts games. I couldn't get over that with Crisis Core and Dirge of Cerberus (and it slowly bled just a little bit into Dissidia). They weren't bad games, don't get me wrong, it's just the entire time I'm playing them I kept thinking to myself "This looks just like Kingdom Hearts...".

-Seraph-

May 19, 2008
Scrythe said:
Crisis Core was released on one UMD and it was an excellent game.
Dissidia was release on one UMD and it too, was an excellent game.

So would I be safe to assume that Type-0 would be doubly awesome? I hope so, because after XIII and XIV, I'd really hate to see Square go out with a whimper.

Having said that, I'm glad they have stopped throwing in the Kingdom Hearts design style in non-Kingdom Hearts games. I couldn't get over that with Crisis Core and Dirge of Cerberus (and it slowly bled just a little bit into Dissidia). They weren't bad games, don't get me wrong, it's just the entire time I'm playing them I kept thinking to myself "This looks just like Kingdom Hearts...".
I think it is safe to say yes, this will be a good game. The design team working on this were the same people who did Crisis Core and maybe evern some team members from Dissidia. The FF13 team has nothing to do with this so the speculation on the games quality is in the safe zone.

I quite liked the Kingdom Hearts style visuals but it is nice to see them perusing other creative designs. Although the Kingdom Hearts feel worked Brilliantly for Dissdia, I really couldn't picture that game in any other style, it just worked so damn well.