Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles Remastered Announced for PS4 & Nintendo Switch

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
I can finally fight the Lich and access the final level without using that goddamn Gameboy link cable to the Gamecube?!

Also this is making me nostalgic for more "FANTASY" Final Fantasy games.

Goddman the sci fi take of the series as of late.

Bobular

Oct 7, 2009
Never played the original, so may be worth having a look depending on reviews and what not.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Bobular said:
Never played the original, so may be worth having a look depending on reviews and what not.
Take it from me, this game is meant to be played with friends because if you play solo it will be the most boring, and repetitive combat ever.

But what kept me hooked is the overall athmosphere and charm of the game. Music certainly helped and its the most downplayed, sombre and serene of Final Fantasy music.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Addendum_Forthcoming said:
Crystal Chronicles was a good game. If it's coming to the Switch store for less than 20 I might pick it up.
This and the Ivalice games are the only good spinoff games to come out of Final Fantasy.

Jan 27, 2011
My face when this got announced was basically:

Seriously, I adored this game when it came out, even just with the single player. Then we FINALLY got the stupid link cables and multiple game boys and I beat most of the game in co-op with my best friend and it was GLORIOUS. I started it with my brother years ago and it was great all over again (even though we never got too far)

If this version allows for couch co-op on one system somehow, I will jump for joy. I will straight up start over with my brother and we'll make a regular thing out of it.

Honestly, I love how the game doesn't feed you the story and lore, you have to track it down yourself and piece things together from your interactions with the NPCs until you finally understand the state of the world. That and combining spells with your friends is a blast even/especially when you get it wrong at a critical time. XD

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
aegix drakan said:
My face when this got announced was basically:

Seriously, I adored this game when it came out, even just with the single player. Then we FINALLY got the stupid link cables and multiple game boys and I beat most of the game in co-op with my best friend and it was GLORIOUS. I started it with my brother years ago and it was great all over again (even though we never got too far)

If this version allows for couch co-op on one system somehow, I will jump for joy. I will straight up start over with my brother and we'll make a regular thing out of it.

Honestly, I love how the game doesn't feed you the story and lore, you have to track it down yourself and piece things together from your interactions with the NPCs until you finally understand the state of the world. That and combining spells with your friends is a blast even/especially when you get it wrong at a critical time. XD
I remember the Black Knight's story...

whmchrish

Jul 12, 2014
I'm kinda excited, I guess?

I had the original on GameCube, but it was a lil... "bleh" to play single-player. Gathering 3 friends who all had a GBA and the link-cable was pretty hard, but when I did the game was pretty cool - even if I don't think I ever finished it.

Not a day-one purchase for me, but I'll probably be tempted to give it another go at some point.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
I must be having a brain fart because I don?t remember the original game. Like. At all. I don?t remember it existing...was it any good?

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
erttheking said:
I must be having a brain fart because I don?t remember the original game. Like. At all. I don?t remember it existing...was it any good?
It factors in town management and crafting, as well as being essentially a dungeon crawler/beat em up especially with Co-op.

Storywise the best parts of the game are the side quests you go on then the main story which is very.....weird for Final Fantasy lets just say.

Yoshi178

Aug 15, 2014
erttheking said:
It was a Gamecube exclusive and one of the few games that made use of the GBA link cable feature for the Gamecube.

i haven't played it but apparently it's an amazing co-op game with friends but it's pretty boring played solo.

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
That was a very basic script and a rather lousy voiceover for the trailer, yikes. Never got a chance to try this though, so it seems interesting. I tried the Crystal Chronicles games on DS though, is this anything like those?

Addendum_Forthcoming

Queen of the Edit
Feb 4, 2009
Samtemdo8 said:
This and the Ivalice games are the only good spinoff games to come out of Final Fantasy.
I really, really liked Tactics Advance ... until it got annoyingly too easy. But I liked the idea that you're basically a roaming gang of thugs competing against other roaming gangs in effectively an organized gladiatorial contest as a way of society to get rid of ganger street violence.

Ivalice has much to teach us.

I'm going to be honest, Tactics games and Crystal Chronicles is the only Final Fantasy games I legitimately liked <.< ...

Jan 27, 2011
Elvis Starburst said:
That was a very basic script and a rather lousy voiceover for the trailer, yikes. Never got a chance to try this though, so it seems interesting. I tried the Crystal Chronicles games on DS though, is this anything like those?
It's very much like those, only a bit tighter on the design, and designed to be replayed a whole lot.

First, no jumping.

Second, no limited spell casting. You have to find the spell orbs/Magicite in each level, but once you find a spell orb, you're set for the whole level.

Third, the air all around you is poison, so you have to carry around a crystal chalice that creates a big circle of protection (in singleplayer a mog carries it for you, in multiplayer, the players have to carry it around).

Finally, the game is set up so that you have to raid 3 dungeons for "Myrr"/Crystal Fuel, and then a year passes. Each dungeon takes 3 years to regen the Myrr, so you have to keep expanding your available dungeons to make quota (although you can raid a dungeon for loot even if it doesn't have any Myrr). And every time you take Myrr from a dungeon, the dungeon gets harder on the next regeneration, and the loot gets better (up until 3 cycles, at which point it resets).

So...It's a bit more freeform and flexible than the DS games, and you will be revisiting old dungeons with new tweaks pretty frequently as you expand how many dungeons you can visit and try to solve the lore of the game so you can figure out how to actually beat the game.

The fact you have to unearth the lore yourself is something I absolutely love.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Not a bad game, although a little different from the main series (back then). I had fun playing with my friend in multiplayer.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, I'm curious about what they'll do about the radar system. In the original, it was a screen visible only in a connected GBA. It contained either a map, enemies locations, items locations or enemy stats. In multiplayer (which required a GBA for each person), every player had a different type of radar on their GBA. I wonder if they drop it out completely or just go conventional.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Yeah I can't get excited abut that, played it a bit on the GC and it was just uninteresting single player and forced the GBA things down your throat for no reason (and I have no doubt it'll do something like that again, considering I was just playing bravely second which also force a bunch of social/payed DLC crap in the game showing square hasn't learned there lesson).