Final Fantasy IV PSP Collection Beautifully Polishes Classic Visuals

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Final Fantasy IV PSP Collection Beautifully Polishes Classic Visuals

Square's Final Fantasy IV PSP collection has been unveiled with new screens and a trailer, and it's beautiful.

I was fairly excited by Square Enix's Final Fantasy IV [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/106096-Ultimate-Final-Fantasy-IV-Collection-Announced-for-PSP] and Final Fantasy IV: The After Years on PSP, and recent screens have only made the time until its release move slower. Unlike the title's DS remake, Final Fantasy IV: Complete Collection will go back to the 2D of the original and shine it up to a gorgeous degree.

It was great to see the game in 3D on the DS, but the DS's capabilities made everything a little too blocky for my tastes. Complete Collection makes Final Fantasy IV's character sprites look somewhat cartoony, but it takes the 2D boss sprites to another level. For example, compare the images of the GBA version of Final Fantasy IV (the most recent 2D visual upgrade) with the upcoming PSP version below.

Big difference eh? In addition to having its visuals remastered for the PSP's screen, Final Fantasy IV: Complete Collection will also add CGI scenes like those seen in Final Fantasy IV DS, a gallery mode, and a new scenario that bridges Final Fantasy IV and The After Years being supervised by Takashi Tokita, a designer on Final Fantasy IV and the producer on The After Years.

Maybe I'm looking at these new screens through rose-tinted glasses, but they make it seem worthwhile to play the nearly 20-year-old Final Fantasy IV one more time. Which in turn makes me believe that if Square Enix ever remade Final Fantasy IV through Final Fantasy IX on current generation systems, it'd be the most incredible thing ever. And I don't mean with LittleBigPlanet 2 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/106263-Final-Fantasy-VII-Remade-On-PlayStation-3-In-LittleBigPlanet-2].

Final Fantasy IV: Complete Collection has only been announced for Japan. It'll be out in spring 2011.

Source: Andriasang [http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2010/12/20/ffiv_site/]

-Seraph-

May 19, 2008
I hope it doesn't take too long to get over to North America, I sure do lie me some FF4. I didn't like the DS' visuals as well, and it's always nice to see some nicely polished sprite based visuals. This remake of 4 is more than enough for me to purchase the game, even if the After Years may turn out to suck.

I wonder if it will have the original games difficulty (like in the DS version) or if it'll be one of the easier versions.

Lukeje

Feb 6, 2008
-Seraph- said:
I wonder if it will have the original games difficulty (like in the DS version) or if it'll be one of the easier versions.
The DS version didn't have the original game's difficulty; they made it harder.

...and I'm still waiting for a DS version of FF VI. The GBA version is damn near impossible to find nowadays.

Twuk

Dec 18, 2010
I've been waiting for something like this for a long time. It's good to see Square Enix going back to it's roots a bit.

-Seraph-

May 19, 2008
Lukeje said:
-Seraph- said:

...and I'm still waiting for a DS version of FF VI. The GBA version is damn near impossible to find nowadays.
No...it had the original difficulty that the game was intended to have. The north American versions of some of FF4 and 6 were actually made easier for us and did not retain the original difficulty of their Japanese counter parts.

Quite frankly, FF4 was rather easy, and I'd like to play it on it's original intended difficulty because I enjoy a good challenge.

megs1120

Wing Commander
Jul 27, 2009
McBurks said:
This really needs to come to the US, possibly my favorite FF game ever.
Agreed! I'd love to play the sequel, but have no intention of getting a Wii.

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
OK I'll admit straight up I'm a complete sucker for FF4. It was the first RPG I really played to obsession. While I did play earlier ones (Dragon Warriors (as they were called in the day) and FF1) I was really to young to have the patience for them I guess.

This updated but still 2D look has me salivating, even though this will be the 5th time I've bought the game (SNES, PSone, GBA, DS).

Though I guess I shouldn't feel to bad as it does come with the after years which I never played.

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
-Seraph- said:
Quite frankly, FF4 was rather easy, and I'd like to play it on it's original intended difficulty because I enjoy a good challenge.
The PSone re-release had the original JP difficulty. What it basically amounts to is everything moves twice as fast. Which makes bosses with time based attacks you have to react to after the warning and before they happen (Odin, Leviathan, Opogo) particularly difficult.

Xanthious

Dec 25, 2008
I've said it time and again Final Fantasy IV (or FF II as I knew it back in the day) was the first real RPG that I could get into. It was A LOT more accessible than the NES RPGs that came bfore it. God I don't want to think how many hours I spent trying to get the pink tail. Beyond that though it's a great story and short of possibly FF VI it was one of the best games the SNES had to offer. This PSP needs to come stateside.

DJDarque

Words
Aug 24, 2009
Yes, yes and YES! Final Fantasy IV has always been my favorite. Please don't take too long to get to the U.S. Final Fantasy VI next, please.

Lukeje

Feb 6, 2008
-Seraph- said:
Lukeje said:
-Seraph- said:

No...it had the original difficulty that the game was intended to have. The north American versions of some of FF4 and 6 were actually made easier for us and did not retain the original difficulty of their Japanese counter parts.

From the (a?) Final Fantasy wiki [http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Final_Fantasy_IV]:
Some changes and additions to the Nintendo DS release include the introduction of a new ability system called Augments, increased difficulty level with new enemy attack scripts and increased enemy stats, changes to the equipment system, the summon Whyt which makes use of the DS touch screen, and the aforementioned New Game Plus.
[sub]Emphasis my own.[/sub]

Heart of Darkness

The final days of His Trolliness
Jul 1, 2009
Holy crap that Golbez sprite. If I had a PSP, I would so be getting this.

And Tom? It's always worth it to play Final Fantasy IV again.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
John Funk said:
isn't this like the tenth time they've remade FF4? Why not do FF6?
why not 5 for that matter, or i donno >.> Seiken Densetsu 3 that game was BAD ASS and they've never touched it, Secret of Mana gets like no love at all T-T

ultimasupersaiyan

Dec 9, 2008
I've yet to say no to the main line of Final Fantasy games other then XIV and I really like FFIV. I bet it will be out in by mid next year if not by Q3. I'm gonna buy it on release like I do every Final Fantasy.

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
I may get it, but I think I would be more impressed if they were animated sprites. It's not like there's much else they have to work on. As is, I may actually prefer the DS version.