Final Fantasy V - No Job Shortage Here

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Final Fantasy V - No Job Shortage Here

Final Fantasy V's story isn't anything to write home about, but its gameplay and Job System remind us why Square excelled at JRPGs.

Read Full Article

Soulrender95

May 13, 2011
I was really looking forward to this but eh gads the updated sprites look... wrong, there is something off about them that makes me think RPG Maker which is a real shame especially when I look back at the PSP of Final Fantasy 1, 2 and Final Fantasy 4 and they look great.

I get that there would be a lot of sprites to redraw, but I'd rather they'd just straight ported the original Snes game to pc if they weren't going to put the effort into redrawing everything.

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
President Bagel said:
Every other review I've read about this release thus far describes it as a broken, glitchy, unfinished mess of a game. Which is a shame, because I consider Final Fantasy 5 to be superior to all of its predecessors in the series. Yes, the story and characters were paper thin, and the soundtrack was disappointing, but it more than made up for that with its incredibly deep and customizable implementation of the job system. It also had one two of the greatest optional bosses to ever grace a Final Fantasy game.

Don't care for the new graphics in this at all, and I see no reason why they couldn't have included the option to play with the original graphics. It's great that there's new bosses and job classes in this version, but the jarring visual designs and countless complaints about bugs make me want to avoid this version.
Never experienced any glitches or bugs outside of Steam not wanting to run it in Big Picture mode at one point. And I wasn't looking too closely into other reviews so I can't speak to other concerns.

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
Soulrender95 said:
I was really looking forward to this but eh gads the updated sprites look... wrong, there is something off about them that makes me think RPG Maker which is a real shame especially when I look back at the PSP of Final Fantasy 1, 2 and Final Fantasy 4 and they look great.

I get that there would be a lot of sprites to redraw, but I'd rather they'd just straight ported the original Snes game to pc if they weren't going to put the effort into redrawing everything.
Now just imagine what we might have had if they had gotten the same guy to update FFV that did the PSP version of FFIV:

LordLundar

Apr 6, 2004
Scars Unseen said:
Now just imagine what we might have had if they had gotten the same guy to update FFV that did the PSP version of FFIV
It actually looks like they had started (the monster sprites and settings are on par) but then gave up when it got to character sprites. It seems like FF5 was getting the PSP treatment that 1,2, and 4 were getting then someone said they were shifting to mobile and the quality could be reduced.

It would explain why the 5 port looks half PSP, half mobile and FF6 is just a mess.

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
LordLundar said:
Scars Unseen said:
Now just imagine what we might have had if they had gotten the same guy to update FFV that did the PSP version of FFIV
It actually looks like they had started (the monster sprites and settings are on par) but then gave up when it got to character sprites. It seems like FF5 was getting the PSP treatment that 1,2, and 4 were getting then someone said they were shifting to mobile and the quality could be reduced.

It would explain why the 5 port looks half PSP, half mobile and FF6 is just a mess.
The monster sprites I'll give you, but the locations are pretty bad. Here [http://www.fortressofdoors.com/doing-an-hd-remake-the-right-way/] is an article that shows off some of FFV's problems as well as what could have been done to fix them.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Soulrender95 said:

Care to elaborate how the sprites look like something from RPG Maker? Heck I am surprised RPG Maker is even still a relevent thing :p

Soulrender95

May 13, 2011
Samtemdo8 said:
Care to elaborate how the sprites look like something from RPG Maker? Heck I am surprised RPG Maker is even still a relevent thing :p
Why would RPG maker not be still relevant? it's sold on steam after all.
But the sprites I'm referring to are the character sprites it's the way they seem brighter, slightly shiny and oddly proportioned while lacking shadow so they don't look like they are standing on the background so much as floating on top of the background layer, and it just reminds me of the time I spent with RPG maker back in the day. it just looks wrong.

SmallHatLogan

Jan 23, 2014
This is actually one of my favourite Final Fantasy games along with VI and X. I have to say I'm really not a fan of the graphical style of this PC release. I always wanted higher definition versions of V and VI like I, II and IV got but not like this, not like this.

I did just buy the GBA version of FFV though, and it was cheaper than buying it on Steam so I'm content with that. I do have the PS1 version but it's saddled with load times and a crappier translation (Faris's pirate speak. Ugh).

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
I was hoping for something just like the Final Fantasy 4 release on the DS, THAT was an excellent remake, not only for the graphics but for a number of well done gameplay alterations, improvements, and additions that almost made it feel like a new game, just like remakes should.

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
JRPG with a great job system but "eh" story? So it's like Bravely Default then?

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Soulrender95 said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Why would RPG maker not be still relevant? it's sold on steam after all.
But the sprites I'm referring to are the character sprites it's the way they seem brighter, slightly shiny and oddly proportioned while lacking shadow so they don't look like they are standing on the background so much as floating on top of the background layer, and it just reminds me of the time I spent with RPG maker back in the day. it just looks wrong.
I would not know because I never used RPG Maker and thought it was just some minor fad back in the early 2000s or something.

Anyway comparing sprites the old one for say Bartz kinda looks like a munchkin:

http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/finalfantasy/images/f/f7/Bartz_Overworld_Sprite.png/revision/latest?cb=20140820191827

But I think the reason you dislike the new sprites is because of the characters arms are so...stiff?

http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/finalfantasy/images/8/8f/FFV_iOS_Bartz_Overworld_Sprite.png/revision/latest?cb=20140128234343

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
immortalfrieza said:
I was hoping for something just like the Final Fantasy 4 release on the DS, THAT was an excellent remake, not only for the graphics but for a number of well done gameplay alterations, improvements, and additions that almost made it feel like a new game, just like remakes should.
Bah I still prefer it 2D. They should have released the PSP version on Steam which has even more content and continues the story from FF4 with Interlude and After Years.

And the 2D sprites does not look like bits and squares cobbled together.

Guilen-

Mar 14, 2009
I must be the only one that thinks the game is great in its current state. Yeah, it could be a little better, the artifacts are obvious when you see them, but they're really not that common and are hardly game-breaking. The sprites, although strange looking in screenshots, are really not that bad once you get into the game, in fact I really like them. I even love the character portraits, it dimensionalizes the characters significantly (especially Exdeath, my god), and it doesn't bother me that they don't really line up with the sprites. *shrug* I dunno, I just don't care, in the same way that I didn't care that these kinds of games weren't Academy-Award calibur scripts when I played them in their era - I can put the pieces together myself, and perfection isn't what I'm here for, in fact a bit of modesty (short of incompetence) kind of helps the charm, like it always did. I've been waiting for something like this to come along so I could feel inspired to finally finish the game, and it has given me exactly what I was hoping for, with a few minor glitches. Honestly, besides the obvious meteor tiles, I don't see what people are complaining about.

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Definitely agree that the story is one of the more "meh" in the franchise. That said, it does contain one of my favorite character deaths: