Final Fantasy VI Fan Film Aims to Bring Classic RPG to Life

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Final Fantasy VI Fan Film Aims to Bring Classic RPG to Life

The Final Fantasy: Terra project hopes to Kickstart a Final Fantasy VI movie with Square Enix's permission.

While the popular face of the Final Fantasy franchise tends to be grounded in Final Fantasy VII, there are other entries in the franchise that people love just as much and might even say are better. I, for instance, am a member of that sect of gamers that absolutely adores Final Fantasy VI. It's a title I never tire of and, were I given a fifty hour slot of unadultered free time, I'd gladly drop everything and play it again right now.

Far from being alone in my love of this game, there are lot of gamers who appreciate Final Fantasy VI. Some, in fact, enjoy it so much they want to make a movie out of it. To that end, Final Fantasy: Terra, a full-fledged cinematic feature based on the beloved RPG.

Pohl's odds of acquiring the publisher's official approval may be somewhat dubious. Just recently for instance, the <a href=http://www.gamespot.com/news/square-enix-shuts-down-final-fantasy-vii-web-series-6412449>company shutdown another Kickstarter fan project aimed at producing a web-series based on Final Fantasy VII. In Pohl's opinion, that group's mistake was launching its fundraising campaign without receiving prior approval from the company. Even taking a more diplomatic route however, Pohl has no illusions about his chances.

"Getting their blessing is a Hail Mary, I know," said Pohl. "But I'm too ambitious not to try." If he isn't able to obtain the rights he needs to make the film, the future of Final Fantasy: Terra could be uncertain. "We could continue to go it alone and invest in it ourselves, like we did the trailer. But we finished that yesterday and I'm still decompressing from that experience," he said. "If all that ever happens is this trailer, then I'm happy. This was an absolute hoot to make. From the amazing costume designer, to the professional actors, I had the time of my life."

Source: <a href=http://kotaku.com/another-lovely-final-fantasy-fan-film-that-will-probabl-1257145506>Kotaku

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
I expected awful. For a second I thought I was getting below average. But then it was awful again.

Seriously, the amount of greenscreen and all the costumes look fucking dumb. Plus, making a... however hours long RPG into a movie just seems silly.

rbstewart7263

Nov 2, 2010
hazabaza1 said:
I expected awful. For a second I thought I was getting below average. But then it was awful again.

Seriously, the amount of greenscreen and all the costumes look fucking dumb. Plus, making a... however hours long RPG into a movie just seems silly.
This! I mean my god at least get the look of the magitek armor HALF RIGHT!a

Terratina.

RIP Escapist RP Board
May 24, 2012
Definitely not impressed. Link's Shadow [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8yqwvYo5PA] quality this is not. The special effects look a bit silly as well.

Sep 14, 2009
while it wasn't that good, holy fuck are you guys judgemental, damn...and I thought video games sometimes got it bad.

OT: I wouldn't mind a ff6 movie, but it probably shouldn't be fan made.

sirjeffofshort

Oct 2, 2012
Glad to see I'm not the only one who thought this was just reaching towards "okay". I guess it's a problem you see a LOT with independent web series and whatnot coming from new creators. The advent of digital technology makes anything possible but it's always just hard to cover up inexperience.

I would think that the end product would have to show a LOT more promise before SQEnix gave them an okay. As it stands now it just seems like the short has the costumes and settings of FFVI, but lacking actors and a focus on digital effects over basic film comprehension keeps it from truly inheriting the soul and feel of the game.

My complaints out of the way though, it's definitely an ambitious project and I applaud the creative team for even attempting it. I just think that their talents would be better spent on something else.

Drauger

Dec 22, 2011
I was surprised for a seccond while reading FF VI and not VII.... then watched the thing and, it's just awful good lord I hope squenix shots this down as fast as possible, starting from the damn title, FF VI isn't about a protagonist so why name it Terra?, then the cast it's just a bunch of bad cosplayers, the crappy special effects eww.......

FF VI is such a long game and this people want to make it into a crappy movie? seriously?

I'm hoping to see an hd release of FF VI like IV and V got on IOS and Android now that would be better ,or at least an 3d version like FF IV probably the only way I Would but a 3ds, FF VI brings back to many good memories to be butchered this way, I wish I could unsee the trailer.

Captcha : haste makes waste. As always you seem so right captcha

Dr.Awkward

Mar 27, 2013
Uh, where's all the colors and concepts that FF6 had in that trailer?

There was just no color in the costumes compared to the original sources - It felt like they had already reached World of Ruin status.

Gearhead mk2

Aug 1, 2011
I like the idea of this, but it'd work much better as a CGI or animated thing than a live action one. The characters and sets would be much easier to create, the effects would resemble their in-game counterparts, and they could use Terra's and Kefka's Dissida voice actors. And squeezing all of FFVI into one movie would be pretty damn hard. I think it'd be better off as a series.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Eh...didn't exactly leave the best first impression. I hope it works but...eh. Still, credit where credit is due, Edgar's crossbow looks BADASS!

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
StewShearer said:
To that end, Final Fantasy: Terra, a full-fledged cinematic feature based on the beloved RPG.
Am I the only one who watched the trailer, then read the article and thought that Bad Pixel was a very appropriate name for this company if this trailer is at all indicative of the work they do?

Altorin

Jack of No Trades
May 16, 2008
I'm currently delving pretty deep into Final Fantasy VI, in such a way that I've already written about 5000 words worth of prose attempting to take the world from the game and bring it more fully to life, so I sort of have to applaud them.

At the same time, the fact that I'm not part of this project in any way kind of makes me sad

It also doesn't look that great.. but I'd love to pick their brains for my own fanwork

It's slow going, and a lot of things just don't make sense when you extrapolate them into a more realistic setting.. The whole political structure, and the sheer tininess of the world that Final Fantasy VI has just... don't quite fit in at all with our view of reality.

It's like.. looking into a pool, and seeing a beautiful jelly fish.. But most people just scoff at it, and don't understand the nuances that can make it amazing.. So you reach in to pull the jelly fish out, and it just turns into a pile of snot in your hand.

This movie kind of looks like snot.

I applaud their efforts though, and if it goes any further then a trailer, I'll definitely keep an eye on it.

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
As a fanfilm, it's not really that bad; as something that they expect to get funding for though, it's really not that great. Besides, how can you possibly condense Final Fantasy 6 into an hour and a half experience? Heck, even as a longer movie it would have to really rush through the story.

That said, though, I always thought that Final Fantasy 6 would make for a great anime series if it was done right.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
Even Square Enix can't make a good FF movie, so I don't see much point in this. Maybe if they made it with 2d animation or something. Honestly, the plot wasn't that good, and neither was the writing. I found the lead characters somewhat dry, and the villain was awful. He was basically a Saturday morning cartoon villain, except with less depth. Why would he want to destroy the world? What profit is there in that? "lol I'm crazy" isn't much of a motivation. Even Elmer Fud has more characterization than that. Best of the FF's it was not. People hate on Sephiroth, but atleast he was working for personal profit and had some tragedy to his story.

Maybe FF4 or Chrono Trigger, that would be interesting. I would love to see more of Chrono.

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
One thing they did right - they picked the FF game with the best plot. Can't say anything good about other things.
Still, it's fan made, so I guess I shouldn't expect much. I'll probably watch it if it's released. I can smell a C&D coming towards them.

I don't get why this sort of projects bother with trailers. Might as well release it without announcing beforehand, so people can watch it and download it before they get a C&D.

gideonkain

Nov 12, 2010
It looks quite bad. I think a lot of it has to do with the angle every scene is presented at because the greenscreen is somebody's green bed sheet. The actors don't look like they're occupying an environment, they look like they're in a novelty photograph taken at an amusement park.

Too bad, Final Fantasy VI is the best tale ever told in a video game.