Final Fantasy VI Mobile Releases, Adds Typos

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Final Fantasy VI Mobile Releases, Adds Typos

Final Fantasy VI's mobile remake features a spelling error in its second line of dialogue.

I will admit to being a bit biased against the mobile remake of Final Fantasy VI at this point. I was hopeful back when it was <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/128580-Square-Enix-Final-Fantasy-VI-Mobile-Port-Like-a-Remake>first announced but my optimism came to a pretty swift end when screenshots for the game <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/130215-Square-Enix-Releases-First-Final-Fantasy-VI-Mobile-Screens>began to surface. The backgrounds and environments looked pretty enough, but the sprites just looked weird and out of place. As if that weren't the final straw, it would now appear that Square Enix hasn't been paying the closest attention to the game's script.

In case you didn't know, the Android version of Final Fantasy VI <a href=https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.square_enix.android_googleplay.FFVI>launched yesterday. One enterprising player, in turn, has taken to Imgur to <a href=http://imgur.com/a/m0iag>post screenshots and impressions. While some screens exhibit a few genuinely interesting additions from the remake, one image reveals that Square Enix allowed a typo to slip into the game's dialogue. Granted, typos do happen sometimes, even in games. That being the case, it's arguably a bit problematic when a typo occurs in the second line of dialogue during an opening that is more than a bit famous. You'd just think that Square Enix would know how to spell "esper" at this point.

[gallery=2021]

It's a real shame too because it really does look like Square Enix made some intelligent choices in other spots. Sabin's Blitz controls, for instance, apparently make good use of the touch controls. The game also introduces some fairly intelligent modernizations to help lessen some of the more archaic elements of the original version. I still don't like elements of the visuals and the price ($15.99) most certainly isn't right, but I could see reasons why some might want to give this version a try. For my part, I'm sticking to the three copies I already have.

Source: <a href=http://imgur.com/a/m0iag>Imgur

jp201

Nov 24, 2009
It could be worse, Final Fantasy All the Bravest showed us how shitty of a product they can make.

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
Did they re-translate the game again or did someone just forget the keyboard shortcuts for copy and paste?

And yeah, not digging those sprites... They aren't bad per se, but it's kind of like eating at a Japanese KFC; I have an expectation of what I should be getting, and this just isn't quite it.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
Honestly for my money I would have preferred a 3d re-imagining akin to what was done with FFIII(DS/And) than the 2d touch up job given to FF2 for PSP. I guess it is business logic at work. Hold out doing what would be closer to a logical end result and instead give yourself more opportunities to re-charge for each consequent minor upgrade you can put between point A & B

Edit: I also get that it is scary to radically divert from source material, even on a purely visual level as you run the risk of alienating supporters of the original source material when the re-invention of adding an additional dimension may result differently than what they have always internally and individually envisioned what that translation would look like.

If this is the motivation, It at least it would be SE being consistent for once given they will not dare touch FF7 with a 10 ton Chocobo and likely for much of the same reason. If you played FF7 back during its initial release, ask yourself did the visualization presented in Advent Children truly mesh with what you thought these settings and characters when you originally played it, or were there ample little tiny things you felt were just off?

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
Wow, they just stop caring now. How many re-releases did it take? Please tell me they're eventually going to use all this remake money to make a decent original FF after straying too far away from the classic formula that ended with FF9. I wouldn't buy this anyway, because I don't believe anyone saying Sabin's Blitz's can work on a finicky touch screen unless they are VERY forgiving with the input.

Colt47

Oct 31, 2012
viranimus said:
Honestly for my money I would have preferred a 3d re-imagining akin to what was done with FFIII(DS/And) than the 2d touch up job given to FF2 for PSP. I guess it is business logic at work. Hold out doing what would be closer to a logical end result and instead give yourself more opportunities to re-charge for each consequent minor upgrade you can put between point A & B

Edit: I also get that it is scary to radically divert from source material, even on a purely visual level as you run the risk of alienating supporters of the original source material when the re-invention of adding an additional dimension may result differently than what they have always internally and individually envisioned what that translation would look like.

If this is the motivation, It at least it would be SE being consistent for once given they will not dare touch FF7 with a 10 ton Chocobo and likely for much of the same reason. If you played FF7 back during its initial release, ask yourself did the visualization presented in Advent Children truly mesh with what you thought these settings and characters when you originally played it, or were there ample little tiny things you felt were just off?
The problem with Advent Children is that they picked the driest locations to showcase the characters with the exception of the Church, which remains the ONLY place that had any kind of life in it. It's sort of a minor complaint in light of all the other things wrong with it, but it still bugs me a bit. There's nothing wrong with having some dead and dreary locations, but it all turns to gray when they don't have a contrast.

Miyenne

May 16, 2013
My favourite game of all time. I had been hoping for a bigger, better remake. I'm a bit disappointed. I don't think I'll get this.

TheEvilCheese

Cheesey.
Dec 16, 2008
I honestly think the original looks far better. And I first played it last year, not having any great nostalgia for it. This sounds like SE lately, release a shoddy mobile game at a price that doesn't account for the age of the content or the platform precedent. I'll stick with my cheaper and nicer looking PSN copy thanks.

Dr.Awkward

Mar 27, 2013
Because, you know, Ted Woolsey's translation wasn't apparently good enough and/or "out of date". And it was the last translation he did for the Final Fantasy series too, as his absence really shows within the first few minutes of Final Fantasy 7.

Who was in charge of the mobile version of VI anyways? I do know that the Beijing studio was in charge of the GBA ports of IV, V and VI.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
Colt47 said:
The problem with Advent Children is that they picked the driest locations to showcase the characters with the exception of the Church, which remains the ONLY place that had any kind of life in it. It's sort of a minor complaint in light of all the other things wrong with it, but it still bugs me a bit. There's nothing wrong with having some dead and dreary locations, but it all turns to gray when they don't have a contrast.
That is a good point. Just as you point to there being multiple things wrong with it and those things existing on a subjective level. That echoes what I was trying to put forth. I felt hair was somewhat buried in this weird uncanny valley as one of my personal examples. That is why I suspect why SE is more cautious about making such transitions. Knowing that everything you change is something else for people to develop a complaint over and no two sets of complaints will be in perfect alignment. Why would anyone take such a risk when they know that a large portion of their core demographic has historically a consistent a predisposition to take exception to nearly anything they do.(granted most of it earned) As far as fan bases go, SE has perhaps one of the most fickle, at least in western audiences, so you really cannot be surprised if they are reluctant to expose their most beloved properties to that kind of demographic ambivalence.

Still, I would rather have seen it be visually renovated instead of simply slapping a fresh coat of paint on it. Especially when there is a visual disconnect between distinct quality levels of npc sprite models, sprite animations, particles, area assets, and background textures. If it is that widly varied, then it would have made more sense to start from scratch in order to ensure a consistent stylization.

Or maybe I am just looking at it all too hard and critically.

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
Square Enix better not touch Final Fantasy 9. Ever.

Basically, their handling of their past games recently has been the equivalent of this:

Zeraki

WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOOOOOR!?
Legacy
Feb 9, 2009
New Jersey
Country
United States
It sucks that for the 20th Anniversary of Final Fantasy VI, this is what we get. A hollow cash grab with minimal effort. And they apparently threw out the original translation(if "Son of A Submariner" isn't in the game I call BS).

Who in their right mind thought those sprites looked good? Why couldn't we get a remake in the vein of FFIV on the PSP? That would have been perfect.

EdHaag

Jun 15, 2011
FFVI is my favorite game in the series, and is on my short list for best game of all time, period.

There are only two changes to that masterpiece that I would even consider:

1. Fix the Realm bug so that she's actually a useable character.

2. Replace the horrid SNES MIDI music with an actual orchestra, so that Nobuo Uematsu's PHENOMENAL score gets the treatment it deserves. Note that the score itself shouldn't change by one note.

Anything else is a detriment to the game and therefore I won't be picking this one up.

Keith K

Oct 29, 2009
SE is simply inept at this kind of thing. With everyone who ever participated in the development of these classics now gone, it's not too much of a surprise. There's no love or passion in the remaking of these games.

Anyone who still asks for another Chrono game should stop. They're only asking for their own heartbreak.

Colt47

Oct 31, 2012
The problem isn't even the presentation at this point. They are targeting a device without understanding the demographic using the device. If they wanted to target the audience that is likely going to buy the game, they should be doing this on the PC or one of the major home consoles.

Think about it: They are putting Final Fantasy VI on the console that is home to the likes of Star Trek Trixels, Angry Birds, and other quick, play for a few minutes games. I mean the platform technology is great for the type of game that it is, but it's about the person using the device as much as it is the capabilities of the device.

Foolery

No.
Jun 5, 2013
Looks fine to me, aside from the typos. My only issue is the platform choice. I don't own any android or iOS devices.

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
Dead Century said:
Looks fine to me, aside from the typos. My only issue is the platform choice. I don't own any android or iOS devices.
The character sprites, despite looking like they were improved, feel like they have less detail than the SNES version of the game. It's like... why bother with creating new sprites if you're just going to downgrade them? Surely the SNES sprites weren't too much to handle for mobile devices that a downgrade was needed. Over-all, they're just too un-detailed, and they pop-out too much compared to the drab backgrounds. They just aren't aesthetically pleasing.

Foolery

No.
Jun 5, 2013
WhiteTigerShiro said:
Dead Century said:
The character sprites, despite looking like they were improved, feel like they have less detail than the SNES version of the game. It's like... why bother with creating new sprites if you're just going to downgrade them? Surely the SNES sprites weren't too much to handle for mobile devices that a downgrade was needed. Over-all, they're just too un-detailed, and they pop-out too much compared to the drab backgrounds. They just aren't aesthetically pleasing.
Well, I can respect that observation. Still, to me, they don't look that bad. Could be worse, honestly. I would have liked to see a level of effort close to what the 'Final Fantasy IV Complete Collection' got but, eh. Low expectations, really. VI was never one of my favourites in the series, so I guess it doesn't bug me as much as other people.

Ritchian

Wait, what?
Jul 29, 2009
...Look, Squenix. We need to talk.

Yes, I've wanted a new version of Final Fantasy 6 for quite some time. It's my favorite of the series and you all seem to dance around remaking it with only slightly less grace than you exhibit when asked about remaking Final Fantasy 7. But please, make it more than a flat remake with a few extra bits taped on and put it on a proper platform instead of phones. Give me my 3DS version that rivals the job you all did on the DS FF4 remake. Or at the very least, give me some new content that expands the game and fleshes out some events like you did with the Chrono Trigger DS rerelease (Though maybe not as grindy with the new bits...) Please, though. I have enough versions of the flat game at this point. I don't need a 'HD remastered' or whatever the buzz word for this would be. I'm good with the ones I already have.

I'm fine with you releasing the same game again. More people should play FF6. But please, put some more effort into it. And maybe proof-read the game a bit more closely?

Akytalusia

Nov 11, 2010
those graphics are pretty smooth. in contrast to the overwhelming tide of negativity towards them, i think they're a pleasant improvement, and a typo or two are hardly newsworthy or significantly detrimental. i'm glad this exists to provide the FFVI experience to the current generation.