Final Fantasy VII PC Port Coming to PS4

Darklupus

Mar 13, 2010
It's kind of understandable. If you really want something so bad, you're going to have to jump through hoops to get it. That's life.

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
Square Enix: Where they will remake FF4, despite it being done in graphics that aged far faster than SNES visuals, and port the original countless times before and after. While, FF7 and others that need remakes will be re-released over and overjust to make money.

Or

Square Enix: Where Final Fantasy has been dead since 2006, but they still find a way to extract money from the corpse and get kicks trolling the fanbase.

Seriously they need a shift in management. I heard and understood one possible reason why they didn't do the PS3 remake was because FF7 was a lot to live up to and didn't want to risk the backlash if the fans hated any changes. But, the situation is getting to the point that they will have milked 7 as much as the earlier games. They longer give a fuck about the quality and spirit of the games. Making a another port seems like a big event just proves it.

V4Viewtiful

Feb 12, 2014
Well this is Lame, If they had remade FF6 with brand new spirits (2D or 3D) I'd have lost my head. But this is soo lame.

kaizen2468

Nov 20, 2009
do everyone a favor and stop reporting on rereleases of any final fantasy game. they do this like a hundred times

gamegod25

Jul 10, 2008
Because let's face it, spending the time and money to make a quality hi-def remake would require giving a shit about the fans and that's not the Square-enix way. Hell I'm not even a fan of FF and I give more of a shit than they do it seems.

Dire Trout

Jan 6, 2014
Does anyone else think that any attempt to remake this game is pretty much doomed to failure? Because I do. No matter what, fans won't be happy. If they leave it exactly as it was, people will complain that it's just a shinier version of the same game they've been playing for the past seventeen years. But if they change anything, no matter how minor, then everybody's going to scream "RUINED FOREVAAAAR!!!1!".

Personally, I'd rather they just learned how to make a new, modern Final Fantasy that isn't shit (for a change).

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Andy Shandy said:
Masterfully done there, Square. You made them believe again and you crushed their hopes exquisitely.
And all within less than a minute. The raising and immediate crushing of hopes was so abrupt I'd imagine the entire audience got whiplash.

OT: Seriously though, while I do feel bad for all the FF7 fans that have been begging and pleading for that HD remake, hasn't SE come out numerous times specifically and expressly saying that they have absolutely no intention or desire to make an FF7 HD remake? Pretty sure they have, so it really shouldn't be all that surprising when *gasp!* it turns out they still have no intention of doing it. "Well maybe they'll surprise us!" HA! I wish I still had that much faith in the industry. :p

Now I have no idea why they wouldn't want to, the demand is clearly there so there's profits to be made. But then again, I have no idea why Capcom staunchly, almost angrily refuses to make a new Mega Man despite the clear and massive demand for one.

totheendofsin

some asshole made me set this up
Jul 31, 2009
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! oh the fan tears right now are so delicious!

Seriously Square Enix, massive props for probably the best troll I have seen in quite some time

SecondPrize

Mar 12, 2012
I don't know what you guys are complaining about. You mean to tell me that I will soon have the opportunity to buy both FFVII AND Street Fighter 4 again? This was a fantastic day guys, simply fantastic.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Alas Square, if you would only take the time, imagine the goodwill and dollar signs you could get. I would certain grab the game the second it came out if you made what so many of us hope for.

But no. You keep doing things like this. I'm not sure what's harder to believe in anymore: A remake of Final Fantasy VII, or the next Half-Life game. Both are things that fans keep begging for, and both are things that developers just refuse to do.

mysecondlife

Feb 24, 2011
Whatislove said:
mysecondlife said:
Whatislove said:
Did they really get Hashimoto all the way here just to tell us they are porting a port of FF7 to the PS4? really?
Remember when PS4 was first announced and the guy from Square Enix came up just to announce that there will be Final Fantasy title coming for PS4 (no shit.. really?) and ended up showing a year old CGI trailer everyone's seen before?

I hope its not just me..
It's just bizarre.. I mean, this isn't a big announcement, like, at all.

We've been able to play the regular old FF7 on the PS1, PSP, PS3, PSV and PC.. it's on the PSN for PS3, PSV, and PSP right now and has been on there for years.

We have all already played the graphically craptacula version, it doesn't matter that it is being upscaled to 1080p, he even said it in the announcement, it is upscaled original graphics.

This is not even an announcement.

Do Square Enix really think fans are going to be happy about this? are they actually intentionally trying to troll fans?

That could have been the biggest shock announcement of the decade if he got up there and said Squeenix were doing a full HD remake.

Edit: If all they were going to do was upscale the graphics to 1080p, I would have been far more excited if they announced it was FF9 being upscaled and put on the PS4...
Its Square Enix. They like to make big announcements and then..

a) Don't follow through it for several years
b) Be utterly pointless ("Finaru Fantashi wiru be comin to Preistashion fo!")
c) It is totally anti-climatic

But audience is at fault as well for expecting it. I know I always blame myself for anxiously expecting The Last Guardian to show up at every Playstation Event.

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
I get the feeling that whenever the higher ups at Square feel like they need a pick-me-up they announce a Not-Remastered FF7, just for the kicks they get at seeing its fans hopes crushed again and again.

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
I find it funny how a lot of people (no one here from what I have seen so far) think they're obliged to make a remake. That said, what they did here was a dick move...

Solo-Wing

Wanna have a bad time?
Dec 15, 2010
God fucking damnit Square. It is like you hate money. Then again you are making Kingdom Hearts 3. STOP SENDING THESE CONFLICTING MESSAGES!

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
chozo_hybrid said:
That said, what they did here was a dick move...
You have to admit though, it was pretty funny and great to see that they had the nerve to do it. I mean, normally I'd be disappointed in Square for doing something like this, but I just can't help but admire the level of trollishness that this is.

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
Neronium said:
chozo_hybrid said:
That said, what they did here was a dick move...
You have to admit though, it was pretty funny and great to see that they had the nerve to do it. I mean, normally I'd be disappointed in Square for doing something like this, but I just can't help but admire the level of trollishness that this is.
I know, but its baffling considering they haven't been doing the best in recent years, you think they would want to be nice to their fans.

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
Ah, the one game where it isn't a taboo to be a graphics whore. If there is one thing I would have to say about retro games and their graphical fidelity is that so long the pixelization is corrected for modern resolutions ect then there's no need for more.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
chozo_hybrid said:
I know, but its baffling considering they haven't been doing the best in recent years, you think they would want to be nice to their fans.
Not doing well in recent years? Since when? I'll need a link about that because from what I've read and seen, Square has been doing quite fine as a publisher for a while now. Last year they were doing major restructurings and reorganizations, but they seem to be stable now. Even if they aren't doing as hot, it's not nearly as bad as how Capcom are doing right now, so Square will be just fine.

Not to mention, remastering Final Fantasy VII would take a ton of work since it wouldn't be as simple as remastering a PS2 game. Despite what some people say, I think Square Enix is honestly smart to not fully redo Final Fantasy VII because it would never live up to the hype and giant following it has. There will be people and reviewers who would rip it apart because it's not like the original or it's too similar. In all possible situations I'd see it as a lose-lose situation.

Not to mention, I personally don't give a crap about Final Fantasy VII much anyway. Wasn't my first one and I didn't grow up with it so I don't really have the childhood nostalgia a lot of people I see have when it comes to it. The game is good, don't get me wrong, but I prefer XII, IX, VI, and V more. I also think that the recent releases for PC when it comes to XIII, the Kingdom Hearts HD Remasters, and the Final Fantasy X Remasters show that Square is being nice to their fans. While I can't say much about the PC version of XIII since I don't have it, I can say that the Kingdom Hearts HD ReMix's are wonderfully put together and function excellently. There are a few bugs here and there, but considering that they actually lost the source code for those games and had to rebuild them entirely I say they did an excellent job. Final Fantasy X HD is loads of fun to play for me, and while I'm not a fan of all the orchestrated remasters, I'd be crazy to say that I don't love Assualt's new orchestrated piece.