Final Fantasy VIII Now on Steam

Jorpho

Nov 6, 2008
Remember how when FFVII was first re-released, it was exclusive to Square's online service for a while? I can't even remember what it was called anymore. I guess they've given up.

Chocobo World was included in the original PC release, so it isn't entirely new. I am kind of curious if they bothered sprucing it up at all; it's a pretty pointless thing.

I'm also curious if they bothered enhancing the backgrounds. One of the rare cards requires you to challenge an NPC who isn't even rendered properly and appears as a bunch of random pixellated blobs in the crowd; it's one of the silliest things I've seen in a Final Fantasy game.

Anyway, there are rumors that the PC version of FFIX was completed and stuck in a drawer somewhere; investigations have revealed that its engine isn't all that different from the other PSX Final Fantasy games (or Parasite Eve). That would be pretty nice to see.

BoredRolePlayer

Nov 9, 2010
Kheapathic said:
BoredRolePlayer said:
I have a question, I haven't played Final Fantasy 8 in for ever, how do you keep squall from leveling up?
You get the Diabolos GF, have it learn the No Encounter ability, equip said ability. Never fight random encounters again = Never level again. Or you can simply run away from every random encounter, without issuing a single command.
Makes sense, I haven't used diablo barely at all while playing FF8. Sounds like a fun task to do

Jun 20, 2013
I'm only mildly incensed that the PSN version didn't think to include the new features. Then again, how else could Square possibly sell me the same game twice, three times, eight times, twenty ...

Dammit, I love that junction system so much.

KOMega

Aug 30, 2010
BoredRolePlayer said:
Kheapathic said:
BoredRolePlayer said:
I have a question, I haven't played Final Fantasy 8 in for ever, how do you keep squall from leveling up?
You get the Diabolos GF, have it learn the No Encounter ability, equip said ability. Never fight random encounters again = Never level again. Or you can simply run away from every random encounter, without issuing a single command.
Makes sense, I haven't used diablo barely at all while playing FF8. Sounds like a fun task to do
Or you could have Quetzalcoatl learn the 'Card' move and kill everything that way.
You still get the potential item drops AND a card (sometimes a rare one randomly), with none of the EXP.

This combined with the 'Card Mod' ability lets you make stuff from the cards. The stuff from the cards can be refined into magics that you could use and get a lot faster than drawing 100x3 every time.

I got 300 Thundaga so early from playing card games too.