Final Fantasy VII's Midgar Reborn in Epic Minecraft Build

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Final Fantasy VII's Midgar Reborn in Epic Minecraft Build

A team of five builders spent two years rebuilding Final Fantasy VII's in Minecraft.

Generally speaking, my favorite parts of Final Fantasy VII were always the ones that took place in Midgar. Don't get me wrong, the rest of the game is obviously filled to the brim with memorable moments and locales. That said, Midgar and the earlier sections of the game were the ones I found most fresh and interesting.

You can perhaps understand then why I find a recently completed <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/137541-Microsoft-Buys-Minecraft-10-Other-Large-Tech-Deals>Minecraft recreation of the famous city to be so danged awesome. Built by a team of five experienced <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/minecraft>Minecraft players, it took a whopping two years to complete and contains a total of 6,642 Minecraft chunks spread out over a 1290x1290 map that includes a smorgasbord of locations drawn from Final Fantasy VII and its spin-offs. Among these are the Sector 1 Mako Reactor, Shin-Ra Headquarters, the city's various slum sectors and the SOLDIER offices from the PSP game Final Fantasy VII: Crisis Core. The team also built in a working transit system to help make the map easier to navigate.

As impressive as all that is on its own, the real kicker is probably the fact the team built most of the map by hand, one brick at a time. "More then 85% of this build WAS indeed hand placed," said co-builder Killerx20. "The only things that were not are the outer plates, tower, and reactors BUT that doesn't mean they were completed when imported, they were basically detail-less empty shells and I wanted it that way so everything on/inside them had to be hand placed for optimal detail." The team also made a point of making sure every building on the map had a visit-able interior in addition to their exterior.

This all adds up to what has to be one of the most epic fan tributes to Final Fantasy VII in recent memory. What do you think about the team's work? Do the end results speak to the time and dedication they put into it? Are there things you think they could have done better? Take a look, <a href=http://www.mediafire.com/download/44uxz62ax69n38i/Midgar+Map.zip>download it if you please, and let us know what you think.

[gallery=3371]

Source: <a href=http://www.minecraftforum.net/forums/mapping-and-modding/maps/2231213-ffvii-midgar-city-the-one-everybody-has-waited-for>Minecraft Forum

BeerTent

Resident Furry Pimp
May 8, 2011
I even notice some blocks from "Forge Microblocks."

Basically, not everything is the base 1x1x1 meter block. They crafted blocks with a saw to make smaller blocks for minute details. That right there, is part of the reason why it probably took them two years to complete, but the payoff is some pretty insane detailing.

Jesus Christ... o_O

Also, linky! I want to download it!

Li Mu

Oct 17, 2011
BeerTent said:
I even notice some blocks from "Forge Microblocks."

Basically, not everything is the base 1x1x1 meter block. They crafted blocks with a saw to make smaller blocks for minute details. That right there, is part of the reason why it probably took them two years to complete, but the payoff is some pretty insane detailing.

Jesus Christ... o_O

Also, linky! I want to download it!
I also would like a link to get to the place. DO IT! DO IT NOOOOOWWWWWWW!

RandV80

Oct 1, 2009
It's garbage if the Shinra building doesn't have the proper 60 flights (or however many it was) of stairs to manually climb!

Really though gotta admire the work it takes into building these things.

Myndnix

Aug 11, 2012
Nothing makes me want to try Minecraft more than stuff like this. This is really, really impressive.

Urgh76

May 27, 2009
I have a feeling that a rebel group like AVALANCHE rising up and destroying reactors here would be even more frowned upon.

That said, if there was some kind of mechanism inside the reactors that they did take out, able to be detonated by those who download it, that would be even more damn impressive.