Final Fantasy X Remake Could Spawn Others

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Final Fantasy X Remake Could Spawn Others

If you ever hope to see that Final Fantasy VII remake we've been waiting a decade-plus for, you should probably set some money aside for the upcoming Final Fantasy X redux.

In what may be the most obvious yet somehow still compelling news to emerge from E3, Square Enix producer Yoshinori Kitase has coyly suggested that the company could be convinced to remake an as-yet-unknown number of its other Final Fantasy titles if the imminent Final Fantasy X remake is a financial success.

Kitase, who served as producer on Final Fantasy X and the more recent Final Fantasy XIII, was recently interviewed by (the refreshingly aptly named) RPG Site, who asked if we might see other titles remade in high-definition beyond Final Fantasy X. "We'll have to wait and see if these remasters are going to be successful, first," Kitase claimed.

"If they do well, I think this will pave the way for more of the previous games to remade in an HD sort of quality."

RPG Site then asked what game might be next on the list of potential remakes, and Kitase had an answer almost immediately. "I mean, if we HAD to single out one of the vast number of Final Fantasy titles which we could make in HD, it would have to be Final Fantasy XII," he replied.

"I was not involved in the project, though, so we can't really comment on that. What I can say though is that I hope the remastering of X and X-2 will trigger similar projects for more of the past games."

As much as the majority of gamers were probably hoping Kitase might say Final Fantasy VII, if one had choose another entry in the series to receive the HD treatment, it would be Final Fantasy XII. Objectively speaking, it's simply one of the best Final Fantasy titles. Of course, we do get the feeling that Kitase's comments are more "gladhanding the public" than anything else, but it's sunny outside, so in the spirit of unrealistic optimism let's all go buy that Final Fantasy X HD remake.

Well, whenever it actually arrives, that is. It still lacks a release date (or even a window of any kind), but we'll let you know just as soon as Square Enix firms up its plans for this ethereal title.

Source: RPG Site [http://www.rpgsite.net/news/2454-square-enix-success-for-ffx-hd-could-pave-the-way-for-more-hd-remakes-including-ffxii]

Nov 28, 2007
Earnest Cavalli said:
As much as the majority of gamers were probably hoping Kitase might say Final Fantasy VII, if one had choose another entry in the series to receive the HD treatment, it would be Final Fantasy XII. Objectively speaking, it's simply one of the best Final Fantasy titles.
I do not think that word means what you think it means.

On a serious notes, I'd totally be up for an HD remake of VI-IX. Any of those four games would be sweet.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
I honestly couldn't care less about a remake of FF VII to be honest, but if they were to remake IX and XII then I'd definitely get those. I'm gonna be getting the remake of X for sure though.
*puts up flame shield because FF VII is not on my top 5 list*

Gearhead mk2

Aug 1, 2011
Squenix, if you're gona remake the FF games and say "buy this stuff", at least remake the GOOD ones first. I'd pay through the nose for an updated version of FFVI or a console version of Dissidia 012.

Nazrel

May 16, 2008
Anything 9 or lower would cost an obscene amount to graphically update even by the ridicules standards of modern AAA's, so they will never make a HD remake of FF VII.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
I think the reason everyone's always begging for FF remakes is because all their recent stuff has been terrible XD

I've never played FFVI and hear it's really good form just about everyone. I'd like to see a remake of that!

ScrabbitRabbit

Elite Member
Mar 27, 2012
Final Fantasy XII can just have it's textures updated and its resolution and framerate increased. Final Fantasy VII would need to be recreated from the ground up, with all new models and environments and a re-orchestrated score. They'd probably end up having to hire voice actors, too.

It's a much more expensive affair than updating a PS2 game.

Mistilteinn

Jul 14, 2012
I'd definitely buy a FFXII HD remake before buying a FFX remake. Even more readily if it's the IZJS version, since I heard it was pretty damn nice.

bismarck55

Mar 1, 2010
thebobmaster said:
Earnest Cavalli said:
As much as the majority of gamers were probably hoping Kitase might say Final Fantasy VII, if one had choose another entry in the series to receive the HD treatment, it would be Final Fantasy XII. Objectively speaking, it's simply one of the best Final Fantasy titles.

On a serious notes, I'd totally be up for an HD remake of VI-IX. Any of those four games would be sweet.
No, this is XII we're talking about. It is objectively the best one. ;p

sirjeffofshort

Oct 2, 2012
Biggest, tease, EVER.

While I understand why FFX and FFXII are the easiest to translate to current or next gen systems, phrasing it in such a manor is just dangling the fruit in front of our faces. (Although I would play the hell out of a FFXII remake as well.)

I actually was curious to see if anyone agrees with me on this, but I remember them saying that the reason a FFVII remake can't happen is because it would be impossible to recreate that world in a modern 3D environment, but does anyone really want that in the first place? For a game like that I have no problem keeping the fixed camera angles and pre-rendered backgrounds, or even just keeping the concept and updating the execution (fully interactive 3D setpieces that have fixed or scripted camera angles.) That would pay the best tribute to the original IMO.

After playing the 3DS version of Ocarina of Time actually, my first thought was that I would pay damn good money for a 3DS version of FFVII even if it was just a remastered 3D port, but I fully accept that I am one of the few that loves the 3DS to the extent that I do haha.

wulfy42

Jan 29, 2009
I'd like to see remakes (not just graphical enhancements...but upgrades in battle modes, character options etc) of these games...in this order.

FF3 (6). My favorite FF game over all...but could be made WAY better with more love, a larger world, no cap on damage (9999)....bigger bosses etc. Each characters abilities could be expanded, the monsters could increase in power (and range of power) and the already long game play time could be doubled. All of that would not be THAT expensive...and a moderately good graphics update could be done at the same time (something they could do in a year). The game already rocks and has great replay value even now....but if they spent even a year working on it...they could resell it for $40 and sell a ton of them.

FF10 I know this is being done already...but I hope it's not just going to be a simple upgrade in graphics. The game was also quite fun....but could be improved on greatly with just alittle time and love.

FF7 Actually not even my 3rd favorite FF game......but I feel it has the most potential for improvement at this point...and the widest audience that would buy it. Again more material, more character options...maybe even more characters....and a longer story could add a ton to this.

And finally.....FF1 !!!! Yes....After FF3(6)...I have played the first final fantasy more then any other. Later final fantasy games did upgrade the system, but they also moved away from the system of choosing what classes you wanted to play with. I played the first with every possible combination of characters (even 4 white mages). Obviously upgrading FF1 would be cake..and super fast compared to the rest. You wouldn't need to change the graphics that much (a quick upgrade to slightly better graphics would probably take almost no time at all)...but you could add way more classes, more monsters, more challenges, perhaps a crafting system and higher tiered classes (or even multi-classes) etc. Many, many games have used the basic template of FF1 and expanded on it....but it would be nice (and easy/cheap) for SE to upgrade/update FF1.....and I think it would be well worth it.

As far as the rest...FF9 for instance is already available on PSN....they could use a remake.....but honestly I wouldn't be as exited about it. The above games could all be drastically improved on, and have a foundation that would allow you to do so without radically changing the game.

As far as remaking FFXII....boggle...is that only so it's playable on newer systems? I mean it didn't come out THAT long ago. It had a very MMO style to it...and while it was ok...I struggled to actually finish it even once. It was the first (prime) FF game I struggled to finish (FFX-2 being the only other one...but it's not a prime).

As far as revamping FFX-2.....I didn't likethe game much. I felt it was like dressup world or soemthing. Sadly that came back in a way for FF13 (why do they want to make us play dressup so much).....I don't really know if they could fix it for me..but I felt that was one of the worst $60 pre-ordered purchases I made.

Mahorfeus

Feb 21, 2011
VII could use a facelift, especially after all of canon crap that the Compilation has arranged in its universe (not all of which has been great). Unfortunately the original just sticks out like a sore thumb, and quite frankly has not aged very well.

X seems to be one of the better FF games out there, despite the hate it seems to get. I'm going to guess that the laughing and whistling scenes have something to do with it, but eh. It is certainly one of the prettier FF games, so I could see how it would benefit from an HD remake.

I suppose the main issue here is that to be remade, most of the originals would have to be rebuilt from the ground up. Square just wants to know if that's worth the effort.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
...HD treatment, it would be Final Fantasy XII. Objectively speaking, it's simply one of the best Final Fantasy title
That's sarcasm right? I mean FFX is a controversial title, but a significant portion of people think it's the series best... XII has weak enthusiasm at best with only a very small number of people who love it the most.

Unless that sentence was referring to VII?

But anyway, I imagine making FFXII HD ready is the easiest which is why they went that way. It's also (along with X) one of the hardest to acquire, whereas VII is already available on at least half a dozen platforms

IndomitableSam

Sep 6, 2011
I liked XII. Quite a bit. I've replayed it in the last year, even. And it was kinda... awful on a big screen. Both X and XII do not look good today, at all. The older ones do as they're a bit more stylized and older-generation, but X and XII look awful.

... And XII is so much better than X. I haven't played X since it came out, but that might say enough in itself.

I'd probably pay for an XII remake, especially if they added some things.

Captcha: 'nanoo nanoo' ... Hah. Hi (and bye) to you too, captcha.

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
bismarck55 said:
thebobmaster said:
Earnest Cavalli said:

No, this is XII we're talking about. It is objectively the best one. ;p
Mmhmm.

RandV80

Oct 1, 2009
For the cost it would take to remake FFVII so it's more comparable to modern games you could probably develop a whole new FF game.

But they could probably just clean the game up and release it with that upscaled classic look.

SecondPrize

Mar 12, 2012
Not sure why I'd buy a X remake if what I want is a VII remake. I don't want a X remake so I'm not going to buy one. I don't see why I need to prove myself to Square Enix. If you make something I want to purchase, i'll do so. If you don't, you don't get my money.

Wait, XII is objectively the best? Well, 6 foot tall rabbit-eared ladies who sound like Bjork aside, subjectively it sucked ass. XII was the FIRST of 11 non mmo Final fantasy games I didn't bother to finish. No world map, no fun combat, no likeable non-Bjork characters, no fucking way.