Final Fantasy X Remake Could Spawn Others

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
I see FFXII is getting a lot of props paid to it. Thank god, it's my second favorite after FFVI. If you were to give me a FFX Remake (I mean not make me pay for it), I still wouldn't play it. I couldn't finish it on the PS2, I couldn't finish it now. FFXII though, I beat that on the PS2 and then I beat it on an emulator playing the FFXII International Zodiac Edition (the one with the job system). I would also accept a remake of FFIX. Final Fantasy VII was a pretty good game, but I think it gets far far more attention than it deserves.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Absolutely can't wait for the Final Fantasy X remake and this is also going to be my first time playing X-2. As much as I'd love to see remakes of the PSX games I'd be just as interested in seeing 3DS ports/remakes of older Final Fantasy titles based on how great the GBA versions of 1 through 6 were. I think the 3DS could nicely house the PSX era titles.

Gray Firion

Mar 5, 2012
Hmm, the games so far up for a remake aren't so bad, with the possible exception of X-2 (basically a game to bring back Tidus by the end; everything else was simply faffing about until that). Don't get me wrong, both X (Plot is nonsensical at times, "How'd they get from the bottom of the frozen Macalania lake to a desert halfway across the world?!", the minigames to unlock the best weapons and their sigils were the worst part of any game ever designed and frustrating to the power of infinity) and XII (Plot is too politically centered; the main character is NOT, in fact, the main character) have their downsides for me, but they're not the worst choices for a remake.

Ok. I loved XII.

Throw out Vaan and Penelo, gimme the other 4 guys and I'll be a happy camper.

The english voicework was absolutely GLORIOUS (even if I defend that all FFs should have an option to use the Japanese voices with english subtitles, since the mannerisms of all characters work much better that way, it's the kind of thing anime characters do; FF X and XIII were specially bad with this, the "laugh" scene in X sounds better and makes more sense in the japanese version for one).

The airships named after former summons each had a cameo and a part to play, with the more important ones being used at opportune times for the character they portrayed in previous games (what, I liked the analogy =P).

The gameplay did what Dragon Age Origins did, only better and before it was cool, and at that time it played like an MMO that you could pause and micromanage every action your team made (while the target lines allowed me to see exactly who was aiming at what and what was aiming at who immediately, that was great).

The Hunt! I have never seen a secondary questline mesh so well with the main one in a Final Fantasy game (wanna break from the story a little but don't wanna search every nook and cranny for the hidden secrets? Do it for the Hunt). You had to draw out targets, you had to fulfill a mild puzzle in the area for most of them to even show (take out this or that guy, bring these or those guys in your party, search for the target in the rain season, drop a bait here and there, mess with it's things) and you had to fight all of them as if they were bosses each with a different set of moves, vulnerable to diferent status ailments and elements, and with differing win conditions other than "Kill Boss" sometimes. A game full of Bonus bosses! And a loot system that didn't rely on spiders dropping gold, but each monster gave appropriate trophies, that could then be used to craft special weapons and armor at vendors (if they were rare materials) or sell for gold to buy average ones (first final fantasy to try this, and it did it well).

Sorry for the long post, felt like spreading some love on XII. That game takes a lot of flak for some reason, but for me, it was the Monster Hunter you could play decently alone on a good console xD

Olrod

Feb 11, 2010
I'll be getting the X-2 remake only if the "International + Last Mission" version Dresspheres are included with it, too.

Otherwise I may as well just carry on playing it on my PS2.

Likewise, I'll buy the XII remake if it's the "International Zodiac Job System" version as I already have the original PS2 version.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
Oh man, I gotta go back and play FF12 sometime. Mechanically it's my absolute favourite FF game to date. And I actually liked most of the characters. Still can't remember 95% of the story though!#

As for remakes, I couldn't care less about a remake of a game I've already played. Remakes of games I haven't played however are extremely tantalising.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Why couldn't they just start with the one that people have been asking for the past decade or so? It's too soon to reboot FFX.

ShadowKatt

Mar 19, 2009
So, lemme get this straight, if I want a remake of any other FF, I have to buy the remake of X.

In other words, you're holding the entire franchise hostage unless we give you money for this one.

I'm sorry, but we don't negotiate with terrorists. Fuck off, Enix.

lancar

Aug 11, 2009
I don't quite see the point in redecorating FFX. I mean, it looks pretty good even today, especially during the combat. If there are FF games in need of remaking it's the ones from the PS1 era. The blockiness that we accepted back then just doesn't cut it today.

As for them mentioning Final Fantasy XII....

I'll be honest, I'm one of those weird alien types that absolutely hated it.

I thought the characters in it were bland (especially Vahn), the environments uninspiring and the combat system boring as hell. I spent a long while playing it about halfway through, and making a concerted effort to liking it all the while (thinking "because... its FF! It's gotta be good! I love all the previous ones, so I'm obviously missing something, right?... right!?!"). Unfortunately, I finally realized I was bored out of my wits and gave up.
Since then, we've only had FF13 and its offspring. I played all the way through that one without much problem, despite thinking it really wasn't very good. Yes, thats right. I'm rating 40 hours of shiny linear corridors HIGHER than the dreary slugfest that was FF12.

Go ahead. Tell me I'm horribly mistaken, tell me I have no idea what I'm talking about and that I obviously missed the point or didn't actually play it. I've heard it all by this point. You won't change my mind. Final Fantasy was a truly great game series up until FFX, and after that it's all gone to shit.

FFXV looks good, though. I really, really, really hope it is, or my faith in squeenix's handling of this franchise will be completely gone.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
DVS BSTrD said:
they're going to make us buy every other FF game again first aren't they?
No, they're going to make us KEEP buying every other FF game because once they fire that gun, it's over.

Nieroshai

Aug 20, 2009
Nazrel said:
Anything 9 or lower would cost an obscene amount to graphically update even by the ridicules standards of modern AAA's, so they will never make a HD remake of FF VII.
Graphically update? Why not just remake it? Simple as making a new game, except the maps and actor script already exist.. There ARE no roadblocks in the way that aren't in the way of just making a new AAA title.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
I'm not sure why a touch up to a FF is at all a surprise given they've put out FF1-4 out on everything with a screen in a remade fashion. They port, touch up and toss their stuff on everything.

How about they stop mistreating the Tactics series and give that some actual attention to porting so the gameplay doesn't suffer, where modders were able to get FFT running better on PSP than them...oh wait, FFT as a PSOne classic runs perfectly too. Oops.

Olrod

Feb 11, 2010
Nieroshai said:
Nazrel said:
Anything 9 or lower would cost an obscene amount to graphically update even by the ridicules standards of modern AAA's, so they will never make a HD remake of FF VII.
Graphically update? Why not just remake it? Simple as making a new game, except the maps and actor script already exist.. There ARE no roadblocks in the way that aren't in the way of just making a new AAA title.
Exactly.

Every time Square claim that remaking FFVII would be too cost-prohibitive or will take too long, I call bull.

How can it take longer to remake a game where they already have the plot, world and combat mechanics, than it would be to design a brand new game from scratch?

Bara_no_Hime

Sep 15, 2010
Earnest Cavalli said:
if one had choose another entry in the series to receive the HD treatment, it would be Final Fantasy XII. Objectively speaking, it's simply one of the best Final Fantasy titles.
**laughs**

Wow, Earnest - that's a wicked sense of humor you have there. Calling one of the worst Final Fantasy games the "objectively best" is hilarious. Well done.

I can only assume that Kitase was trolling RPG Site with that comment. FF X is an awesome game and deserves a remake. If they want another game that deserves a remake, they're gonna have to look at the PS1 era games - FF 7, 8, or 9.

Ikasury

May 15, 2013
wait, people hated FFX? i LOVED FFX!! :D and to a lesser extent X-2... a remake, even if its just updated graphics would be nice, the shift between cutscene graphics and game graphics is bad on a game not using sprites nowadays, and the visuals in both were so brightly colorful and really spectacular music sequences (the opening has freakin' Rammstein, what the hell's not to love?) i hope the get rid of the 'new' blitzball in X-2 for the one in FFX, it was hella better... if i'm going to complain about ANYTHING it'd be that...

as for FFVII? in my opinion it can die in a fiery inferno for all i care... but i know they're going to dangle that till the end of time as its the one thing that will ENSURE not only Squenix surviving for a millenia, but the PS as well... IF they keep to Sony's console... if they strayed... oh, the wars that will start *snorts*

i miss squaresoft stuff... but any remake is hope for other, more worthy games i suppose... would like if they remade the 1-6, played one reintroduce on PSP, and surprisingly kept me entertained in that old handheld type way... but i dunno if they CAN remake that in a 'now' sense, since it kind of requires 4 anonymous starting characters instead of ones with actual plot/background like the other characters in the FF series i've seen... and i'd like to give those a try with upgraded graphics... same with 8 and 9 i guess... though i have issue with 8 on the principle of being an Xenogears fan *shrugs*

7 can still burn for all i care... woo new 10~!! :D

Yvl9921

Our Sweet Prince
Apr 4, 2009
I'm actually replaying FFXII again right this second, and the game definitely has more objective flaws than pluses, unless you're the type that doesn't believe that story elements can't be measured objectively.

- The quickening system is horribly broken, and if used properly can replace strategy entirely for the majority of the game.

- Lack of character conflict. In FF8 we have a main character who is forced to be a leader despite how much he hates the burden of having others depend on him. In FF6 Locke is haunted by his past failings and obsessively protects Terra and Celes to try to cope with the loss of Rachel. In FF12, Vaan's there pretty much cuz he wants to be.

- Weak central antagonist and setup. Most of Vayne's evil deeds are done off-screen, and there's little in the game that indicates that things were much better before Archadian occupation. The game starts you off after the occupation, causing the player to be "born into" Archadian rule, with no frame of reference that things are worse now than they were before. Sure the characters SAY it, but their word is all we have to go on.

- HORRIBLE pacing. The game runs out of story midway through. Between Bur Omisaice and encountering Cid (and to a lesser before that), there's close to nothing happening in the story except for you running halfway across the continent. I went days without seeing a word of plot my first time through, save for a good 60 seconds of exposition out of nowhere.

That's just a few. I could go on, but I want to get back to hunting stuff. The game did SOME things right.

lancar said:
I thought the characters in it were bland (especially Vahn), the environments uninspiring and the combat system boring as hell. I spent a long while playing it about halfway through, and making a concerted effort to liking it all the while (thinking "because... its FF! It's gotta be good! I love all the previous ones, so I'm obviously missing something, right?... right!?!"). Unfortunately, I finally realized I was bored out of my wits and gave up.
Since then, we've only had FF13 and its offspring. I played all the way through that one without much problem, despite thinking it really wasn't very good. Yes, thats right. I'm rating 40 hours of shiny linear corridors HIGHER than the dreary slugfest that was FF12.
This was my experience almost exactly. Only I didn't lose faith as easily as you did - I finished, then went back and replayed it because I thought for sure I had missed something the first time around. I wasnt satisfied after the second playthrough either.

WeepingAngels

May 18, 2013
How long have they been working on the Final Fantasy X remake and we still don't have a release date? It's a much smaller game than FF 12 is too.

You won't see an HD remake of FF 12 until 2016 at the earliest.

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
FF XII was one of the best ones?
Its the game that single handedly destroyed my final fantasy fanboyism so gonna have to disagree there.

Otherwise see a remake of FFX as being pointless even though i liked that game, its from a recent generation and the graphics still hold up well in my opinion.

Id rather they remake older final fantasies, with my own particular favorite being FF9.

lancar said:
I'll be honest, I'm one of those weird alien types that absolutely hated it.

+1 Thats what broke of my FF fanboyism, when i realized i was actually bored and finding FFXII a chore to play. I was BORED playing a final fantasy, what kind of heresy is this?

Never bothered with FFXIII so wont comment on that.

Nazrel

May 16, 2008
Olrod said:
Nieroshai said:
Nazrel said:
Exactly.

Every time Square claim that remaking FFVII would be too cost-prohibitive or will take too long, I call bull.

How can it take longer to remake a game where they already have the plot, world and combat mechanics, than it would be to design a brand new game from scratch?
Sure, all they'd have to do is cut out the world map, much of the dungeons, the side quests, the optional characters, and they can totally reduce a once classic game to a hollow mockery consisting entirely of walking down a tunnel; while maintaining the standard bloated AAA budget that has no realistic chance of making back it's cost.

King Kazma

Apr 25, 2013
FF-9 remake. I just want the graphics updated, change nothing else. Don't touch the music, the battle system, Just the graphics. Game and videos.