Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Gets Vita Release Date

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Gets Vita Release Date

The HD remasters of Final Fantasy X/X-2 will launch simultaneously on Vita and PS3.

Back in November, Square Enix did its fans the solid of <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/129735-Final-Fantasy-X-X-2-HD-Gets-Release-Date-New-Trailer>finally confirming a release date for the PS3 edition of HD Final Fantasy X and X-2 HD remasters. Sadly, however, for fans hoping to play promised Vita versions of the games, the company neglected to make a similar announcement for the portable editions. Thankfully, that's no longer the case.

Square Enix has just recently revealed that the Vita game will launch simultaneously alongside the PS3 edition. In other words, if you already had plans to grab yourself a copy for PS3 on March 18th (March 21st in Europe), you can also, or alternatively, buy the Vita version too. Happily, whereas it had, <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/127971-Final-Fantasy-X-and-X-2-HD-Launch-This-Winter>in the past, been thought that Square Enix was going to try and sell the portable games separately, it has also now confirmed that Final Fantasy X HD on Vita will come packaged with a download code for Final Fantasy X-2.

That is, of course, great news, especially if you understandably didn't fancy forking over extra cash for both versions. There are, after all, limits to how much money people are willing to spend to watch a strangely dressed volleyball player laugh awkwardly (I kid, I kid). Any who, if you're planning on picking one of these up, let us know which one strikes your fancy. Will you be revving up your PS3 for a little more RPG action or dusting off your Vita for a bit of Final Fantasy on the go?

Source: <a href=http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/12/16/final-fantasy-xx-2-hd-release-date-announced>IGN

Mister K

This is our story.
Apr 25, 2011
It is a really nice decision (I mean inclusion of free digital version of FFX-2). I'been playing mostly on Vita, so if all goes unchanged it will be the version of choice for me.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Unless they are actually going to release a final version of "Final Fantasy X: Final Mission" along with a much needed apology to the USA and it's fans I have no real interest.

One of the big reasons I go off on Japan so bad is because back when "Final Fantasy X-2" was released a big deal was being made among gamers in Japans that the end of the game and it's storyline was going to be "Japan Only" and was being advertised as a very deliberate snub towards the US and Western Gamers in response to accusations at the time that Japan was selling out to the US and it's market, and they Japanese gamers felt snubbed when the inferior Gaijin were getting everything they had even if it was a year or so later. Around this same time we had "Final Fantasy X: International" with additional content being released, international to pretty much everyone EXCEPT the USA, which again was apparently an intentional snub.

At the time I was reading fan-translated Japanese periodicals (I was an even bigger nerd) and game coverage and stuff which always struck me as being surprisingly racist, but when I ran into some of this stuff I became more upset than usual where I mostly just dismissed it. I mean it's bad enough when you had so many series not being released in the US despite demand for similar reasons at all, but to pretty much release two parts of a three part trilogy, and deny answering all of the mounting questions for a specific audience intentionally? That stuck me as being particularly bad.

This incidently is also why a lot of people who criticize "Final Fantasy X" for being a mess and not really resolving a lot of the biggest questions brought up in the game or how it fits together, it was not a complete story, and "Final Fantasy X-2" itself was intended as sort of a sideline addressing character-centric problems like the true nature of Tidus and what the finale of the first game did to Yuna, while still leaving a lot of the biggest central questions hanging.

So unless they want to actually release the final part of the trilogy, why bother at this point?

Such are my thoughts. I haven't followed this information, so the stuff might be there, but even so without an apology it seems kind of hollow after all these years given the deliberate snub. I may or may not decide to pick it up in that case to finish the series properly, but I confess to a degree of reluctance to wanting to give them an influx of cash at the same time given how this entire thing went down.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
I thought this was going to get released a LOT earlier, like in Jan or Feb.

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
Therumancer said:
Yeah, I'm not giving in to Square's next cash-in since the ran out of inspiration around when 12 was madem, unless the version released in the USA at least has FFX:International in it. It may have sorta made sense back in the days of expensive carts not to release a game they thought wouldn't sell enough to make up for the costs to get it to a foreign market, but DVDs can be made cheap. They had no reason not to give everyone a chance to buy International, and this rerelease is their chance to make up for it. Don't drop the ball Square. You've done it too many times since X came out.

Jun 20, 2013
Hairless Mammoth said:
Therumancer said:
Yeah, I'm not giving in to Square's next cash-in since the ran out of inspiration around when 12 was madem, unless the version released in the USA at least has FFX:International in it. It may have sorta made sense back in the days of expensive carts not to release a game they thought wouldn't sell enough to make up for the costs to get it to a foreign market, but DVDs can be made cheap. They had no reason not to give everyone a chance to buy International, and this rerelease is their chance to make up for it. Don't drop the ball Square. You've done it too many times since X came out.
My understanding is that the HD Remaster is based on the International Editions of the games. That and no particular mentions have been made regarding cuts of content for the North American or European releases of the titles. Of course, I'm not holding my breath over it.

jericu

Oct 22, 2008
Is it cross-buy? Or do you have to buy copies for the two systems separately?

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Kheapathic said:
Importing my copy for the PS3, I got nothing pressing to do for the winter break.
I can't decide if I should do that or not. I mean, on the one hand I do know Japanese and could understand the game just fine. But on the other hand, I was getting X HD (or International as I call it) so that I could restart my LP, and I don't want to have to translate the entire thing. I already did that once with Kingdom Hearts Final Mix (PS2 version) and let me tell you, it was hell. >.<

OT: Well I'm more than likely gonna get it on the PS3, but if I had a Vita I'd have to see how it would run on it first though. Plus there's the fact that I don't know if I'm importing it or not.