Final Fantasy XIII-2 Debuts to Lackluster Sales

cefm

Mar 26, 2010
Just hit the reset (or tsunami or meltdown) button already, Square. You've done it many times before, asked the fans to drop the world and characters and setup they were used to and try a NEW fantasy adventure, and we went along with you with generally positive results. But you're stuck in the past now and just need to overhaul everything and come out with a NEW game, not a re-hashing of every bad J-pop/J-anime craptastic stereotype ever made.

Sylveria

Nov 15, 2009
A quick cash-in sequel to a mediocre game. Can't imagine why it isn't selling huge numbers right away. It is getting the sales it deserves. Actually, I dare say it is doing better than it deserves.

Jfswift

Hmm.. what's this button do?
Nov 2, 2009
It looks kind of cool and I want to buy it but I'm feeling overwhelmed ATM with all the games coming out lately. I haven't even finished ff 13 yet :(

thedeathscythe

Aug 6, 2010
Andy of Comix Inc said:
For some reason, I read this headline, smiled, and sighed with relief.

I think I'm a bad person. All I could think was YEAH FUCK YOU FINAL FANTASY XIII. God I hated FFXIII. I'm so happy to see it failing. I have never been this vindictive with any game series, ever. Even if Call of Duty - a series I despise - announced it sold badly, I'd feel slightly let down, and sorry for the devs.

This news? This news cheered me up...
THIS.

Seriously, I was excited for Final Fantasy 13, and so far, it has been one of the only Final Fantasy's that I haven't beaten due to sheer boredom. I used to vehemently defend the series, and used it as the apex of the RPG genre when getting my friends into RPG's. I was very disappointed by FF13. I have to admit, I like Call of Duty games, but part of that reason is because they listen to their fans and consistently make good games. Sure, they only make marginal changes each time, but I'd rather have a consistently fun experience than have them beta test a new combat system on me with a game that apparently gets better about 20 hours in. Now, yeah, I want innovation, but shhh, when we're talking about AAA titles, you no longer expect innovation, especially if it's a sequel.

I'm also glad to see it fail simply because I hope they learn something from this. Reviews practically gave Square Enix fellatio, while the fans cried and complained. Here we see the dichotomy of such a scenario. The sales are high, reviews are great, but the fans hate it, so they make a sequel. Though it still sells well, we see the sales significantly drop from the first game. This is a lesson for them, that at the end of the day, fan support means more than reviews.

So, long rant...TL;DR, AAA titles, especially sequels, don't need innovation, FF13 was a let down and felt like they were beta testing it on us. It failed. Square Enix can learn from this.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
oh...right. it's out in Japan I see.
hmm normally I'd say something like "FFXIII...ughhhhhh" but maybe I should give it another try...ergh
more than can be said for XIII-2 tho...

AetherWolf

Jan 1, 2011
I might give this game a chance. They seem to be at least trying to make up for the mistakes of FFXIII (plus I hear Tri-Ace was involved in developement, which genuinely surprised me)... though that asshole Motomu Toriyama was still involved, so I still have doubts. I'll wait until the game is rotting at the bottom of a bargain bin before I even consider spending money on it. I spent $75 on the release of FFXIII, after waiting patiently since E3 2006, and look where that got me. :/

AuronFtw

Nov 29, 2010
Squeenix haven't made a single good game since the merge halfway through the production of X, which probably technically means it isn't theirs anyway.

Not sure why anyone expects them to suddenly make good games. The only actual JRPGs they've released were 12 and 13, both of which were godawful, and two MMOs which both flopped.

They need to have a company-wide sit down and play through ff6, 7, 8, and 9, and re-learn what the whole Final Fantasy thing is about, because they obviously have no idea.

Rossmallo

Feb 20, 2008
Were Squenix SERIOUSLY suprised about this? X2 was a MONSTROUS pile of shit, and they thought that people would just FORGET about that?

The hell's wrong with them?

Cannibal Johnson

Dec 29, 2011
Wait wait wait, Final Fantasy XIII-2 came out? They made a SEQUEL to Final Fantasy XIII? Welp, time I go to my fallout shelter because obviously the crazy virus has started and first contact was with Square-Enix.

Lucas Leach

Jan 6, 2012
im getting in on this yeah XIII sucked i was giggly waiting for it i thought finally a good rpg i spent 5 hours sitting in the mall waiting for it i feel the story was lacking it didn't give the same felling 7,8,9 gave me i wasn't driven to find out what happens next the exploration felt way to simple til you got to gran pulse which the game totally didn't prepare you for and the whole armor break thing was just plain stupid it was just a sustained critical hit and i don't wanna know when im gonna deal high damage its the surprise of it i enjoy but i see people going great battle system turn-based ATB is a battle system this paradigm thing is not you could get killed by an attack that wasn't meant for you just because the game decided that's where you would stand and final fantasy I to IX were turn based as well as X-2 and im at odds with X not a bad game but low on my tier anyway the complaints started when they took it away and why did they not have levels can you name any rpg other than the Chrono Trigger/Cross which were so epic it doesn't matter i hate FFXIII i was a steaming pile of crap that they shiiped out with a $60 price tag i'm gonna try XIII-2 but not til it hits the bargain bin i have faith in FF i hope this ones what ive come to expect but i don't expect to see the game i love ever be as good as it was and for those of you looking for a good game try legend of dragoon it released the same time as FF7 so alot of people missed it but its as good if not better

Motakikurushi

Jul 22, 2009
I am continuously astonished that this atrocity is still carrying on. It's like Square-Enix are blind and deaf and have no understanding either of what makes a decent RPG or what makes a decent video game in general. FFXIII did not only disappoint me, it betrayed me. I stuck out for 60 hours with that thing, waiting for it to start being good, and it never did.
I just played the demo. Basically more of the same, except now it's like FFX-2 with quicktime events, so worse. Much, much worse.
Square: So yeah, should we continue the FFXIII series?
Everyone on the entire planet: "GOD, NO, NO, JESUS NO, PLEASE JUST NO!"
Square: GREAT! Sequel coming real soon guys!