Final Fantasy XIII-2 Debuts to Lackluster Sales

Saucycarpdog

Sep 30, 2009
Andy of Comix Inc said:
For some reason, I read this headline, smiled, and sighed with relief.

I think I'm a bad person. All I could think was YEAH FUCK YOU FINAL FANTASY XIII. God I hated FFXIII. I'm so happy to see it failing. I have never been this vindictive with any game series, ever. Even if Call of Duty - a series I despise - announced it sold badly, I'd feel slightly let down, and sorry for the devs.

This news? This news cheered me up...
Wait. You despise COD yet would be sad if it was announced to not have sold as well? I think you need to rethink that sentence.

Anyway, I was one of the few to have liked FFXIII's story. Of course, it was the first time I played a FF. The one thing I hated was the amount of enemies you had to travel through and almost no freeroaming even in Pulse.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Hm...that's too bad. While Final Fantasy XIII wasn't nearly as good as the older games (7, 8, 9, 10), I did think it was a step back in that direction after what XII was doing. I did not like that one at all.
I'm glad they made a sequel to XIII because that ending was utterly terrible from a story stand point. Looking forward to seeing if XIII-2 will wrap things up better. Already have this game pre-ordered.
Totally agree with having a yearly release of the Final Fantasy series as a bad idea. Very, very bad idea. The only way I can see that even remotely working is if they use already established worlds and characters. So basically, making sequels to previous games.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Wait... this is out?

Well, anyway, the low sales are interesting.

I guess a large number of the many people who bought XIII weren't exactly impressed. Personally, I'm just going to watch the cutscenes on Youtube, just like I did with XIII once I got sick a corridor full of repetitive combat.

Arkley

Mar 12, 2009
I can't say I'm surprised it hasn't sold as well as its predecessor. I didn't like FF XIII one bit, but to me it was just another bad game. Many people pointed to it as an example of the Japanese gaming industry's stagnation or refusal to adapt, some saw it as an example of the gaming industry's insistence on placing spectacle and cinematics over interactivity. Perhaps it was both of those things and more, but to me, it was always just a bad game, a poorly designed game, but nothing worth dragging through the mud the way some people have.

But what I do hate, what I really abhor, is FF XIII-2. I don't even need to play it to hate it, because of what it stands for - Square Enix's tremendous arrogance.

They decided, before FF XIII was even released, that it was going to be a franchise. Not even just that it was going to have a sequel, it was going to be a franchise. Before any fans had seen it, before they knew whether anyone liked it or not, they'd decided it was going to be a franchise. Before FF XIII was even released, they were working on its sequel and co-titles. Even after it was released, divisive even among ardent fans, maligned by others.

But no, it was still going to have a sequel, to be a franchise. Because they know what's best for us.

It's just disgusting, frankly. They threw the Final Fantasy VII franchise at us, but as widely disliked as that game is now, it was once considered one of the best. It had an enormous and devoted following, and had a huge impact on gaming. So a franchise at least made sense - they were giving a very large number of people what they wanted.

But in this case, SE were deciding what we wanted before hearing anything about it. And then when they did hear about it, they ignored their fans, and carried on anyway - only a token promise of "more freedom this time" to indicate that they listened at all.

Draconalis

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2008
digital warrior said:
I mean I'm a huge fan of their old games, chrono trigger, ff6, ff7, ff9, even chrono cross, All great games.
I like your game selection... but I think I'd add ff5 to the list.

I'm particularly happy that 8 is not mentioned.

Draconalis

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2008
Shark Wrangler said:
Always funny how gamers take stuff like a bad game in the series so damn personally. Like to play this game because it sounds like they fixed the problems. Big let down with Final Fantasy 13, but I don't want them to stop making it. Every company makes god awful choices and they are not immune to it. Really funny how gamers think that every game that comes out has to be tailored for them or it sucks. Thats a high horse I would gladly kick you down from if I could.

It's not a matter of taking a bad game personally. The player base was burned once, and now they are more cautious when approaching the fire again.

If they really did fix all the problems that FF13 had, then the half a million unit's sold will tell others the game doesn't suck, word of mouth will cause sales to rise again.

I say kudos to those that aren't willing to blindly purchase the game.

Edit:

I was going to merge my two posts... but I forgot I can't delete my own posts...

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
Andy of Comix Inc said:
For some reason, I read this headline, smiled, and sighed with relief.

I think I'm a bad person. All I could think was YEAH FUCK YOU FINAL FANTASY XIII. God I hated FFXIII. I'm so happy to see it failing. I have never been this vindictive with any game series, ever. Even if Call of Duty - a series I despise - announced it sold badly, I'd feel slightly let down, and sorry for the devs.

This news? This news cheered me up...
...Are you serious?

Because they made a mistake, they deserve to fail forever? I think you're right about yourself.

I mean, really, this is type of thing I'd expect to read on Youtube.

80Maxwell08

Jul 14, 2010
Hatchet90 said:
... Well I'll be buying it. I really enjoyed Final Fantasy XIII.
Well then enjoy it when it gets to where ever you are. Most people here don't like it, me being one of then but I only played around 30 minutes before I decided not to waste my time with a game I didn't enjoy, but if you like it then go ahead and get it. From what I've seen and heard it looks like more of the same so you should like it.

Ligisttomten

Sep 20, 2004
I lost all faith in the Final Fantasy franchise after the garbage that was FFXII and FFXIII. The only two Final Fantasy games I never finished.

Mirrorknight

Jul 23, 2009
Final Fantasy XIII-2 could be God's gift to Earth, but I'm not playing it until I manage to sit down, somehow keep down my bile, and get though the first XIII.

That's not going to happen.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Wait, Final Fantasy XIII-2 is a thing?

Please tell me I'm not just entirely oblivious, but they actually didn't advertise it much. (Which may contribute to the lack of sales, actually...)

Quantum Star

Jul 17, 2010
Arkley said:
They decided, before FF XIII was even released, that it was going to be a franchise. Not even just that it was going to have a sequel, it was going to be a franchise. Before any fans had seen it, before they knew whether anyone liked it or not, they'd decided it was going to be a franchise. Before FF XIII was even released, they were working on its sequel and co-titles. Even after it was released, divisive even among ardent fans, maligned by others.

But no, it was still going to have a sequel, to be a franchise. Because they know what's best for us.

It's just disgusting, frankly. They threw the Final Fantasy VII franchise at us, but as widely disliked as that game is now, it was once considered one of the best. It had an enormous and devoted following, and had a huge impact on gaming. So a franchise at least made sense - they were giving a very large number of people what they wanted.

But in this case, SE were deciding what we wanted before hearing anything about it. And then when they did hear about it, they ignored their fans, and carried on anyway - only a token promise of "more freedom this time" to indicate that they listened at all.
Huh, isn't that exactly the same thing as what Mass Effect did? It was planned as a franchise before Bioware knew what was "best for us." (As if they have to answer to our every whim like a slave.) If the first Mass Effect wasn't as good or as popular as Bioware hoped and they announced they were making the next one, would people be reacting as vehemently as you? Planning to be a franchise isn't inherently a bad thing. If a studio plans to make a single game a part of a larger series, it can be much easier to create a larger overarcing narrative and expand on its source material in new and interesting ways, which is good for the fans. Just putting that out there.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
The series has been dead ever since FFXII. They shouldn't have even kept doing FF's after that, but instead they did and handed it over to Square's WORST writer ever. Toriyama seriously has some of the worst technique and plots EVER, the worst offender being the disturbingly sexist 3rd Birthday.

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
Arkley said:
It's just disgusting, frankly. They threw the Final Fantasy VII franchise at us, but as widely disliked as that game is now, it was once considered one of the best.

FF7 is disliked? News to me.

80Maxwell08

Jul 14, 2010
Quantum Star said:
Arkley said:

Huh, isn't that exactly the same thing as what Mass Effect did? It was planned as a franchise before Bioware knew what was "best for us." (As if they have to answer to our every whim like a slave.) If the first Mass Effect wasn't as good or as popular as Bioware hoped and they announced they were making the next one, would people be reacting as vehemently as you? Planning to be a franchise isn't inherently a bad thing. If a studio plans to make a single game a part of a larger series, it can be much easier to create a larger overarcing narrative and expand on its source material in new and interesting ways, which is good for the fans. Just putting that out there.
Well actually they originally planned 3 games. FFXIII, FF Versus XIII, and FF Agito XIII (which became Type-0). FFXIII-2 wasn't originally planned hence the outrage from a title which many people despise. Though many of Square-Enix's recent statements were bound to outrage people from FFXV being an action RPG, which I don't mind but I get the frustration, to wanting to make FF an annual series. They haven't been doing themselves any favors PR wise for a bit.

Ragnarok185

Oct 14, 2011
Final Fantasy XIII was awesome so this is a day one purchase for me. I have a feeling SE have a grudge FFVII, which is fine by me. I hope they end up making FFXIII-3 for a first real trilogy in the FF series.