Final Fantasy XIII-2 Debuts to Lackluster Sales

80Maxwell08

Jul 14, 2010
tehweave said:

Final Fantasy 13-2 came out?

I heard no such information until now.
It came out in Japan. I don't think it comes out everywhere else until I think late January/early February.

Et3rnalLegend64

Jan 9, 2009
Shark Wrangler said:
Always funny how gamers take stuff like a bad game in the series so damn personally. Like to play this game because it sounds like they fixed the problems. Big let down with Final Fantasy 13, but I don't want them to stop making it. Every company makes god awful choices and they are not immune to it. Really funny how gamers think that every game that comes out has to be tailored for them or it sucks. Thats a high horse I would gladly kick you down from if I could.
Dear lord this. I'll assume Square got the message that the formula for XIII had to change and it sounds like they really tried to change it, yet we get all these comments saying that the entire series should die in a fire just because the first game wasn't to their liking (and no amount of fixes will change their minds).

While I really don't think they should keep up with the plan of yearly releases (same for Assassin's Creed, much as I love those games), I don't have so much undiluted hatred for Square as so many others seem to. I enjoyed FF12 (haven't played 13). While the story was not as grand as others have been, I enjoyed the characters and the battle system (Vaan and Penelo still have almost no importance in the grand scheme of things though).
My brother played 13 and admits that the battle system and general gameplay were flawed, but he liked the characters and story enough to say that he would gladly buy the sequel. The only things stopping him is our backlist of RPG's (Tales of Vesperia and all of Shin Megami Tensei) and general lack of cash.

People have to chill, seriously.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
The MMO and forced teaming killed my interest before I even saw it on the shelves. I don't mind teaming or MMO's for that matter, but if its an MMO that requires teaming then I am out. Go back to the single player offline games that were actually worth playing.

Mister K

This is our story.
Apr 25, 2011
And what else could you expect?
After FF XIII lowered the level of the series to "mediocre JRPG", making a direct sequel is kind of suicidal for SE.

Ipsen

Jul 8, 2008
Baresark said:
And the days where you look forward to a "cool" cutscene are behind us.
Truest words I've heard all day.

If I recall correctly (heavy doubt), marketing, or reviews for Final Fantasy games used to often have a qualifier of 'amazing (CGI) cutscenes', or something to that effect. They were (a bit) cool, back in PS1 era, but if Square-enix is going to buy into this idea like it's novel or it even helps their stories (doesn't), I'll be even more fed up than I already am.

I still hold, however, that XIII battle system was kinda fun. Kind of.

Mister K

This is our story.
Apr 25, 2011
Baresark said:
The cast of characters was annoyingly mediocre and uninteresting.
I agree with everything but this.
Sazh was (is) great.
I'm finished.

Quellist

Migratory coconut
Oct 7, 2010
So much hate...

I loved XIII, for a change it was nice to play an FF that didn't require endless sidequests to get anything like competitive gear or the proper ending (Fuck you FF X-2 fuck you!). I've already preordered the collectors edition and wont be changing my mind anytime soon, though the cynic in me sort of hopes lackluster performance might lead to a price cut on western shores.

As for the yearly release schedule? screw that, anything that puts them off such a ridiculous model is a good thing IMO.

teqrevisited

Mar 17, 2010
Rock-bottom can't be far away. The series has been declining ever since the merger and release of X-2. X Arguably heralded the start for removing the world map, though.

I wish I could say I looked forward to new SE games, but I would much rather they stopped making them. At least in this series so that it doesn't drag the Squaresoft era titles down with them.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Ipsen said:
Baresark said:
And the days where you look forward to a "cool" cutscene are behind us.
Truest words I've heard all day.

If I recall correctly (heavy doubt), marketing, or reviews for Final Fantasy games used to often have a qualifier of 'amazing (CGI) cutscenes', or something to that effect. They were (a bit) cool, back in PS1 era, but if Square-enix is going to buy into this idea like it's novel or it even helps their stories (doesn't), I'll be even more fed up than I already am.

I still hold, however, that XIII battle system was kinda fun. Kind of.
I hear ya. It's not like it's bad to have the occasional cutscene, but to make one every 5 minutes is just stupid.

VMK said:
Baresark said:
The cast of characters was annoyingly mediocre and uninteresting.
I agree with everything but this.
Sazh was (is) great.
I'm finished.
You're right. Sazh stands out as one of the few interesting characters, it's been a while since I played the game. So much more interesting, if they completely did away with Lightning and had him stand in as the main character. This whole androgynous thing they do with the main character of games is turning horrible. I loved FFXII but Vaan, as a main character, was incredibly weak and was surrounded by much more interesting characters. Thank god they were around. Someone needs to tell them that it's ok to pick a specific gender for their main characters and then build a character model with those gender traits. And I don't mean the characters do not have a specific gender, but they are designed as such that they have physical features of both genders. Vaan, a male character, had much more female traits. Lightning, a female character, carries herself like a man and is a typical aggressive male. The same could be said for Fang. Then you have the character Hope with female physical features (the only male distinguishing feature is his hair). Then you are treated to the opposite. Vanille and Serah were extremely female, to the point they needed a male-ish character to help and protect them.

Sorry, I'm ranting, but you see my point. They are simply building characters these days that do not fit distinctly into a single physical or emotional gender. And it drives me nuts because it leads to poor story telling and characterization. Though the settings tend to always be interesting. Zazh is the only interesting character because his story with his son is compelling and emotionally driven. You can literally feel his pain. And I can only think this has to do with his definitive characterization as a male father figure. Such strict characterization that is denied in their other characters. And, I'm done. Sorry. :p

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Raiyan 1.0 said:
Arkley said:
It's just disgusting, frankly. They threw the Final Fantasy VII franchise at us, but as widely disliked as that game is now, it was once considered one of the best.

FF7 is disliked? News to me.
I can see what he is saying, though I don't completely agree. I don't know if he intended "disliked" (though maybe he did, I'm not a mind reader). It doesn't rank among my favorite RPG's, or even my favorite Final Fantasy titles.

Though, with his post in it's entirety, he is clearly mad about perpetuating games as a franchise despite it not being that popular. I wish they would do other games besides FFXIII as a franchise deal. For instance, even having gone all over the world in FFXII, I feel that world is largely unexplored, unlike FFXIII's world. But, that is only my opinion.

It's easy to see why they want to make a franchise. It saves them the time of making a whole new game with whole new characters from square one and whole new world. They can even re-use the same graphic engine that way, same textures, same voice actors, same writers (due to character familiarity) with no need to make a drastic leap into the future. And, I do remember them saying they wanted to start generating a new game every 2-3 years instead of 5 years, in regards to the FF line of games.

AnteGravity

May 9, 2008
believer258 said:
Guess this means it's time to start working on that FF7 remake and hopefully restore faith in your fanbase.
Fans: "We saw your redone opening cinematic for FF7 years ago and it looked great! We would really like a FF7 remake instead of all these weird half-ass movies."

Square: "Um, here, have a horrible squeal to our midly popular MMO, a sequal to our terrible latest installment of the franchise, and some cash grabs."

Fans: "Uh, thats great and all, but how about a FF7 remake?"

Square: "No, also, we won't be localizing these highly anticipated titles into English either."

Fans: "...Do you hate money?"

Square: *Sounds of paper shredders overheating from shoving their own money into them 24/7*

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
Still buying it when it comes out. Im not one to rubbish off a game based on prequels and internet cred/innuendo.

If I did that, then id have missed out on Assassins Creed 2, Oblivion, Half Life 2, Saints Row 2 and a whole plethora of other games.

That, plus the hate bandwagon of internet coolness seens to be full.

babinro

Sep 24, 2010
Considering all the hate for the Final Fantasy series since at least FFX, I'm not surprised to see sales drop.

Personally I plan to buy this game at some point in 2012 since I loved the direction they took with FF XIII.

Riku'sTwilight

Dec 21, 2009
LIke the article says, it's still got Europe and America to be released in. I can imagine that overall it'll sell about 3 million copies easily. Hardly a bad feat

LordXel

Sep 25, 2010
What did you expect?

1. The series recently went down the shitter.
2. No one was really paying attention to its release, and this is Japan we're talking about.
3. Skyrim came out in Japan a few days earlier, they're properly too busy with Skyrim or Zelda to give a shit about another Final Fantasy.
4. Its Christmas, everybody is out of money.
5. I saw a post on The Escapist saying that Japanese gamers hated Final Fantasy XIV and would have preferred to play Fallout New Vegas.
6. People are still bitching about Kingdom Hearts 3 never happening.
7. A lot of people would rather see something fresh, orignial and breathtaking, like The Last Guardian maybe, when it comes out.

Thats seven reasons as to why people are tired of Final Fantasy. Hey Sqaure, slow down ok. No one wants to see a franchise thats more milked than Call of Duty. I say you construct something that will capture the hearts and souls of everybody and makes them forget about crap like Final Fantasy 14 or Final Fantasy 7 Advent Children. I doubt that will happen but eh, I've rambled enough.

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
I won't buy it until I people have played it and they can tell me what's its like. I was very bitter about having spent the money on the last one.

I don't want the devs to fail but it's good that they are on the receiving end of their mistakes. Maybe it will get through to them that final fantasy fans don't want to play a shiny movie that doesn't make any sense and involves horrible characters.