Final Fantasy XIII Demo is Enormous

Michael Grimm

Feb 23, 2009
Final Fantasy XIII Demo is Enormous

A recent tech analysis of Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children Complete and the accompanying demo of Final Fantasy XIII, has revealed that the trial demo alone weighs in at an astounding 5.09 GB

The analysis, which came from a Japanese blog, found that the bulk of the data was a result of two video files in the demo. An article detailing the blog: "Further analysis of the files in the demo show that there are two big movie files, one of which is 2.04GB (z016_ps3.wmp), and the second is 2.37GB (z000_ps3.wmp). This means that 4.41GB of the demo is just video."

This is troubling news for Xbox 360 owners as the demo is only an hour long, sure to create storage issues with the final game. Wikipedia says that the absolute maximum capacity for a double-sided, double-layer (meaning the disc would have to be flipped)DVD is approximately 17 GBs of information, as opposed to 50GB for a double layer Blu-ray disc. This obviously means that there will be a graphical discrepancy in the PS3 and 360 versions of the game unless the 360 ships with substantially more discs than ever seen before.

The enormous size also severely cripples the chances of the demo, in its current form at least, from finding its way to Xbox Live or PSN. Video compression could be a possible answer to trimming some of the size for the purposes of getting a demo out, though if such measures are taken with the 360 retail version, the internet is likely to collapse from the simultaneous gloating of PS3 fanboys worldwide.

Source: <a href="http://www.ps3news.com/PS3-HDD/confirmed-final-fantasy-xiii-demo-consumes-5-09gb-of-space/"
target="_blank">www.PS3News.com (Via N4G)

sneakypenguin

Elite Member
Legacy
Jul 31, 2008
Country
usa
Good grief, why the heck are video file sizes so much larger on video game cinematics? That just seems crazy to me.(compared to regular HD full length movies.)

Zephyr892

Mar 15, 2009
Most likely it has the intro cinematic which always is a long time in an FF and another one that may not even be game related (Story wise, it could be like an extended trailer placed after you go as far as you can in the demo sort of thing that shows snippits of the game etc)

Either way... It kinda looks like the 360 is getting a bit of a shaft on this game... However...

"Begun, The continuation of the Flame Wars have..."

sunami88

Jun 23, 2008
So... who's gonna be the first to unlock all the extra debug content?

The race... is ON!

Baltist

Apr 15, 2009
actually looking forward to this and FF XIII versus. i don't think it should be on 360 though, just doesn't feel right having an FF game on it. also like the guy above me has stated, it better be worth the delay just because your greedy microsoft.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Indigo_Dingo said:
I will donate to a fund if The Escapist will force Yahtzee to play this game
He might be based in Australia, but we're in the US, and the Constitution prohibits cruel and unusual punishment.

:p

Simriel

The Count of Monte Cristo
Dec 22, 2008
AM I the only one who is gonna point out that those cut scenes take up more data than a FUCKING STANDARD DEFINITION MOVIE! I mean honestly, the amount of data in the actual gameplay is akin to a 20 minute demo off of PSN or XBL. So... if we just go by how the data is looking, it seems like its gonna be 20 minutes of gameplay, and 40 minutes of cutscene. Hardly a fair demo of the game.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
Honestly I wouldn't mind having 2 or 3 discs. Have you damn kiddies forgot the age of ps2 when a good JRPG would come in this huge doorstop size jewelcase and have sockets for FOUR discs?

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
sneakypenguin said:
Good grief, why the heck are video file sizes so much larger on video game cinematics? That just seems crazy to me.(compared to regular HD full length movies.)
* 12 hours into cutscene one* "Half way there!"

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
CantFaketheFunk said:
Indigo_Dingo said:
I will donate to a fund if The Escapist will force Yahtzee to play this game
He might be based in Australia, but we're in the US, and the Constitution prohibits cruel and unusual punishment.

:p
*zing!* ;)

D_987

Jun 15, 2008
Onmi said:
TsunamiWombat said:
Honestly I wouldn't mind having 2 or 3 discs. Have you damn kiddies forgot the age of ps2 when a good JRPG would come in this huge doorstop size jewelcase and have sockets for FOUR discs?
think you mean PS1
Lost Odyssey (released for the 360) had 4 disks.

D_987

Jun 15, 2008
Onmi said:
D_987 said:
Onmi said:
TsunamiWombat said:
think you mean PS1
Lost Odyssey (released for the 360) had 4 disks.
yes, the 360 seems testament to having multiple disks. Call me when the PS3 requires multiple Blu-Ray. (again as a restatement before anyone fanboys my ass, I own all three)
I really don't see the huge deal with it, having to change disks every 15 hours in Lost Odyssey was never an issue...I'm actually looking Foreward to this game and would buy it even if it came with 8 disks!