Final Fantasy XIII Is the Fastest-Selling Final Fantasy

UltimatheChosen

Mar 6, 2009
Amnestic said:
Vanille might be extremely annoying, but once you level her as a Saboteur she becomes invaluable because of her Death spell. Makes killing some of the tougher enemies (Neochu is a notable one, as that gives you the CP*2 Accessory) a matter of RNG rather than having to spend a long time grinding out the stats necessary to win 'properly'

Also, when she Gestalt Overdrives her Eidolon, it sounds like she's orgasming, which is endearing in a kinky sort of way :p
I'm not that far yet, but so far, her accent and personality have combined to feed a burning hatred that would terrify you if it were to be unleashed upon this unsuspecting world.

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
There's a novel idea. The next game in a series, selling more than the previous one! That's never happened! /sarcasm

But seriously. The next FF will do exactly the same thing, and sell even faster.

Delock

Mar 4, 2009
s69-5 said:
Daedalus1942 said:
SUPA FRANKY said:
In my opinion, it deserves all the sales it has gotten. Final Fantasy has renewed my love for the series after the shit buns that FF11 and FF12 were. So... Victory Theme I guess!
It's pretty damn good, though I do have probably three complaints. I'm only in Chapter 4 atm, so it might not be valid later but in any case, It's extremely linear, I can't earn any money to buy things, and... I'm not a fan of the whole being completely healed after a battle. It doesn't really make much sense, it makes the battles too easy and the game is pretty much holding my hand the whole time.
[spoiler\]The only time I struggled was with the Fang's Eidolon Gestalt gauge, because I'm crap with the timing.[/spoiler]
You're still in the tutorial. Give it time...

Chapter 9 Boss: Bathandalus... Also, Vanille's Eidolon gave me a headache
You too, huh? Both those bosses were a pain...
At least I can say that this game respects me, unlike XII. It was your evil twin that did it? YOUR EVIL TWIN?! No, I'm not even going to put that in spoilers because it is so damn stupid! I mean, a plot twist from old TV shows?! GAH!

FFXIII got exceptionally good around Oerba. I don't know why but it was around this time that I actually started to lose sleep over this game. Also the l'Cie rules really get you paranoid about that mark.

I know I'm going to get in trouble with the FF fans for this, but I liked this game more than VII or VIII. I actually want have a drive to finish (the other two I would get so far only to get stuck on a boss for a short time before taking a week long break only to not remember where I was in the game and end up restarting, wasting hours of time). It hasn't blown me away as much as IX or X, but those hold a special place in my heart of JRPGs alongside Legend of the Dragoon and Xenosaga. However, Final Fantasy XIII did earn a different, less special but still more special than others, place in there. Definitely worth the $60 price.

Illusive DiZ

Oct 27, 2009
SUPA FRANKY said:
In my opinion, it deserves all the sales it has gotten. Final Fantasy has renewed my love for the series after the shit buns that FF11 and FF12 were. So... Victory Theme I guess!
I agree with you on that. I never bothered to buy FF11 and FF12 just felt like it needed a recall in my opinion. FF13 actually took a good step back and revamped some of the series mechanics in a good way.

Enigmers

Dec 14, 2008
I didn't get stuck at Barthandelus, though I found that fight pretty fun.

One thing that disappoints me here is the lack of Nobuo's awesome music.

kurupt87

Fuhuhzucking hellcocks I'm good
Mar 17, 2010
As a series FF player, I really can't recommend this game.
There are four, and only four, good things I can say about the game.
1. the graphics, they are eye-poppingly impressive, best I have ever seen
2. specific parts of the battle system, namely: the paradigm shifting and the chain/stagger bar
3. the way battles are started, the whole mechanic, is good
4. sazh
Everything else was mediocre to bad.
An random example picked from the rather extensive pile would be, hmm, characters. 6 party members. The rest of the world, the huge scale of it which is impressive in a way the graphics really show off, is populated by 12 other characters, most of whom are just faces with a name, and you don't meet most of them. (might be 1 or 2 more, but it took me 15 mins to think of all these, and I really pushed myself)

If you've never played FF before then it's not so bad, you don't know what you're missing.

Joshimodo

Sep 13, 2008
Daedalus1942 said:
Joshimodo said:
Surprising, since this is one of the worst Final Fantasy games, on par with X-2.
If you say so... Every single game has changed the battle system. I have to say this works quite well. It's most similar imo to FFVIII in executing moves and Limit breaks as well as summons.
I have to say it has way too many similarities with FFVII though, with the characters, the setting and the story, but apart from that, it's a pretty solid game.
I thought I'd miss being able to control my other party members, but as it happens you feel as though you're controlling them anyway. It also streamlines being able to inflict multiple status effects on bosses and enemies, without you having to do them individually. I'm curious as to what your complaints are. My main gripe is being healed after every single battle.
Staggering and paradigms are the ONLY good parts of the battle system. The TP is messy and senseless, controlling only one character is incredibly restrictive, potions heal entire parties, health instantly regenerates after battles, etc etc.

The graphics are average, the script & voice acting is mediocre, the progression of the story and it's pacing is pretty bad. I'm disappointed - Lost Odyssey was a better Final Fantasy than this is.

GloatingSwine

Nov 10, 2007
Amnestic said:
UltimatheChosen said:
Yeah, I've been enjoying it a lot, too. Granted, it's not perfect (Vanille is extremely annoying), but the rest of the cast is fairly likeable (or, in the case, possibly on the way to becoming likeable).
Vanille might be extremely annoying, but once you level her as a Saboteur she becomes invaluable because of her Death spell. Makes killing some of the tougher enemies (Neochu is a notable one, as that gives you the CP*2 Accessory) a matter of RNG rather than having to spend a long time grinding out the stats necessary to win 'properly'

Also, when she Gestalt Overdrives her Eidolon, it sounds like she's orgasming, which is endearing in a kinky sort of way :p
And there's the small matter of what you can do to the last boss with a simple Poison spell. Oh, I'm sorry, did you have a health bar there?

traceur_

Feb 19, 2009
Got the Collector's Edition, first day, it's fucking awesome.

I haven't finished it yet, but I reckon it might even beat Final Fantasy 10 for the crown of Greatest Game of All Time.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
GloatingSwine said:
Amnestic said:
UltimatheChosen said:
Yeah, I've been enjoying it a lot, too. Granted, it's not perfect (Vanille is extremely annoying), but the rest of the cast is fairly likeable (or, in the case, possibly on the way to becoming likeable).

And there's the small matter of what you can do to the last boss with a simple Poison spell. Oh, I'm sorry, did you have a health bar there?
Second to last boss or very last boss? Honestly the very last boss didn't exist for long enough. I went in, stagger'd and then it died. I was a little bit surprised.

But yeah, poison annihilates second-to-last, when he's not using his fucking instant-death-lol-you-lose attack on my leader :mad:

Firia

Sep 17, 2007
I'll buy it... eventually. I don't like the linearity that FF10 brought to the franchise, and that FF13 seems to follow. Yes, all FF's were linear to some degree, but in FF10 (and I imagine to some degree, FF13) there was litterly only ever one path to follow. It really turned me off. In FF12, some paths forked, ending in the same place, and that helped a little. It's just not the same for me.

So much so that it's not worth the 60 dollars it's pegged at on release day. I'll wait until it cheapens up a bit.

kurupt87

Fuhuhzucking hellcocks I'm good
Mar 17, 2010
Firia said:
I'll buy it... eventually. I don't like the linearity that FF10 brought to the franchise, and that FF13 seems to follow. Yes, all FF's were linear to some degree, but in FF10 (and I imagine to some degree, FF13) there was litterly only ever one path to follow. It really turned me off. In FF12, some paths forked, ending in the same place, and that helped a little. It's just not the same for me.

So much so that it's not worth the 60 dollars it's pegged at on release day. I'll wait until it cheapens up a bit.
FFXIII makes X feel sandbox in comparison. Both opened up end game, but again, X alot more so than XIII.
The only game I can compare XIII's linearity (ch.1-9) to is the House Of The Dead series. Seriously.

Daedalus1942

Jun 26, 2009
Joshimodo said:
Daedalus1942 said:
Joshimodo said:
Surprising, since this is one of the worst Final Fantasy games, on par with X-2.
If you say so... Every single game has changed the battle system. I have to say this works quite well. It's most similar imo to FFVIII in executing moves and Limit breaks as well as summons.
I have to say it has way too many similarities with FFVII though, with the characters, the setting and the story, but apart from that, it's a pretty solid game.
I thought I'd miss being able to control my other party members, but as it happens you feel as though you're controlling them anyway. It also streamlines being able to inflict multiple status effects on bosses and enemies, without you having to do them individually. I'm curious as to what your complaints are. My main gripe is being healed after every single battle.
Staggering and paradigms are the ONLY good parts of the battle system. The TP is messy and senseless, controlling only one character is incredibly restrictive, potions heal entire parties, health instantly regenerates after battles, etc etc.

The graphics are average, the script & voice acting is mediocre, the progression of the story and it's pacing is pretty bad. I'm disappointed - Lost Odyssey was a better Final Fantasy than this is.
What in the hell? Have you got a standard definition Tv? Because, FFXIII's are easily the best graphics I have ever seen on the PS3.
All other games, no developer bothers making use of the AA capabilities of the Hardware, Squenix finally used AA in game and it looks gorgeous. Barely any jagged edges, the detail on the face is amazing, they almost don't look like JRPG characters except for the hair and clothes!
All your other points, I can understand where you're coming from and they're valid enough, but the graphics are absolutely stunning. What the hell?

Daedalus1942

Jun 26, 2009
kurupt87 said:
Firia said:

FFXIII makes X feel sandbox in comparison. Both opened up end game, but again, X alot more so than XIII.
The only game I can compare XIII's linearity (ch.1-9) to is the House Of The Dead series. Seriously.
I would have actually compared it to Dead Space's linearity more. They're more similar in that towards the end of the game, some places are unlocked and you can go back to previous areas, but until a certain time you're locked in where the developers want you to go.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Joshimodo said:
The TP, single control, full heal potions and full heal post battles were some of the best parts, bro.

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
Hmm... what a revelation.
Fastest selling Final Fantasy in the series. That is to be expected for two main reasons:

1. There are more gamers than ever out there.
2. First time it is multiplatform.

ffxfriek

Apr 3, 2008
My older bro borrowed my ps3 so he could play FFXIII so in another month ill be playing when he brings it back. must avoid spoilers

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Dosnt surprise me.

The amount they have hyped it up, and how much effort they have put into it.

Ive played i myself, and, reached the end.I agree, its definetly solid throughout

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
John Funk said:
Joshimodo said:
The TP, single control, full heal potions and full heal post battles were some of the best parts, bro.
I have to admit, I was skeptical of how well those systems would work, but after getting into the post game it actually flows exceedingly well. The only issue I have with single control is that there's no manual movement. If you're all clustered together (by complete chance) you can take up to three times as much damage from an attack as you might otherwise take with no paradigm choices or skill choices involved.

Grandia had a semi-similar setup of how you were put around the battle area, but it also came with a "Move" command which you could use to manually get your character to a few pre-selected points. It's hardly a big issue, and entirely irrelevant on some bosses, but it can lose you some fights if you get unlucky. It's particularly annoying on some Eidolon fights when getting staggered by their attacks (Hecaton for example) can seriously put a crimp in your doom timer.

Also, I've had Lightning backflip onto those targetting beacons. Doh :(