Final Fantasy XIII Is the Fastest-Selling Final Fantasy

Daedalus1942

Jun 26, 2009
s69-5 said:
urgh76 said:
not for final fantasy XIII fanboys

in my opinion, the earlier ones were much better, they got eveyone hooked and consequently more people are prone to impulse buying.

Whats the actual feedback from those buyers?
You mean from those of us who have owned/ played every FF game? I enjoy FFXIII a lot. It added something that was missing from every other FF game (except maybe XI)-- DIFFICULTY
That's because in those games (if you're like me) you'd grind in a specific place without realizing you're above the recommended level to beat a boss or specific monsters and just breeze through, whereas XIII puts a cap on the amount of crystarium points you can use in a specific part. Atm I'm in chapter 4, have all Crystarium levels maxed (for the time being) and I still have some trouble in battles that I don't get a preemptive strike in unless I use two healers in my party.
-edit-Also, X was VERY difficult, if you pursued the Dark Aeons and Penance.

Daedalus1942

Jun 26, 2009
s69-5 said:
Daedalus1942 said:
s69-5 said:
Daedalus1942 said:
SUPA FRANKY said:
In my opinion, it deserves all the sales it has gotten. Final Fantasy has renewed my love for the series after the shit buns that FF11 and FF12 were. So... Victory Theme I guess!
It's pretty damn good, though I do have probably three complaints. I'm only in Chapter 4 atm, so it might not be valid later but in any case, It's extremely linear, I can't earn any money to buy things, and... I'm not a fan of the whole being completely healed after a battle. It doesn't really make much sense, it makes the battles too easy and the game is pretty much holding my hand the whole time.
[spoiler\]The only time I struggled was with the Fang's Eidolon Gestalt gauge, because I'm crap with the timing.[/spoiler]
You're still in the tutorial. Give it time...

Chapter 9 Boss: Bathandalus... Also, Vanille's Eidolon gave me a headache
It's chapter freaking 4. I can upgrade my weapons now, the only thing I don't have is Eidolons. It's still the tutorial? The game only has like 12 or 13 chapters!
I'm a third of the way there.
"1/3" in numbers only. The chapters are not created equal...
But the Chapter 6 boss should be your first real threat. I had no trouble at all until then. I beat it in one go, but it took 25 minutes... The boss mentioned in the spoiler is where the game decided to hand me my ass three times. Something no FF non-superboss has done since the Magus Sisters in FFIV on the SNES. For the record, until the end of Chapter 9, my equipped weapons were only level 2.
Tha magus sisters in that castle thingy, just before the demon boss (Cagnazzo or something like that). Yeah, they were freaking hard. Had to take out the healer first (Cindy, Sandy?).
I might have an easier time in Ch 6 and 9 as all my weapons are already level 5, and will most likely be at least 8 by then. ^^

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Daedalus1942 said:
Amnestic said:
Daedalus1942 said:
SUPA FRANKY said:
In my opinion, it deserves all the sales it has gotten. Final Fantasy has renewed my love for the series after the shit buns that FF11 and FF12 were. So... Victory Theme I guess!
It's pretty damn good, though I do have probably three complaints. I'm only in Chapter 4 atm, so it might not be valid later but in any case, It's extremely linear, I can't earn any money to buy things, and... I'm not a fan of the whole being completely healed after a battle. It doesn't really make much sense, it makes the battles too easy and the game is pretty much holding my hand the whole time.
[spoiler\]The only time I struggled was with the Fang's Eidolon Gestalt gauge, because I'm crap with the timing.[/spoiler]
Fang's Eidolon doesn't pop up until like Chapter 10. I think at that point (that is, Chapter 4) you've only got Shiva and Odin - Snow and Lightning's Eidolons, respectively.
[spoiler\]It was against the shiva sisters.[/spoiler] I thought Fang was Snow's Import name? I might be wrong.
Fang is the lovely lady who went and picked up Snow just after he beat down the Shiva sisters. Snow is Blonde Gambit.

Daedalus1942

Jun 26, 2009
s69-5 said:
Daedalus1942 said:
s69-5 said:
urgh76 said:
not for final fantasy XIII fanboys

in my opinion, the earlier ones were much better, they got eveyone hooked and consequently more people are prone to impulse buying.

Whats the actual feedback from those buyers?
You mean from those of us who have owned/ played every FF game? I enjoy FFXIII a lot. It added something that was missing from every other FF game (except maybe XI)-- DIFFICULTY
That's because in those games (if you're like me) you'd grind in a specific place without realizing you're above the recommended level to beat a boss or specific monsters and just breeze through, whereas XIII puts a cap on the amount of crystarium points you can use in a specific part. Atm I'm in chapter 4, have all Crystarium levels maxed (for the time being) and I still have some trouble in battles that I don't get a preemptive strike in unless I use two healers in my party.
-edit-Also, X was VERY difficult, if you pursued the Dark Aeons and Penance.
Nah dude, in my youthful zeal, I used to plow through as fast as possible on my first playthrough. I went for record times... it also ensured that my level was proper. On subsequent playthroughs is were I'd level break the game.

Edit: In NA, we didn't get the Dark Aeons :(
That might have made FFX not the easiest game in the whole series... cause without them FFX is WAY too easy... Quick Hit, Quick Hit, Quick Hit, Quick Hit FTW... sigh...
Oh you got the version without the Aeons. Yeah, trust me they were hard. I didn't even bother killing Penance, just farmed his arms for dark matter and ran te feck away :D.

Daedalus1942

Jun 26, 2009
Amnestic said:
Daedalus1942 said:
Amnestic said:
Daedalus1942 said:
SUPA FRANKY said:
Fang's Eidolon doesn't pop up until like Chapter 10. I think at that point (that is, Chapter 4) you've only got Shiva and Odin - Snow and Lightning's Eidolons, respectively.
[spoiler\]It was against the shiva sisters.[/spoiler] I thought Fang was Snow's Import name? I might be wrong.
Fang is the lovely lady who went and picked up Snow just after he beat down the Shiva sisters. Snow is Blonde Gambit.
[spoiler\]Ah, ok, I wondered who that Eden l'Cie was. I figured she became a party member later.[/spoiler] So that means I was right then? I was fighting against Fang's Eidolon, not Snow's. I'm assuming (probably wrong, but it seems to fit) that Snow gets Ifrit.

Crunchy English

Victim of a Savage Neck-bearding
Aug 20, 2008
It sucks pretty bad, but Final Fantasy is too big a deal to not sell a few units. That's a shame too, because as legendary and exemplary as some of the games in this series are, I really wish they'd pack it in. They haven't made a decent game since... oh I dunno. I liked 10 actually, but it wasn't first class. Even 7, despite its unwarranted fanatic fans was a great game.

Ok I guess they made a few decent games in more recent years, but the series as been in decline since the 90's.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Daedalus1942 said:
Amnestic said:
Daedalus1942 said:
Amnestic said:
Daedalus1942 said:
SUPA FRANKY said:
[spoiler\]Ah, ok, I wondered who that Eden l'Cie was. I figured she became a party member later.[/spoiler] So that means I was right then? I was fighting against Fang's Eidolon, not Snow's. I'm assuming (probably wrong, but it seems to fit) that Snow gets Ifrit.
She's...well, you'll see. Shiva is Snow's Eidolon though. Fang's is Bahamut. Ifrit doesn't actually get used by a character. The 'flame summon' role being taken over by Brynhildr (probably spelt that wrong), used by Sazh.

Zenn3k

Feb 2, 2009
Daedalus1942 said:
SUPA FRANKY said:
I can only tell you what I've told others who have said the same thing.

It gets better.

The game does have the primary problem of being too boring, for too long, and most people aren't patient enough to give it an honest try. If you're still playing, awesome, because by about Chapter 7 or so, things start becoming a lot more interesting (snow stops being a whiny brat for starters). I'm deep in Chapter 12 (of I believe 13).

The combat system is less about selecting your ability (although being able to do that does come in handy sometimes), but more about using the right Paradigms at the right times to stay alive, do the right kinda damage and status effect maintenance, it'll become second nature. There are some fights I simply cannot win (yet) and all of them are optional, yes, meaning you have to go FIND them. There are some critters who are not only MASSIVE in size, but also very tough, requiring a bit more thought than (Press A) until dead. Being healed after every battle is certainly different, but it does cut down nicely on the actions of; Go to menu, heal heal heal, exit menu, continue; after every fight, which in my opinion is welcome.

Money becomes available at about Chap 11 (when the game opens up and says; "do what you want", and honestly you don't need it until then.

FFXIII is easily one of my favorite RPGs EVER and easily the best JRPG I've played in years.

Daedalus1942

Jun 26, 2009
Zenn3k said:
Daedalus1942 said:
SUPA FRANKY said:
I can only tell you what I've told others who have said the same thing.

It gets better.

The game does have the primary problem of being too boring, for too long, and most people aren't patient enough to give it an honest try. If you're still playing, awesome, because by about Chapter 7 or so, things start becoming a lot more interesting (snow stops being a whiny brat for starters). I'm deep in Chapter 12 (of I believe 13).

The combat system is less about selecting your ability (although being able to do that does come in handy sometimes), but more about using the right Paradigms at the right times to stay alive, do the right kinda damage and status effect maintenance, it'll become second nature. There are some fights I simply cannot win (yet) and all of them are optional, yes, meaning you have to go FIND them. There are some critters who are not only MASSIVE in size, but also very tough, requiring a bit more thought than (Press A) until dead. Being healed after every battle is certainly different, but it does cut down nicely on the actions of; Go to menu, heal heal heal, exit menu, continue; after every fight, which in my opinion is welcome.

Money becomes available at about Chap 11 (when the game opens up and says; "do what you want", and honestly you don't need it until then.

FFXIII is easily one of my favorite RPGs EVER and easily the best JRPG I've played in years.
I'm still playing it, and enjoying it. Literally those 3 things were the only gripes I've had. I kind of miss grinding the proper way, but you can still sort of grind, if you know where to go.
I just wish I had more cash. The fact that you can't directly control other party members hasn't bothered me, and I quite like the new stagger gauge as well as the update to the ATB.
It's just a shame it's so linear and impossible really to miss treasure chests. My gripe I guess is it doesn't really let you explore all that much and there's game barriers everywhere.
Literally I'll walk up to an arch I should be able to walk between and the game won't let me... kind of kills the immersion in some spots.
Still, GOTY imo. Much better than what Bioware tried to pass off as a sequel to Mass Effect.

Sneaky Paladin

Jan 21, 2009
Hmm I wonder why anyway I bet they won't make the next one for 360 seeing as how THAT contributed nothing to this at all./sarcasm

Enigmers

Dec 14, 2008
It's got a very fun combat system and the story is interesting enough to keep me going (the idea of the characters being basically ticking time bombs in a very grim situation is done well, in my opinion).
The combat, for me, feels tough until you figure out the correct set of paradigms to use at exactly the right time, it doesn't feel like there's very much leeway in how you have to fight - and many battles are impossible to beat (without waiting for the next full moon) unless you stagger your enemies.

I hope you don't consider anything I said a spoiler, because if you do you might not want to eat alpha-bits (after all, every time you eat alpha-bits you're reading the acronym to a spoiler, oh noes)

Daedalus1942

Jun 26, 2009
Joshimodo said:
Surprising, since this is one of the worst Final Fantasy games, on par with X-2.
If you say so... Every single game has changed the battle system. I have to say this works quite well. It's most similar imo to FFVIII in executing moves and Limit breaks as well as summons.
I have to say it has way too many similarities with FFVII though, with the characters, the setting and the story, but apart from that, it's a pretty solid game.
I thought I'd miss being able to control my other party members, but as it happens you feel as though you're controlling them anyway. It also streamlines being able to inflict multiple status effects on bosses and enemies, without you having to do them individually. I'm curious as to what your complaints are. My main gripe is being healed after every single battle.

UltimatheChosen

Mar 6, 2009
Amnestic said:
UltimatheChosen said:
And how well is the 360 version selling? Well enough that SE will release FFXIII Versus on it? Maybe even so well that they'll stop making PS3 exclusives?

God, I hate exclusivity.
I read somewhere that worldwide sales were about 30%-70% 360-PS3, but I don't have a source on that, and I recall that Japan only got a PS3 version. So that could skew the sales numbers somewhat.
Well, that sounds appreciable enough that it might sway them. I can only hope.

Amnestic said:
I'm not surprised it sold well. It's a pretty damn good game.
Yeah, I've been enjoying it a lot, too. Granted, it's not perfect (Vanille is extremely annoying), but the rest of the cast is fairly likeable (or, in the case, possibly on the way to becoming likeable).

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
UltimatheChosen said:
Yeah, I've been enjoying it a lot, too. Granted, it's not perfect (Vanille is extremely annoying), but the rest of the cast is fairly likeable (or, in the case, possibly on the way to becoming likeable).
Vanille might be extremely annoying, but once you level her as a Saboteur she becomes invaluable because of her Death spell. Makes killing some of the tougher enemies (Neochu is a notable one, as that gives you the CP*2 Accessory) a matter of RNG rather than having to spend a long time grinding out the stats necessary to win 'properly'

Also, when she Gestalt Overdrives her Eidolon, it sounds like she's orgasming, which is endearing in a kinky sort of way :p