Final Fantasy XIII Sells 1.5M, Gets 35% Attach Rate

OmegaXIII

Jun 26, 2009
CantFaketheFunk said:
Mmm, greased Lightning...
Yup, my mind went there immediately too :p

Apparently FFXIII 360 preorders have at numerous points vastly outnumbered PS3 preorders. I found this a little odd because i expected most FF fans to have bought a PS3 specifically for FFXIII. Perhaps this is a signal of lots of new interest in the series.

I agree with Funk that the series hasn't shone since X, 12 looked nice but the combat was so broken that 13 has an awful lot of ground to make up - however from what i've seen Squenix have really pulled it off. Needless to say i'm gaga with excitement for this one.

GloatingSwine

Nov 10, 2007
Ninjamedic said:
The DSM said:
The Execs at square will be swimming in money.

On regards to the game, Im skeptical, its been in freefall since 10, but we will see.
If it repairs the combat from XII ill consider it.
See, everyone spunked over the combat in Dragon Age, despite the fact that it's just a slightly more restrictive Gambit system...

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
Greasy Lightning burger with extra Ketchup.

...Oh and yeah, figures, I'm not yet classified under the elite bunch of people who can afford second hand PsP games right now let alone this so... even if it launches for us soon I'll have to just wait. Saaaad.

Eldarion

Sep 30, 2009
CantFaketheFunk said:
The DSM said:

On regards to the game, Im skeptical, its been in freefall since 10, but we will see.
TBQH, 10 was my favorite of the series, hands down. 12 was a bit of a letdown, though.

I keep hearing this, why exactly was 12 a letdown?

Ninjamedic

Dec 8, 2009
GloatingSwine said:
Ninjamedic said:
The DSM said:

If it repairs the combat from XII ill consider it.
See, everyone spunked over the combat in Dragon Age, despite the fact that it's just a slightly more restrictive Gambit system...
It was the excessive amount of levelling up I had to do, turned it into a total grindfest, 5 FUCKING levels an area?

Worsle

Jul 4, 2008
Dark Templar said:
CantFaketheFunk said:
The DSM said:

TBQH, 10 was my favorite of the series, hands down. 12 was a bit of a letdown, though.

It was different and suffered from a split design team. Really the game is a lot better than it is normally given credit for. A flawed game but it tried a lot of novel ideas and a lot of fun at the time. It also had hands down the best Cid out of any FF.

Also freefall since 10? We have only had one proper addition since 10, so that is a bit of a stretch too.

Eldarion

Sep 30, 2009
Worsle said:
Dark Templar said:
CantFaketheFunk said:
The DSM said:

It was different and suffered from a split design team. Really the game is a lot better than it is normally given credit for. A flawed game but it tried a lot of novel ideas and a lot of fun at the time. It also had hands down the best Cid out of any FF.

Also freefall since 10? We have only had one proper addition since 10, so that is a bit of a stretch too.
Eh, I liked 12. Had allot of fun with it myself.

Darkwolf9

Aug 19, 2008
Ninjamedic said:
greased lightn- Oh I see the ff7 reference there!
If you actually didn't know, it was in reference to one of the female leads (pic shown above).

Taerdin

Nov 7, 2006
I can't justify spending any more money on final fantasy games. I just haven't been able to get through one since seven, and even then it was probably only because I was fairly new to rpgs and it was my first 3d one.

Also why is this the first "proper" one in 5 years? I don't understand what this means? Are some of the games less proper than others? I'm confused.

RandV80

Oct 1, 2009
Worsle said:

I agree, For a Final Fantasy release I was disappointed with the game, but I still played to the end and found it enjoyable. I didn't mind the combat so much, rather it was too much grind and side questing that the story and characterization felt a little thin. Honestly though my biggest gripe with that game was that damn mini map for killing immersion, being too big to ignore I always found my eyes glued to it to see where I was going and ignoring all the pretty scenery they spent tons of money developing.

And traditionally Square has released 3 Final Fantasy's for each console generation, so it was kind of disappointing last time around they got one proper one out then two experiments.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Taerdin said:
I can't justify spending any more money on final fantasy games. I just haven't been able to get through one since seven, and even then it was probably only because I was fairly new to rpgs and it was my first 3d one.

Also why is this the first "proper" one in 5 years? I don't understand what this means? Are some of the games less proper than others? I'm confused.
FF11 Expansions, mainly.

MDSnowman

Apr 8, 2004
CantFaketheFunk said:
The DSM said:

FFXII broke my heart. The game was not gripping me well enough to let me wrap my brain around the moronic combat system. I'll give XIII a chance, but it's unlikely I'll be buying it at launch.

But yeah Funk, I loved me some FFX. I dumped some 70 hours into that unlocking everything. (if I ever play Blitzball again it'll be too soon)

JaredXE

Apr 1, 2009
Holy Fuck.

Well, this IS the game series that causes banks and post offices to close whenever a new one is released. Well, that and Dragon Quest.

FloodOne

Apr 29, 2009
I loved the combat system in XII. It never felt like a grind to me. I probably spent 20% of my total playtime just tweaking and testing gambits.

The story was a big snooze though, which was disappointing. There was a lot of potential there.

The localization was pretty shoddy too. It's pronounced Mar-Kee not Mar-Quis. Idiots.

Plinglebob

Team Stupid-Face
Nov 11, 2008
My problem with 12 is the story was crap and the combat system boring. I once even managed to level up without even watching the screen the whole time.

Really not surprised by the FFXIII numbers. My only problem is whether I buy it on the XBOX 360 for all those disk swapping memories and achievement points, or PS3 where part of me thinks it should be played.

Vierran

None here.
Oct 11, 2009
Not surprised by the results, still waiting for my copy to arrive in the mail so i can play it myself though.