Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn Obtains PS4 Release Date

roseofbattle

News Room Contributor
Apr 18, 2011
Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn Obtains PS4 Release Date

Square Enix's MMORPG Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn also won a newly created award at this year's PlayStation Awards.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn will launch on the PS4 in April 2014, Square Enix revealed today at the PlayStation Awards. The MMORPG enters beta for the PS4 version on Feb. 22, the same day the PS4 launches in Japan.

A Realm Reborn also received the "Special Award" at the PlayStation Awards. The award was created this year to "recognize outstanding titles on the overall combination based on the following attributes: originality, buzz-worthiness, influence, and performance."

Players on the PS3 version can upgrade to the PS4 version and transfer character and save data for free. The PS3 version is on sale for $10 for PS Plus members as a part of the PlayStation Store Holiday Sale's first week [http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/12/02/ps-plus-grid-2-free-for-ps-plus-members/].

Producer and director Naoki Yoshida will show off the PS4 version of A Realm Reborn in a live broadcast called "Letter from the Producer LIVE" on Dec. 14 at 7 a.m. ET. The video will also include content from patch 2.1 update, which launches Dec. 17, and remote play using the Vita. The patch includes "The Wolves' Den," "Treasure Hunting," and "Daily Beast Tribe Quests." For information on the broadcast, where to watch it, and how to submit questions, visit the Lodestone. [http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/topics/detail/b6af5f5e126d507cde471cdca7d806f7a0a63d23]

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn launched worldwide on Aug. 27 for PS3 and Windows PC. The launch was shaky thanks to revised its financial predictions [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/127242-Final-Fantasy-XIV-Digital-Sales-Halt-Servers-Melting-Under-Strain] for the better thanks to the MMORPG.

Source: Joystiq [http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/topics/detail/fb6dd22ff07a3d28fdfb8323fe5d9a6ecda7a72c ]

Miyenne

May 16, 2013
I'm glad. The PS3 version is inferior to PC right now; people lag more and when there's loads of people on the screen for Odin or Behemoth and such, the enemies and all the people don't render. Although some computers aren't great either. My laptop can't load everything when it gets insane.

And maybe this way we'll get a few more people in our Company!

Church185

Apr 15, 2009
Miyenne said:
I'm glad. The PS3 version is inferior to PC right now; people lag more and when there's loads of people on the screen for Odin or Behemoth and such, the enemies and all the people don't render. Although some computers aren't great either. My laptop can't load everything when it gets insane.

I'll probably actually play more! Gotta love that free upgrade!

:D

Colt47

Oct 31, 2012
I'm still on hiatus until they get the content patch out. Nothing to do in the game after the story ends except World of Warcraft style gear grinding via tomes and small raids. Well, unless someone wants to fate grind up another job or dive into the craft system. Static world games like Final Fantasy XIV ARR pretty much depend on steady content to survive, unfortunately.

CrazyCapnMorgan

Is not insane, just crazy >:)
Jan 5, 2011
Miyenne said:

Being a PS3 user (and in the same guild as Miy), I cannot state how irritating it is when an open world event or FATE is happening and all you can see is random people appearing and disappearing. On the plus side to this, however, from what I understand the beta for the PS4 should only be a month long, meaning the live version of this will be released on mah birthday! YAY!

If any of you are interested in picking up the game and playing, we're on the Malboro server. You can also hit us up on our user group on The Escapist if you have any questions regarding the game: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/groups/view/Final-Fantasy-XIV-A-Realm-Reborn

Colt47 said:
I'm still on hiatus until they get the content patch out. Nothing to do in the game after the story ends except World of Warcraft style gear grinding via tomes and small raids. Well, unless someone wants to fate grind up another job or dive into the craft system. Static world games like Final Fantasy XIV ARR pretty much depend on steady content to survive, unfortunately.
And even then, if you're a fan of the old "good story driven" RPG, this game delivers. Maxing out the game's 8 crafting classes, 3 gathering classes and 17 jobs means you'll see a wide variety of stories, view points and action in the world of Eorzea. Yes, it is a grind, (I'd be crazy not to call it that) but it's one where SquareEnix shows there is still a hint of the SquareSoft that made the great Final Fantasies of old.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
CrazyCapnMorgan said:
Miyenne said:

Being a PS3 user (and in the same guild as Miy), I cannot state how irritating it is when an open world event or FATE is happening and all you can see is random people appearing and disappearing. On the plus side to this, however, from what I understand the beta for the PS4 should only be a month long, meaning the live version of this will be released on mah birthday! YAY!

If any of you are interested in picking up the game and playing, we're on the Malboro server. You can also hit us up on our user group on The Escapist if you have any questions regarding the game: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/groups/view/Final-Fantasy-XIV-A-Realm-Reborn

Colt47 said:
And even then, if you're a fan of the old "good story driven" RPG, this game delivers. Maxing out the game's 8 crafting classes, 3 gathering classes and 17 jobs means you'll see a wide variety of stories, view points and action in the world of Eorzea. Yes, it is a grind, (I'd be crazy not to call it that) but it's one where SquareEnix shows there is still a hint of the SquareSoft that made the great Final Fantasies of old.
Gotta be honest. The news that the game in on sale for $10 is very tempting. I got $10 for the PS Store with my PS4... And I can upgrade to the PS4 version for free? Oh, this is very tempting indeed. Damn you Square and Sony. You basically made the game free for me.

CrazyCapnMorgan

Is not insane, just crazy >:)
Jan 5, 2011
Saltyk said:
CrazyCapnMorgan said:
Miyenne said:

Colt47 said:
Gotta be honest. The news that the game in on sale for $10 is very tempting. I got $10 for the PS Store with my PS4... And I can upgrade to the PS4 version for free? Oh, this is very tempting indeed. Damn you Square and Sony. You basically made the game free for me.
Would you like to lose your gaming soul to a beautiful world and create your own character to your liking? We have regular humans, elves, cat people, midgets and giants. We also have chocobos (roughly 1/4 of the way into the main story line) that you can name. Name them anything you like. Or ride around on them and listen to some classic chocobo ridin' music:

Speaking of music, various kinds await, ranging from the good ol' boss battle themes to the remade Final Fantasy 2 regular enemy battle theme.

Welcome to Eorzea, where you will lose yourself to Final Fantasy nostalgia and Flare spells!

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
Ooooooooh tempting.

This would be my very first MMO, and $10 with a free upgrade to the PS4 is just very tempting.

The only downside is that I don't have a lot of time for gaming and I would piss people off for not being around much if I were attached to a group. This is assuming that I even manage that.

But...it's $10 and that's just stupid awesome....

Colt47

Oct 31, 2012
CrazyCapnMorgan said:
Miyenne said:

Colt47 said:
Final Fantasy XIV ARR has a story that is on par with the Stories in Dynasty Warriors 8. It's a bit cheesy at times, but the entire game is basically a "by the book" exercise in game development so there wasn't any soaring expectations for it upon release.

Miyenne

May 16, 2013
The game is good, but I admit it's still fresh and there's not enough content yet.

That being said, what keeps us playing is our tight group of friends. We support each other in all our crafting and our battle classes, we have a great setup for raids.

I didn't know how it work out, a bunch of people I'd never talked to before grouping up with only this site in common...

Now I love these guys.

It's the people that keep you playing an mmo more than anything else.

Miyenne

May 16, 2013
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
Ooooooooh tempting.

This would be my very first MMO, and $10 with a free upgrade to the PS4 is just very tempting.

The only downside is that I don't have a lot of time for gaming and I would piss people off for not being around much if I were attached to a group. This is assuming that I even manage that.

Half of us only pop on once or twice during the week, but we're on a lot on the weekends. There's lots you can do solo.

I work part time, and mainly evening shifts or weekends, so I'm further than anyone else in gear progression at end game. I also have the most crafting classes and gathering classes leveled.

So during the day I'm poking around gathering and crafting and making gil, which in a few weeks we'll all pour our money together and buy a guild house.

Issurru is on most evenings, Morgan's on early mornings and mid afternoons as he works the graveyard shift, Sam's on only weekends.

We're all on different times, but we plan things and when we are all together we go at it as much as we can.

Everyone's welcome as long as you're willing to put the group first and help each other out. That's how our team's kinda went, and I love it. Love these guys. Although with new people we tend to do all the helping and everyone gets free high quality (there's normal and high quality version of everything) gear thrown at them, and they get dragged through dungeons by everyone in their level 50 armor. Although this game forces you to temporarily level down to suit whatever dungeon you're in, and it levels down your gear too, so we can't destroy places for you, it still takes a well balanced team to do.

But like everyone's said, the more the merrier.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
Miyenne said:
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
Ooooooooh tempting.

Half of us only pop on once or twice during the week, but we're on a lot on the weekends. There's lots you can do solo.

I work part time, and mainly evening shifts or weekends, so I'm further than anyone else in gear progression at end game. I also have the most crafting classes and gathering classes leveled.

So during the day I'm poking around gathering and crafting and making gil, which in a few weeks we'll all pour our money together and buy a guild house.

Issurru is on most evenings, Morgan's on early mornings and mid afternoons as he works the graveyard shift, Sam's on only weekends.

We're all on different times, but we plan things and when we are all together we go at it as much as we can.

Everyone's welcome as long as you're willing to put the group first and help each other out. That's how our team's kinda went, and I love it. Love these guys. Although with new people we tend to do all the helping and everyone gets free high quality (there's normal and high quality version of everything) gear thrown at them, and they get dragged through dungeons by everyone in their level 50 armor. Although this game forces you to temporarily level down to suit whatever dungeon you're in, and it levels down your gear too, so we can't destroy places for you, it still takes a well balanced team to do.

But like everyone's said, the more the merrier.
Oh, that's really cool.

I didn't really know how much solo stuff you can do since the main point was to play with others. Then again, this might be obvious to people who play these things regularly, and I would probably go in now having an idea what's going on.

When I get the time I will have to get this. Thanks! :D