Final Fantasy XIV Subscription Fees Still a Ways Off

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Final Fantasy XIV Subscription Fees Still a Ways Off

More than six months after release, Final Fantasy XIV still has no monthly charge due to the unfinished state of the game.

When extended [http://www.amazon.com/Final-Fantasy-XIV-Pc/dp/B002I0JJ2U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1301931053&sr=8-1] Final Fantasy XIV's free trial period for 30 days, hoping that'd be enough time to sew up its wounds, but it wasn't. More than six months later, Final Fantasy XIV still comes with no monthly fee.

In early 2011, Square Enix removed original producer Hiromichi Tanaka from the game and replaced him with Naoki Yoshida. Speaking to Gamasutra about the sticky situation he's in, Yoshida said that Square Enix won't charge for Final Fantasy XIV until it's in a state where he himself, as a player, would want to pay for it. That point is still "out in the open," Yoshida revealed.

Yoshida also went into the types of changes that might be necessary, both major and minor, giving us an idea at the task Square Enix faces. For example, he believes Final Fantasy XIV's quest system could use some minor tweaking to satisfy a wider audience. On the other hand, Yoshida says that a "70 percent change might be necessary" for Final Fantasy XIV's battle system to get it to an acceptable point. These are just two examples of many areas Yoshida wants to improve.

Square Enix is able to take its time with Final Fantasy XIV because the game is self-funded and doesn't use any money from investors. Were this not the case, Yoshida says that the situation would be much different with regards to a monthly fee (or fees in general).

As it stands, Yoshida is able to implement both long-term plans, like his battle system ideas, and short-term plans, like those for the quest system, without charging unhappy players. However, you've got to wonder if Final Fantasy XIV will ever recover to the point where it earns Square Enix a profit, because Yoshida's words seem to hint that it could be another 6 months or longer before fees are implemented. I guess it could always go free-to-play [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/98683-Free-Dungeons-Dragons-Online-Revenues-Up-500-Percent].

Source: Gamasutra [http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/33866/Square_Enix_Resumption_Of_Final_Fantasy_XIV_Subscription_Fees_Still_Out_In_The_Open.php]

dagens24

Mar 20, 2004
Bwahahahahaha! What else is there to say? This is pathetic and the prime example of why developers need time to actually make the game worth playing, publishers take note.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
I know that MMOs can change drastically over time.

But a 70% change to the battle system...is basically a whole new battle system.

Still, at least they aren't going. "This game rules, and y'all are just haters."

It might not recover to point of profit, but they could at least start to recoup some of their losses later on.

JourneyThroughHell

Sep 21, 2009
The damage is done already.

I don't see people returning to this game.

I would shitcan it if I were them. Good to see them trying though.

Veloxe

Oct 5, 2010
If nothing else, I'm impressed that they are still working on it and want to drag it up to an acceptable level and aren't forcing people to pay for it in the mean time. It almost seems like to them it's less about recovering a profit, but more about recovering their pride in the series cause XIV fell hard.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Surely people aren't still playing? I mean, I give them credit for how they're trying to deal with it, but I do have to wonder if its really worth anyone's time.

Kind of reminds me of APB: Reloaded - the customisation system is worth more than the game as an MMOG, even with the necessary fixes implemented.

LavaLampBamboo

King of Okay
Jun 27, 2008
Here's an idea Square; Stop trying to make Final Fantasy an MMO and just make games like you used to. Like Final Fantasy IX on 3DS. PLEASE?!?

dagens24

Mar 20, 2004
I almost feel like they are going to have to keep it as a free to play, since I would imagine a lot of people who are playing now will scoff and quit once they are told that they now (like a year after launch) have to start paying for the game.

Sticky Squid

Dec 30, 2010
Whilst they shouldn't have released it in the condition they did, Square gets my respect for not charging until it is actually worth paying for.

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
I was wondering what was happening to FF XIV online. I'd assumed they'd started charging after fixing the issues (though from what I've seen it'd still be a bad game). I'm amazed they even released the thing if it's in such a poor state.

AugustFall

May 5, 2009
At least they are trying to get it back on track. I feel like the combat is a major problem but if they can fix it there might be a chance.
The biggest problem I see was self imposed in their choice to limit levelling. A catastrophic misunderstanding of their fanbase.

Tony2077

Dec 19, 2007
its free and i don't even have an account but its "crap" so maybe that a good thing or maybe not

Dastardly

Imaginary Friend
Apr 19, 2010
Tom Goldman said:
Nice to see that they've been willing to extend that. I'm not sure they'll be able to start charging the established playerbase after they've enjoyed it so long for free, but it's at least been a stand-up move for them not to charge in the interim.

Releasing an unfinished product is a bad thing. If you're forced to release an unfinished product, that's still a bad thing. But at least by admitting it's unfinished and treating it like an extended beta (ie, no charge), they've turned lemons into slightly-less-awful lemons.