Final Fantasy XIV Will Have a Monthly Subscription

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
CantFaketheFunk said:
NoMoreSanity said:
Yep, fuck this game. I hope The Old Republic doesn't have a subscription model, that's the only MMO I'm looking forward too.
Hate to break it to you, but odds are...

It's an MMO. They're extremely expensive to run. Unless they subsidize through microtransactions or advertising, it'll be subscription-based. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

I'll never get the vehemence against paying pocket change every month for a good amount of gameplay.
Well I'll never get how people can say that Final Fantasy is going downhill, but that's the wonder of opinions, it can be the shittiest one ever but its still valid as an opinion.

I paid 15 bucks a month for wow, while I'd have prefered 10 it certainly delivered for the time I played it.

Onmi said:
No i'm calling you an idiot because

Bright colors, weird architecture, and homosexual characters seem to be what's in order now.

It was allways bright, it allways had weird architecture, it allways had girly looking characters!

HAVE YOU SEEN AMANO'S ART? THEY HAVE FUCKING LIPSTICK! NOTHING HAS CHANGED BESIDES YOUR TASTES! YOU IDIOT!
Yeah I found it odd that he'd mention a set of things that are in Final Fantasy 1 and say that now that Final Fantasy's have those things that they are going downhill :p.

It's kind of their shtick. I think they do it quite well, other than Tidus I've enjoyed every character they've made basically.

Tidus could die in a fire covered in salt for all I care.

Et3rnalLegend64

Jan 9, 2009
Yep, this is where everyone says that they won't get it anymore. $15 a month is what, 50 cents a day? Unless of course you're like me and don't have a job.

Xisin

Sep 1, 2009
I don't quite get how people think that Square charging 15 a month for FFXIV is anything new. Think about it... XI was pay to play, and since Square is learning from XI on this project then I don't see how its a surprise that they will be charging for XIV. the 30 day billing cycle is a good thing! and a big improvement from the last subscription model they used which was: charge every month on the 1st-4th regardless of how long you had your accounted activated. So in other words if you opened the account on the 28th of Feb. then you got charged fro a full month of service via FEB then charged again on march 4th for a full month of service via March... so the 30 day plan is very welcome.

If you don't want to pay the 15 a month to play a potentially good mmorpg (as XI Was i played that game for a full five years before quitting it.) then it's your loss, if you didn't know it was an mmorpg to begin with then odds are it wasn't in your tastes anyway. also XIV has been in development for about a good four to five years now.

Crimsane

Apr 11, 2009
Who didn't see this coming? XI was P2P as well. Honestly, I prefer P2P to F2P with item malls. At least everyone's equal.

I'll never get the vehemence against paying pocket change every month for a good amount of gameplay.
Seriously. $15 is two hours of work's pay, tops. Spaz less, people.

megapenguinx

Jan 8, 2009
Oh poopie, well I'm still not a big MMO guy so I'll have to wait until the next MMO comes out on consoles (that's free to play).

monster at a party

Jul 1, 2009
harhol said:
Fbuh said:
I'm a bit disappointed in where the series has gone. Bright colors, weird architecture, and homosexual characters seem to be what's in order now.
Sounds like FF8....
Off topic: I don't remember bright colours in eight.
On topic: I don't see what all the fuss is about. Like every other REASONABLE person has said, this shit costs money. ALOT OF MONEY. And I wouldn't even have to work like, a day to be able to pay for a whole month. I could say more, but it's already been said on pretty much the first page.

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
Onmi said:
era81 said:
Square hates their custumers almost as much as Microsoft.
Wait hold up, charging for an MMO is hating your customers? does Blizzard hate there customers as well?
I do think they [Square] hate their customers, not for charging, but shady tactics in terms of trying to get users to keep playing. Your account/ characters were deleted after a fairly short time of inactivity. The registration from hell, and (at least in the beginning) it was a pain in the ass to cancel ones subscription (you had to call in to cancel, and half the time they wouldn't cancel it).

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
CantFaketheFunk said:
NoMoreSanity said:
Yep, fuck this game. I hope The Old Republic doesn't have a subscription model, that's the only MMO I'm looking forward too.
Hate to break it to you, but odds are...

It's an MMO. They're extremely expensive to run. Unless they subsidize through microtransactions or advertising, it'll be subscription-based. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

I'd love to see a survey of age vs unwillingness to pay for MMOs. I'd wager that a majority of those against would be a much younger crowd without a means of paying for a monthly subscription. MMO subscriptions for been out for a long time (Everquest was out 10 years ago and required P2P), and the fact that there are still people against it (at least to me) suggests a newer generation of gamers.

HyenaThePirate

Jan 8, 2009
This just in...

Final Fantasy XIV will require installation on a PC before you can play it.

It will also include a way to talk to other players via a text box.

Why is this news? What decent MMO DOESN'T charge a monthly fee?
To be quite honest, if you are still complaining about monthly fees for MMO's you don't really play them. I've yet to find a decent "free for play" MMO that meets anything near the level of polish and depth of a pay-to-play MMO.

But still, while I was a devotee of Final Fantasy XI, I wont be playing this on account of one thing..

DC Universe Online.

HyenaThePirate

Jan 8, 2009
Rednog said:
Onmi said:
era81 said:
Square hates their custumers almost as much as Microsoft.
Wait hold up, charging for an MMO is hating your customers? does Blizzard hate there customers as well?
I do think they [Square] hate their customers, not for charging, but shady tactics in terms of trying to get users to keep playing. Your account/ characters were deleted after a fairly short time of inactivity. The registration from hell, and (at least in the beginning) it was a pain in the ass to cancel ones subscription (you had to call in to cancel, and half the time they wouldn't cancel it).
Actually it turns out they did store relatively large amounts of user account data. If you wanted to start up again, they can retrieve your character now... although via one of the most ridiculous tactics I've ever seen that only keeps reminding me that I should hate Sony at some point... it costs MONEY to have a character restored. i forget how much but I think it was $25 for character restoration and in some cases they still couldnt restore your character info you don't get that money back.

Some one really needs to talk to Sony about their business model.

Xisin

Sep 1, 2009
HyenaThePirate said:
This just in...

That's bad info you got there as it isnt true. Anyway if you guys want news on this game which involved interviews with the devs etc go to here : http://www.bluegartrls.com/forum/forum92/

it's a reliable source for information since everything on there has a link to an interview of some kind or people testing the alpha version of the game.

HyenaThePirate

Jan 8, 2009
Xisin said:
HyenaThePirate said:
This just in...

That's bad info you got there as it isnt true. Anyway if you guys want news on this game which involved interviews with the devs etc go to here : http://www.bluegartrls.com/forum/forum92/

it's a reliable source for information since everything on there has a link to an interview of some kind or people testing the alpha version of the game.
So if i buy this game for the PC, it will require absolutely NO installation, is that what you are telling me?

Is that what you are REALLY telling me? Or did you just accidentally realize that you didn't read AND comprehend my post?

can't-think

Aug 31, 2009
I don't see the problem with a monthly fee it insures that they will keep the quality up to stop people from leaving, also 15$ a month isn't that much considering an MMORPG usually has more playtime then a regular game.