Final Fantasy XIV Will Have a Monthly Subscription

Internet Kraken

Animalia Mollusca Cephalopada
Mar 18, 2009
I'll just stick with Guild Wars for now. I'm still not comfortable with the whole idea of paying monthly for a game, but I'm getting used to it.

Lucane

Mar 24, 2008
Personally I wasn't expecting otherwise (Well technically it never entered my mind that it might be anything else.)
but I havn't seen enough to say weither or not I'll covert from or do both FFXI and FFXIV or stay the course.

Side Note: ... I noticed a few Escapists with "Xbox 360 badges" saying thier against monthly fees ... Isn't yearly just as bad or not when the console/system as a whole does it?

slopeslider

Mar 19, 2009
In related news, SquareEnix confirms That Cloud Strife Is, In fact, an Emo.

Recent studies suggest that 93.475% of studies done on gamers are roughly 24.99996% full of B.S.
THIS JUST IN:
'Blizzaga' spell confirmed for FFXIII.

Tonight at 11; An encore showing of our special: 'How to report on Total crap when there is no other news.'

Xisin

Sep 1, 2009
HyenaThePirate said:
Xisin said:
HyenaThePirate said:
This just in...

Final Fantasy XIV will require installation on a PC before you can play it.
That's bad info you got there as it isnt true. Anyway if you guys want news on this game which involved interviews with the devs etc go to here : http://www.bluegartrls.com/forum/forum92/

it's a reliable source for information since everything on there has a link to an interview of some kind or people testing the alpha version of the game.
So if i buy this game for the PC, it will require absolutely NO installation, is that what you are telling me?

Is that what you are REALLY telling me? Or did you just accidentally realize that you didn't read AND comprehend my post?
Not at all, you need to realize though that most of the people whining about subscription fees are more than likely console gamers, from that perspective saying that might cause people think you need to install it on your pc to play it on your ps3. I was correcting that as I would not put it past some people that they would think that.

Crimsane

Apr 11, 2009
Honestly, a good P2P MMO can save you money, depending on your habits. "But how, Mr. Crimsane?" Well, if you're like me, you typically buy 2-3 games a month. However, when most of your time gaming is spent on an MMO you enjoy, you only buy one game a month, if that. My monthly gaming budget drops to ~$75 (60+15), instead of $120-$180 (60+60(+60?)).

"But it'd be better if it was free!" Bullshit. Monthly fees allow the company to do more than just pay to keep the servers running, they allow them to develop new content on the side. If the company relies on just box sales (like GW), sure it'll start strong, with consistent updates and the occasional large update. When box sales start to drop off, you start to see neglect. It typically starts in the PvP community, since most people tend to buy the game for PvE content. It eventually spreads through the entire game, with updates becoming smaller and less frequent, 'til the game just dies off.

Fbuh

Feb 3, 2009
Onmi said:
Fbuh said:
Onmi said:
For every one of us that WONT buy the game now there are a million who will

Fbuh said:
well, I guess Final fantasy has had a pretty good run. I'm amazed it made it this far. Quite frankly, I think the series is dead, unless 13 rips my eyeballs and brain out with a thoroughly good skull-fucking. Other than that, I'm a bit disappointed in where the series has gone. Bright colors, weird architecture, and homosexual characters seem to be what's in order now.
This post reeks of such ignorance and nostalgia goggles I don't even know where to fucking begin.
I'm sorry, but who the hell are you to tell me of what I am ignorant? I was thoroughly disappointed with the uninspired and unoriginal characters, themes, and story lines of the past four games that I honestly don't think that the series has a chance to stay afloat that much longer. This is coming from a devout Final Fantasy fan, who was actually sad to see the series fucking murdered by Kingdom Hearts and re-releases and sequels. Yes, I said it, I fucking hate Kingdom Hearts. That game wasted 80 hours of my life and twenty dollars of my money. FF12 wasted even more of my time by spitting at me a bunch of regurgitated crap that played like Star Wars redesigned with magic. I grant that 10 and 9 weren't as bad, but you could still see the series slipping. When did main characters start wearing less clothes and having higher pitched voices? I predict that the next linear Final Fantasy game's main character actually will be a fucking hermaphrodite who had dick surgery in order to make them an actual female. Don't you talk to me about ignorance unless you can actually back up your accusations "goggles"
No i'm calling you an idiot because

Bright colors, weird architecture, and homosexual characters seem to be what's in order now.

It was allways bright, it allways had weird architecture, it allways had girly looking characters!

HAVE YOU SEEN AMANO'S ART? THEY HAVE FUCKING LIPSTICK! NOTHING HAS CHANGED BESIDES YOUR TASTES! YOU IDIOT!
Are you talking about the art or the game? Last time I checked, they were different. Final Fantasy game shave gone through a series of evolutions. The first themes incorporated traditional fantasy, Dungeons & Dragons type elements with medieval castles, dragons, knights, armor, and overall a very traditional flair. After that, it merged into the industrial sort of steampunk themes seen in 6 and 7. After that, it entered its goofy weird phase. The last time I checked, ass, there were differences between the styles seen in FF7 and FF12. Barrett had a fucking gun for an arm. He was the least girly character of any of them. They styles have changed noticeably in the past twenty or so years, which you'd know if you would actually back up any of your accusations with FUCKING PROOF. Yes, proof, that stuff intelligent people use when they are having a debate.

TheKnotAlchemist

May 20, 2009
Honestly, I know and expect that this would have a monthly fee. That isn't the problem for me. My problem is if this turns out to be $15 while Final Fantasy XI is a mere $12.95 a month. I know that isn't much off, but still.

Fbuh

Feb 3, 2009
Onmi said:
Fbuh said:
Onmi said:
Fbuh said:
Onmi said:

Fbuh said:
well, I guess Final fantasy has had a pretty good run. I'm amazed it made it this far. Quite frankly, I think the series is dead, unless 13 rips my eyeballs and brain out with a thoroughly good skull-fucking. Other than that, I'm a bit disappointed in where the series has gone. Bright colors, weird architecture, and homosexual characters seem to be what's in order now.
This post reeks of such ignorance and nostalgia goggles I don't even know where to fucking begin.
I'm sorry, but who the hell are you to tell me of what I am ignorant? I was thoroughly disappointed with the uninspired and unoriginal characters, themes, and story lines of the past four games that I honestly don't think that the series has a chance to stay afloat that much longer. This is coming from a devout Final Fantasy fan, who was actually sad to see the series fucking murdered by Kingdom Hearts and re-releases and sequels. Yes, I said it, I fucking hate Kingdom Hearts. That game wasted 80 hours of my life and twenty dollars of my money. FF12 wasted even more of my time by spitting at me a bunch of regurgitated crap that played like Star Wars redesigned with magic. I grant that 10 and 9 weren't as bad, but you could still see the series slipping. When did main characters start wearing less clothes and having higher pitched voices? I predict that the next linear Final Fantasy game's main character actually will be a fucking hermaphrodite who had dick surgery in order to make them an actual female. Don't you talk to me about ignorance unless you can actually back up your accusations "goggles"

Bright colors, weird architecture, and homosexual characters seem to be what's in order now.

It was allways bright, it allways had weird architecture, it allways had girly looking characters!

HAVE YOU SEEN AMANO'S ART? THEY HAVE FUCKING LIPSTICK! NOTHING HAS CHANGED BESIDES YOUR TASTES! YOU IDIOT!
Are you talking about the art or the game? Last time I checked, they were different. Final Fantasy game shave gone through a series of evolutions. The first themes incorporated traditional fantasy, Dungeons & Dragons type elements with medieval castles, dragons, knights, armor, and overall a very traditional flair. After that, it merged into the industrial sort of steampunk themes seen in 6 and 7. After that, it entered its goofy weird phase. The last time I checked, ass, there were differences between the styles seen in FF7 and FF12. Barrett had a fucking gun for an arm. He was the least girly character of any of them. They styles have changed noticeably in the past twenty or so years, which you'd know if you would actually back up any of your accusations with FUCKING PROOF. Yes, proof, that stuff intelligent people use when they are having a debate.
That's nice, Here's my proof. Answer me this, who was the main staff for each Final Fantasy game from I-XIII

The Asthetics have not changed, simply the person behind them. but since your so Adamant on 'Shit Sux' Don't ever let me catch you bitching about the series you supposedly gave up, wanna have big baw then go get a blog.

And Barret was a character dripping in black stereotype who if he was a badass so was my left fucking toe.

Answer your own questions, provide my proof for yourself. I'm far to lazy to be bothered helping you baw any less.

Now I WOULD respond to your jibes but I'm not a huge fan of the suspension hammer so continue raging or thinking you have won. It's not my job to help the deluded. My only word to the wise is that Directors and artists change between games. That explains everything, the art has allways consistently been colourful, and effeminate as well as abstract when talking about Amano. Tetsuya Nomura, Sakamoto what do those names have in common.

HINT: Square does not have just one team of game developers, if anyone bothered to research they would know this.
If you think threatening me with suspension scares me, then by all means have me suspended. You are under the impression that I give a shit and care that much about what happens on the internet. Let us not forget that you were the one who decided on starting a meaningless argument via a bunch of ones and zeroes to a complete stranger. Call me deluded all you want, but I still see no argument on your behalf, considering that the overall tone of the games has consistently changed overtime. Suspend me all you like, but it won't make you right.

slopeslider

Mar 19, 2009
Onmi said:
slopeslider said:
In related news, SquareEnix confirms That Cloud Strife Is, In fact, an Emo.

Recent studies suggest that 93.475% of studies done on gamers are roughly 24.99996% full of B.S.
THIS JUST IN:
'Blizzaga' spell confirmed for FFXIII.

Tonight at 11; An encore showing of our special: 'How to report on Total crap when there is no other news.'
No, no he isn't [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.119795#2332539]
Oh no. you caught me. Time to fess up.
I might as well come clean, Blizzaga hasn't been confirmed to be in FFXIII. And my statistics Are slightly altered.
Happy now?

Christemo

Jan 13, 2009
Jurassic Rob said:
I've never been a FF fan, but this discusts me! Another money grabbing scheme from a huge corporation!
yeah, like its easy to run an MMO that needs constant updating without a monthly fee. besides, it isnt like 50$ a month, so calm it, sailor. P2P is neccesary to keep an MMO running.

Fbuh

Feb 3, 2009
Onmi said:
Fbuh said:
Onmi said:
Fbuh said:
Onmi said:
Fbuh said:
Onmi said:

Fbuh said:

That's nice, Here's my proof. Answer me this, who was the main staff for each Final Fantasy game from I-XIII

The Asthetics have not changed, simply the person behind them. but since your so Adamant on 'Shit Sux' Don't ever let me catch you bitching about the series you supposedly gave up, wanna have big baw then go get a blog.

And Barret was a character dripping in black stereotype who if he was a badass so was my left fucking toe.

Answer your own questions, provide my proof for yourself. I'm far to lazy to be bothered helping you baw any less.

Now I WOULD respond to your jibes but I'm not a huge fan of the suspension hammer so continue raging or thinking you have won. It's not my job to help the deluded. My only word to the wise is that Directors and artists change between games. That explains everything, the art has allways consistently been colourful, and effeminate as well as abstract when talking about Amano. Tetsuya Nomura, Sakamoto what do those names have in common.

HINT: Square does not have just one team of game developers, if anyone bothered to research they would know this.
If you think threatening me with suspension scares me, then by all means have me suspended. You are under the impression that I give a shit and care that much about what happens on the internet. Let us not forget that you were the one who decided on starting a meaningless argument via a bunch of ones and zeroes to a complete stranger. Call me deluded all you want, but I still see no argument on your behalf, considering that the overall tone of the games has consistently changed overtime. Suspend me all you like, but it won't make you right.
Ladies and Gentleman, Here we have a man who can not actually read.

Read my posts again, and then actually think for a second.

Let me help you out for a bit

Now I WOULD respond to your jibes but I'm not a huge fan of the suspension hammer

Now it says I would respond but I'M not a fan of the suspension hammer, let me think, I'm a regular freaking user how would I suspend you? No, I do not want to be suspended because I have been suspended for humilliating and threatening little idjits like yourself all the time. Hell i've been suspeneded for calling an ARGUMENT retarded, since I am not a fan, I'm not going to become overtly angry and swear happy like yourself.

And I told you, Do. Your. Own. Research. Besides teams changing nothing has really changed, sure the worlds are different and the characters are never the same but they allways have a vibrant varied mostly colourful world with many characters portrayed in there art as effeminet (Often Amano's art) with often weird archetecture. Unless you think the floating invisable fortress in the sky win Final Fantasy 1 was totally fantasy, and the robots, and war mech.

And in FF2 Hell was pretty much bizzare archetecture cometh, FF3 holy fuck where do I begin with 3, How was everyone even ALIVE in 3 when the world was flooded? 4? GIANT FREAKING ROBOT! MOON PEOPLE! TANKS! A WHALE SHAPED SPACE SHIP! 5? Did you even pay attention to the Void? that place was like a drug induced coma. 6 As well had weird archetecture.

Here it is again in giant capslock letters

GO LOOK AT AMANO'S ARTWORK!
TAKE OF YOUR NOSTALGIA GOGGLES!
ACTUALLY REMEMBER THE ENVIROMENTS!
This argument is pointless. Neither one of us will admit that we are wrong, and neither one of us will let it go. So, in the face of my short attention span and the fact that I really don't care anymore, I'm done. If it makes you feel better, I'll even admit I'm wrong, though I don't really think that I am. I do admit that Amano's artwork is gay, but it was only used for the first couple of games, so I can't really count that as solid proof for the whole series. However, like I said, I'm done. Bye bye, I won't be returning to this post. I have better things to do other than sitting around making pointless arguments for several thousand posts.

oppp7

Aug 29, 2009
Why do all MMOs need a subscription fee? Servers can't cost that much...

Crimsane

Apr 11, 2009
oppp7 said:
You like your game getting updates, don't you? Those aren't free to develop, you know.

oppp7

Aug 29, 2009
Crimsane said:
oppp7 said:
You like your game getting updates, don't you? Those aren't free to develop, you know.
But why not just have advertisements? A few popups is a small price to pay for only $5 a month instead of $15.