Final Fantasy XV Is Still Happening, Demo Available 2015

roseofbattle

News Room Contributor
Apr 18, 2011
Final Fantasy XV Is Still Happening, Demo Available 2015

<youtube=wT3dyanB3pk>​
Originally announced nine years ago, Final Fantasy XV appears to be on the way, and a downloadable demo will be available in 2015.

A new Final Fantasy XV trailer debuted for Tokyo Game Show 2014, and Square Enix announced a demo will be available for download in 2015.

The demo is titled "Episode Duscae." While it will focus on earlier parts of the game, some elements will be altered to fit the demo. At the least, it will allow players to see the beginning area of the game.

Final Fantasy Type-0 HD players can receive a voucher with the game to access the Final Fantasy XV demo for free. A Square Enix representative could not confirm to Game Informer whether the demo will be available the same day as Type-0 HD, but it will be available on PS4 and Xbox One. Type-0 HD will be released on March 17 in North America, March 19 in Japan, and March 20 in Europe. Square Enix community manager Daniel Seto announced the demo will be available in Europe on PS4 on March 20, [http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2014/09/18/final-fantasy-xv-demo-coming-soon-ps4/?emcid=social_20140918_31845206] the same day as Type-0 launches in the region.

In addition, Tetsuya Nomura has stepped down from the role of director for Final Fantasy XV so that he can focus on Kingdom Hearts III, Square Enix CEO Yosuke Matsuda said in a prepared statement. Hajime Tabata, who directed Type-0 and Crisis Core, is the new director for Final Fantasy XV.

A two-minute trailer shows off some surprisingly modern-looking areas, as well as a car that the characters use to travel. In a moment of what seems like self-awareness, protagonist Noctis ends the trailer with the following words: "It's been a long time coming. Almost there."

Source: Kotaku [http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2014/09/17/final-fantasy-xv-demo-episode-duscae.aspx]

Gizmo1990

Insert funny title here
Oct 19, 2010
As much as I hate to advertise for it FF 13 has just been released on Steam so here is hoping that it is a sign that SE will release XV on PC. Only way I will be able to try and I really want FF to be good again.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Every time I see news about a new FF game, my brain just goes "MEH".

I think I'm burned out on hearing about things years in advance of ever seeing a finished product. I think the last FF game I was excited about was FFX. And that game was such a trudge for me that I have not been excited since. I was kind of excited about FFXIII, but playing it left me annoyed (though I did finish it).

What has happened to me? I have become a cynic about JRPG's, which is a damn shame.

Jeremy Dawkins

Oct 17, 2011
"Final Fantasy Type-0 HD players can receive a voucher with the game to access the Final Fantasy XV demo for free."

So that means for people who don't buy Type-O you have to pay for a demo? That would suck.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Gizmo1990 said:
As much as I hate to advertise for it FF 13 has just been released on Steam...
Actually its only up for pre order. Actual release is Oct 9th (for EU at least)

Able Seacat

Jun 18, 2012
I'm trying to lower my expectations to avoid disappointment but I really like the footage shown of this and I would love to give the game a try. Just got to decide between getting a PS4 or a Xbox One.

DirgeNovak

I'm anticipating DmC. Flame me.
Jul 23, 2008
Jeremy Dawkins said:
"Final Fantasy Type-0 HD players can receive a voucher with the game to access the Final Fantasy XV demo for free."

So that means for people who don't buy Type-O you have to pay for a demo? That would suck.
No, it likely means people who don't buy Type-0 won't have the demo at all.

EndlessSporadic

May 20, 2009
I heard some pretty popular voice actors in that clip. The setting will confuse many FF fans, that's for sure. Either way, it will probably be another 3-4 years before we see a "finished" product.

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
Baresark said:

I think I'm burned out on hearing about things years in advance of ever seeing a finished product. I think the last FF game I was excited about was FFX. And that game was such a trudge for me that I have not been excited since. I was kind of excited about FFXIII, but playing it left me annoyed (though I did finish it).

What has happened to me? I have become a cynic about JRPG's, which is a damn shame.
No, you haven't. The games just took forever and weren't that good. I felt the same way at first...

... But then I played JRPGs like Lost Odyssey, The Last Story, Radiant Historia, Persona 4, and Xenoblade Chronicles and realized, no, JRPGs are still amazing. I didn't change; Final Fantasy changed. The same joy of exploration, of rewarding turn-based combat, of character-driven epic storylines with memorable villains, with bustling towns, rich history, and well-executed narrative, were well and truly alive in games outside of the Final Fantasy box. I just had to look for them.

Devieus

Jul 30, 2014
I think we should take a moment and appreciate there's actual gameplay shown in this trailer, this FF trailer. It could still go any way though.

oldtaku

Jan 7, 2011
Now that Nomura's off it I can actually believe that it may be released at some point.

KingdomFantasyXIII

Apr 4, 2012
Gizmo1990 said:
As much as I hate to advertise for it FF 13 has just been released on Steam so here is hoping that it is a sign that SE will release XV on PC. Only way I will be able to try and I really want FF to be good again.
gigastar said:
Gizmo1990 said:
PC people must REALLY like to see this game on Steam. Right now, it's the best seller on there and the game isn't even out. Hell, it's already beaten out the Borderlands Pre-Sequel and LotR: Shadows of Mordor. It's like 15 dollars there.

https://store.steampowered.com/mobilestorefront/topsellers

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
KingdomFantasyXIII said:
gigastar said:
Gizmo1990 said:
PC people must REALLY like to see this game on Steam. Right now, it's the best seller on there and the game isn't even out. Hell, it's already beaten out the Borderlands Pre-Sequel and LotR: Shadows of Mordor. It's like 15 dollars there.

I noticed, but consider that the two games you listed have been on pre order for months at this point. Everyone who would have wanted to pre order them would have by now.

That and FFXIII is cheap. That might have something to do with it.

Gizmo1990

Insert funny title here
Oct 19, 2010
KingdomFantasyXIII said:
Gizmo1990 said:
gigastar said:
Gizmo1990 said:

Both of them have been available for a while and it is cheap at £9 (don't know what that is in US). Despite the amount of bad press 13 has, if I did not already know how crap it is I would give it a go at that price.

KingdomFantasyXIII

Apr 4, 2012
gigastar said:
KingdomFantasyXIII said:
gigastar said:
Gizmo1990 said:

I noticed, but consider that the two games you listed have been on pre order for months at this point. Everyone who would have wanted to pre order them would have by now.

That and FFXIII is cheap. That might have something to do with it.
That's not exactly cheap. Cheap is what Arkham Origins is selling at right now. The people who are selling that game are so desperate that they have to cut down the game's price by 75%. Plus the game hasn't even come out yet and so far Steam users seem to be pleased.

http://i.imgur.com/ZvRJnk8.png

KingdomFantasyXIII

Apr 4, 2012
Gizmo1990 said:
KingdomFantasyXIII said:
Gizmo1990 said:
gigastar said:
Gizmo1990 said:

Both of them have been available for a while and it is cheap at £9 (don't know what that is in US). Despite the amount of bad press 13 has, if I did not already know how crap it is I would give it a go at that price.
Actually, from what I have read up, a lot of people have either played the game, played a game from a friend's house or have been told positive things about said game. I know it's forum discussions (and internet comments aren't well known for being accurate), but if something like this game is selling well, it must have a big fandom wanting it.

Oh and it's 15 dollars in the US. That's not really that cheap. It's quite reasonable price.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Trishbot said:
Baresark said:

No, you haven't. The games just took forever and weren't that good. I felt the same way at first...

... But then I played JRPGs like Lost Odyssey, The Last Story, Radiant Historia, Persona 4, and Xenoblade Chronicles and realize, no, JRPGs are still amazing. I didn't change; Final Fantasy changed. The same joy of exploration, of rewarding turn-based combat, of character-driven epic storylines with memorable villains, with bustling towns, rich history, and well-executed narrative, were well and truly alive in games outside of the Final Fantasy box. I just how to look for them.
I hadn't thought of it that way. I especially loved Xenoblade Chronicles, that game was amazing. I guess I'm just burned on Square Enix. The games are always amazing looking, but at this point it almost feels like gameplay is second to the look of the game.

loa

Jan 28, 2012
I'd prefer see something like bravely default again because bravely default was good.
A bit cringeworthy on the "we're the 4 chosen ones" department and other tropes but if you can swallow that, the rest won't leave you disappointed.

It does not necessarily have to be a bravely default 2 but rather something with game design and story telling philosophies behind it that weren't devised by moon people. You know.
With the goal to make the whole game good rather than just making it look pretty.

RandV80

Oct 1, 2009
Baresark said:
Trishbot said:
Baresark said:

... But then I played JRPGs like Lost Odyssey, The Last Story, Radiant Historia, Persona 4, and Xenoblade Chronicles and realize, no, JRPGs are still amazing. I didn't change; Final Fantasy changed. The same joy of exploration, of rewarding turn-based combat, of character-driven epic storylines with memorable villains, with bustling towns, rich history, and well-executed narrative, were well and truly alive in games outside of the Final Fantasy box. I just how to look for them.
I hadn't thought of it that way. I especially loved Xenoblade Chronicles, that game was amazing. I guess I'm just burned on Square Enix. The games are always amazing looking, but at this point it almost feels like gameplay is second to the look of the game.
Do yourself a favour, go on Steam and get The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky for $20.