Final Fantasy XV Needs Next-Gen to Run Properly

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Final Fantasy XV Needs Next-Gen to Run Properly

According to Tetsuya Nomura, FFXV can only be a seamless gaming experience on next-gen systems like the PS4 or Xbox One.

If you only know about about Final Fantasy XV <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/trailers/7481-Final-Fantasy-XV-E3-2013-Announcement-Trailer>from its E3 demo, you may not understand why people are so worked up about its previous name, Final Fantasy Versus XIII. To get up to speed, all you really need to know is that the game was announced in 2006, which means <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/jimquisition/3700-Two-Rules-For-Square-Enix>gamers have been waiting seven freaking years to get their hands on it. According to FFXV director Tetsuya Nomura, there's actually a very good reason for the delay: The game Square-Enix wanted Versus to be simply wasn't possible with PS3 hardware, so the entire development cycle had to be pushed into the next console generation.

"With current-gen systems, we couldn't fully express what we wanted to do in this project," Nomura explained. "There were more and more things that we would've had to change the form of. However, the assumption was that we'd go ahead with a current-gen release, so went through a trial-and-error process to do as much as we could. So we built an alpha version about a year ago, and the company response was 'If you remained bound to the current generation, will it will be the product you envisioned?' They suggested shifting fully to next-gen, and that was the spark that led to the move."

It's a little mind-boggling when you think about it. When FF Versus XIII was first announced in May 2006, the PlayStation 3 hadn't even reached store shelves yet. That means either Square-Enix's expectations for Versus shot through the roof during development, or Nomura was literally imagining a game two generations ahead of its time. "I wanted FF15 to be as seamless as possible, and to achieve that, we needed to have all the actions you could potentially do always be available in memory," Nomura said. "Keeping this massive amount of RPG character data around, and having them fight all kinds of monsters on a large map, is a lot of stuff. To that we're adding light sourcing, physics, filters, and other graphical elements, but there's only so much we could display at once, so we were forced to go through a weeding process."

<a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/118360-Square-Enix-This-Generation-Has-Been-Way-Too-Long>Square-Enix's criticisms of prolonged console generations make more sense now, since Nomura notes this was the main thing keeping Versus from being available sooner. "[The] lifespan of the current generation of consoles was starting to pose a problem to us. If we were a year later, other companies will have more time to research the next generation, and releasing the game against their products on the older generation could have caused us to look inferior when people inevitably compared us."

So apparently Versus' delayed release was the fault of slow-moving console manufacturers the entire time. Nice job, industry.

Source: Joystiq

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
Or you know, Nomura could have not shit-canned the project back to square one only a few months before its original release and then spent the years after making sure we got KH3 this console generation.

Severian

Jun 13, 2013
Or you could have had a tangible goal in mind from the start instead of shooting for the stars only to come plummeting back to the ground. Best come out before the PS5 this time!

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
Orrr they had their entire team working overtime to fix the massive misstep they made with their recent MMO?

...Awfully well timed isn't it!

Quellist

Migratory coconut
Oct 7, 2010
Fuck it all, i dont care what or why! We are getting FF XIII Verses and we are getting the most awesome version possible because its on new generation hardware. So we have to wait until next year for it? i was getting ready for it to do a Starcraft:Ghost and never be seen again.

Yes i'm an FF Fanboi, no i dont care!

twaddle

Nov 17, 2009
I'll have you know I have been waiting 8 years. Screenshots of versus/XV and XIII showed up on the net at the same time.

Saladfork

Jul 3, 2011
I'll admit I have absolutely zero interest in JRPGs but "Final Fantasy Versus" sounds like it's supposed to be some kind of fighting game. I take it this probably isn't the case if they're making it a numbered sequel, but even so, if it was originally a spin-off for thirteen, wouldn't it have the same characters? I was under the impression all the numbered final fantasy games were stand-alone.

On an unrelated note, when they get up to final fantasy thirty, are they really going to call it Final Fantasy XXX? Because that would be hilarious.

Sheo_Dagana

Aug 12, 2009
So you announced a game that would only be available for a system that you had no fucking clue would even exist in the future? See, this is why I'm writing FFXV off entirely. The game has been in production for far too long and games with that sort of a developmental cycle usually turn out poorly.

Seriously, you needed the power of the PS4 to make a Final Fantasy-themed version of Dynasty Warriors? No thanks, Square. I'll always love you for the games you gave me while I was growing up, but FFX was the last FF game I enjoyed playing.

Revnak_v1legacy

Fixed by "Monday"
Mar 28, 2010
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
And yet JRPGs like Lost Odyssey, Ni No Kuni, White Knight Chronicles, Valkyria Chronicles, etc were possible on current-gen hardware, and JRPGs like Xenoblade Chronicles, Pandora Tower and The Last Story were possible on the fucking Wii.

Hey, Nomura, you know what Xenoblade had? An open-world. You know what the Last Story had? Towns. You know what Final Fantasy games on much more powerful hardware lacked this generation? Both. Don't give me this 'only possible on next-gen' bullshit when recent Final Fantasy games have yet to match the standard set on games running on previous generation hardware.
You do realize Nomura didn't work on those games, right (aside from character designs)? Why are you blaming him for somebody else's work? Maybe the way he wanted to do all of those things really wasn't possible on current gen hardware. I honestly wouldn't be all that surprised. Just looking at the little pieces they showed people during development you can see they were aiming for the moon from day one.

Edit- And to the part of your comment that was cut, haven't they only been working on realm reborn for the past year? How in the world would that explain the years of delays? You explanation is even more far fetched to be honest. Not to mention that they probably just had the team that had already made XIV work on it, not some team who had nothing to do with it and knew nothing about it.

antigodoflife

Nov 12, 2009
God damn it, you PC fanboys are getting on my last nerve.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=60nWEuj2wAI#t=103s
Honestly, I don't think this is even possible on even a PC back in 2006.

Seracen

Sep 20, 2009
Yeah, going to go ahead and call BS on this announcement.

That's not to say I'm not happy. I like the fact that they are sprucing it up and making it a good addition to the new console lineup. Just don't claim "technical limitations" for your failure to delegate time and resources properly.

l3o2828

Mar 24, 2011
antigodoflife said:

You're right, it probably wasn't.
But i still would like XV to be on PC, just because i don't want to participate in the new console generation, for atleast a whole bunch of years.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
antigodoflife said:

Seriously not trying to be antagonistic, but what was special about that?

If you strip back the graphics, we're left with "good timing, good collision detection and fluid movement", which was not only possible on PCs, but on last gen consoles... and the ones before THAT. Heck, one could argue that Street Fighter II had all that, depending on how loose your definition of "fluid movement" is.

Admittedly, things like "grabbing the enemy's polygons" would have taken more work, but it's still not THAT impressive... "Shadow of the Colossus" based an entire game around it.

I'm not seeing where the next-gen requirement is coming from other than looking really quite nice.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
antigodoflife said:

Nope, it definitely wasn't near possible for PC's back in 2006, but seriously, beyond the (amazing) graphics, I don't find anything particularly especial about the gameplay, to me, it looks like a blend between Kingdom Hearts and Devil May Cry; nothing more, nothing less.

Graphically, this wasn't possible in 2006, gameplay wise, it was already done in 2001 and 2002 on the PS2.

Revnak_v1legacy

Fixed by "Monday"
Mar 28, 2010
lacktheknack said:
antigodoflife said:

Seriously not trying to be antagonistic, but what was special about that?

If you strip back the graphics, we're left with "good timing, good collision detection and fluid movement", which was not only possible on PCs, but on last gen consoles... and the ones before THAT. Heck, one could argue that Street Fighter II had all that, depending on how loose your definition of "fluid movement" is.

Admittedly, things like "grabbing the enemy's polygons" would have taken more work, but it's still not THAT impressive... "Shadow of the Colossus" based an entire game around it.

I'm not seeing where the next-gen requirement is coming from other than looking really quite nice.
Companion AI maybe? You aren't controlling the other guys in these fights. Also seamless open world gameplay with loads of enemies can be difficult to do without glitching it up all over. He does mention that the graphics they were trying to pull off were part of the problem as well.