Final Two The Old Republic Classes Revealed

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
JediMB said:
Abedeus said:
What makes me mad is that they apparently won't give the Jedi any Dark Forces or vice versa (Sith - Light Forces). Quoting, "no power is inherently good or evil, it's how we use them". Kyle Katarn or some other Jedi Master.
There's conflicting material regarding that, though. There are plenty of sources, including Lucas himself, saying that using Dark Side powers like Force Lightning corrupts the user, and brings him or her towards the dark.

Meanwhile, there are powers usually (or previously) associated with the Sith that aren't really Dark Side, such as the telekinetic choke technique. What matters there is how it is used, since no true Jedi would intentionally torture an opponent.
An example I used a while back was using Force Lightning to keep a life-support machine working.

Light-side application of a Dark-side Power. What happens then?

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
Abedeus said:
Well, we might argue that Choke can be used to disarm opponents without harming them or by holding them in place or in the air, not by neck of course.
Indeed, it can. As demonstrated by Luke in Return of the Jedi. He used the ability to temporarily disable a Gamorrean, without having to actually hurt it.

Choke is a telekinetic ability, and telekinesis is by nature Neutral/Light. (One could argue that there is really no such thing as a Light Side of the Force, but rather a Natural/Neutral side.)

Amnestic said:
An example I used a while back was using Force Lightning to keep a life-support machine working.

Light-side application of a Dark-side Power. What happens then?
Even with the best of intentions, the Force Lightning is still (supposedly) generated through the corrupted Dark Side of the Force.

Sure, using it once won't instantly make you go Dark Side, but it will leave you with the temptation to use it again... and again... and then you might want to try another Dark Side power, seeing how useful they are, and soon you might find yourself being a Sith Lord.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
JediMB said:
Sure, using it once won't instantly make you go Dark Side, but it will leave you with the temptation to use it again... and again... and then you might want to try another Dark Side power, seeing how useful they are, and soon you might find yourself being a Sith Lord.
Well, if you get tempted by the Dark Side's power, you weren't meant to be a Jedi anyway. No loss there.

...damn, I really have to play KotOR again.

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
Abedeus said:
What makes me mad is that they apparently won't give the Jedi any Dark Forces or vice versa (Sith - Light Forces). Quoting, "no power is inherently good or evil, it's how we use them". Kyle Katarn or some other Jedi Master.
Yeah I'm not a fan of the clear distinction between light and dark powers either. I mean in the Expanded Universe even Luke threw a version of Force Lightning if I remember right. I thought it was neat how Kyle basically became a person who still had some of his "darker" powers and yet uses them in a manner to uphold justice rather than subvert it. But I suppose these things have to be done out of a game balance necessity.

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
Abedeus said:
JediMB said:
Well, if you get tempted by the Dark Side's power, you weren't meant to be a Jedi anyway. No loss there.

I disagree. All the most iconic Jedi were at times tempted by the Dark Side. The difference between a true Jedi and a Fallen Jedi is whether or not s-/he has the willpower to resist the temptation. The more you expose yourself to the Dark Side's corrupting influence, the harder it is to resist it.

And, yeah, I've considered starting up KotOR again, but my life's already being eaten away by Dragon Age, and I stopped in the middle of an Insane run in Mass Effect before that.

...When did I become such a BioWare fan?

IrrelevantTangent

Oct 4, 2008
Yaay, we finally get our Sith Lord class! Though it was probably inevitable anyway.

I just hope the initial playtesting of the game doesn't allow for any class imbalances, though. We all remember what happened with Star Wars Galaxies.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
JediMB said:
Abedeus said:
JediMB said:

I disagree. All the most iconic Jedi were at times tempted by the Dark Side. The difference between a true Jedi and a Fallen Jedi is whether or not s-/he has the willpower to resist the temptation. The more you expose yourself to the Dark Side's corrupting influence, the harder it is to resist it.

And, yeah, I've considered starting up KotOR again, but my life's already being eaten away by Dragon Age, and I stopped in the middle of an Insane run in Mass Effect before that.

...When did I become such a BioWare fan?
I worded that badly. Being tempted is normal. Giving into the temptation and going to the Dark Side is wrong.

simmeh

Jan 25, 2009
I was badly looking forward to this game. My enthusiasm has waned slightly.

I'm not going to rehash (unless provoked) all the tired arguments about how a "Consular" is just a subset of the Jedi Knights and how I feel that a Jedi "Mage" just doesn't make any damn sense, but I won't deny the fact that I was hoping for something different than this.

That said, I'm going to withhold my full judgment until BioWare gives us all the details on these classes. Maybe the Consular won't fall flat?

Also, I don't have a problem with the Sith Inquisitor, before you ask. Just the Jedi Consular kinda tweaks my ass.

GrinningManiac

Jun 11, 2009
Rigs83 said:
GrinningManiac said:
What's with the stupid names? Just drop the premise and call 'em "Mage" and "Warlock"

Geez...people always giving silly names to things that have been around for years...
Are you new to the internet? Has you had chezburger? Can you get to the CHOPPA!?
Nope, I was too busy Firin' Mah Lazor, because a dude said "all your base belonged to us" and I was like WTF whatever, but it WAS A TRAP

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
I'm feeling kinda...underwhelmed. I was hoping for combat droids or something. As it is, almost half the classes are friggin... jedi/sith.

Woem

May 28, 2009
JonahNYC said:
James Raynor said:
Loop Stricken said:
James Raynor said:
Funny how you cannot be a light side sith...
Okay, so... I'm not a Star Wars buff but... wouldn't that be a Jedi?
The only real difference between a jedi and a sith is their philosophy. You can be a 'dark jedi' but not a light-sided version of the sith.
You can't be a Dark Jedi. That's a Sith. You CAN be a "Gray Jedi".
Can I also be a Gray Sith?

Cryo84R

Gentleman Bastard.
Jun 27, 2009
No fucking dammit. There is better stuff in star wars than more god damn Jedi!
I was HOPING they would be at least a little creative.

I hate Jedi.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Cheshire Cat said:
I'd like to see the Taung ( http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Taung ) make an appearance as a playable race in it :-D

They remind me of the Protoss from Starcraft...
Possible, yes, seeing as only later in the timeline the Taung species (still curious why the hell they're classified as Near-Human, they sure as hell don't look like it, a disturbance in the Force perhaps?) started going extinct (no idea why though, too much fighting, interbreeding?).

I know for sure that if I was going to play a Bounty Hunter, I'd sure as hell choose my race to be the original Mandalorians, so I second your wish. But the release of the Sith Inquisitor made that choice difficult once again. Well the Bounty Hunter (space cowboy anyone? it's still a toss-up between Boba Fett and Han Solo) did that already, but it's even more difficult now. Don't you just love luxury problems?
Cryo84R said:

I hate Jedi.
Don't worry so much, only 2 classes are Jedi's, you're free to pick others. But I still agree with your other point, except for the hate thing. I mean:

Jedi's ain't got nuffin' on space cowboys wielding 2 blasters. Or Bounty Hunters for that matter.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
Assassinator said:
Cheshire Cat said:
I'd like to see the Taung ( http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Taung ) make an appearance as a playable race in it :-D

They remind me of the Protoss from Starcraft...
Possible, yes, seeing as only later in the timeline the Taung species (still curious why the hell they're classified as Near-Human, they sure as hell don't look like it, a disturbance in the Force perhaps?) started going extinct (no idea why though, too much fighting, interbreeding?).

I know for sure that if I was going to play a Bounty Hunter, I'd sure as hell choose my race to be the original Mandalorians, so I second your wish. But the release of the Sith Inquisitor made that choice difficult once again. Well the Bounty Hunter (space cowboy anyone? it's still a toss-up between Boba Fett and Han Solo) did that already, but it's even more difficult now. Don't you just love luxury problems?
Cryo84R said:

I hate Jedi.
Don't worry so much, only 2 classes are Jedi's, you're free to pick others. But I still agree with your other point, except for the hate thing. I mean:

Jedi's ain't got nuffin' on space cowboys wielding 2 blasters. Or Bounty Hunters for that matter.
Did you know theres actually a Jedi Prestige class thats effectivly a Ranger/Knight (as in, Texan), complete with a Blaster Lance weapon and a beam shield and a hover bike?

Totally fucking serious. Ahh Starwars d20...

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
TsunamiWombat said:
Did you know theres actually a Jedi Prestige class thats effectivly a Ranger/Knight (as in, Texan), complete with a Blaster Lance weapon and a beam shield and a hover bike?

Totally fucking serious. Ahh Starwars d20...
Bring on the sci-fi jousting tournaments! Why are we even bothering with Jedi's when things like that are around in the Star Wars universe? Although that's not a Texas Ranger, that'd be the guy I posted that image of, in other words the space cowboy, and while a space knight is pretty frakking awesome (though the best space knights are W40k's Black Templars [http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3242/3030602735_ab651eded4.jpg]), a space cowboy is just a bit cooler, ok a whole bit actually. I mean, in SW:TOR as a Smuggler, you can kick someone in the nuts to stun them, how low, dirty, vile and awesome is that?