Finalists Announced for the World Video Game Hall of Fame

Lizzy Finnegan

Mar 11, 2015
Finalists Announced for the World Video Game Hall of Fame

The Strong has announced the twelve finalists for the World Video Game Hall of Fame.

Today, The Strong announced a new batch of finalists to be considered for induction into the World Video Game Hall of Fame. The inductees will be announced at The Strong museum on Thursday, May 4, at 10:30 a.m. Those up for consideration are: Donkey Kong, Final Fantasy VII, Halo: Combat Evolved, Microsoft Windows Solitaire, Mortal Kombat, Myst, Pokemon Red and Green, Portal, Resident Evil, Street Fighter II, Tomb Raider, and Wii Sports.

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1392/1392168.jpg

The games that are ultimately selected will join Pong, Pac-Man, Tetris, Super Mario Bros., DOOM, World of Warcraft, Grand Theft Auto III, The Legend of Zelda, The Oregon Trail, The Sims, Sonic the Hedgehog, and Space Invaders. Three of this year's finalists - Tomb Raider, Street Fighter II, and Pokemon Red and Green - were also finalists last year.

Nominations were accepted from the general public, and games were considered based on the following criteria:

Icon-status - the game is widely recognized and remembered
Longevity - the game is more than a passing fad and has enjoyed popularity over time
Geographical reach - the game meets the above criteria across international boundaries
Influence - the game has exerted significant influence on the design and development of other games, on other forms of entertainment, or on popular culture and society in general.

Final selections will be made on the advice of journalists, scholars, and other individuals familiar with the history of video games and their role in society.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
No Call of Duty: Modern Warfare? Seriously, if the game that half the AAA industry tried to imitate for years isn't being considered by its influence alone, then this is just another popularity contest.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
Guffe said:
If I'd have to pic 3: Pokemon Red, Final Fantasy and Mortal Kombat
I'd agree. Though Mortal Kombat could be replaced with Halo. Not even a fan of Halo (or Pokemon) but few games have had a big an impact on the world of gaming as Halo.

TilMorrow

Diabolical Party Member
Jul 7, 2010
CaitSeith said:
No Call of Duty: Modern Warfare? Seriously, if the game that half the AAA industry tried to imitate for years isn't being considered by its influence alone, then this is just another popularity contest.
I'm guessing it doesn't meet the Icon-status or Geographical Reach criteria of becoming a nominee. I mean you're more likely to remember Call of Duty as a brand and what type of game it is but not really what was the panache in any of the individual games except maybe zombies but there's been a lot of CoDs with zombies. Also it really kind of is a popularity contest.

MeatMachine

Dr. Stan Gray
May 31, 2011
Those are all games I'd expect as finalists, but it simply has to go to either Pokemon or Halo in my opinion (and I really dislike Halo). I would be pretty damned surprised if Pokemon doesn't take it, given that it is the 2nd most successful video game franchise ever, and has influenced culture outside of video games more than any other.

marioandsonic

Nov 28, 2009
Damn, those are all good candidates.

If I had to pick 3, I would go with Pokemon, Halo, and Street Fighter.

I really hope Donkey Kong gets in too, though.

Hawk of Battle

Feb 28, 2009
Well that's a a hell of a selection. I mean, Mortal Kombat AND Street Fighter II?! How the hell do you pick between two of the most iconic fighting games ever, let alone the rest?

If I had to narrow it down though, I'd like to see either Tomb Raider, Resi, or FF7. 3 of the greatest games of the same decade, utterly genre defining in each of their own ways. I probably put money on Tomb Raider though.

Man I miss the 90s.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
American Tanker said:
What in the [DATA EXPUNGED] is freaking Wii Sports doing there?
It sold so much more copies/Wiis than people thought possible. Not saying I think it should be there, but that's what I'm imagining.

Don't actually know why the first Tomb Raider is on here. Yeah it was popular but... What exactly did it do that was so groundbreaking?

Also FF7 should be replaced by FF. The very first one. Actually, after reading through a whole bunch of other FF storylines, I actually think FF had the best story. Yes, you heard me. It's also got one of the most epic names and a epic development legacy with an impact that was totally unprecedented. FF7 just sold better. Yeah fuck FF7. Put the first one in there.

Super Mario 64 should be on here I think. I mean, Banjo-Kazooie/Tooie was just as good if not better, but ultimately, as much as I hate to admit it, SM64 definitely got there first before anybody else.

Half Life probably should be on there too. Maybe Far Cry. Starcraft for sure. Quake. Metal Gear Solid. Need For Speed. Wing Commander. Thief. Team Fortress. Wolfenstein 3D. Elder Scrolls I: Arena.

Alfredo Jones

Jul 1, 2013
Based on the criteria they are going with, I would expect Pokemon, FF7, and Resident Evil to win. All three are popular franchises across the globe that revolutionized their respective genres. Halo and Street Fighter II would also be safe bets. I'm not so sure about the rest though, though that's probably because none of them interest me that much.

Leg End

Romans 12:18
Oct 24, 2010
Country
United States
Saltyk said:
Guffe said:
If I'd have to pic 3: Pokemon Red, Final Fantasy and Mortal Kombat
I'd agree. Though Mortal Kombat could be replaced with Halo. Not even a fan of Halo (or Pokemon) but few games have had a big an impact on the world of gaming as Halo.
Honestly, I'd have to say that Mortal Kombat overall was a major point in video game history due to the violence alone, and was the main game that started debates regarding rating systems, as well as being a major player in the games-as-art discussion.

Chewster

It's yer man Chewy here!
Apr 24, 2008
The original Deus Ex deserves a spot in there but the rest seem reasonable. Iconic games of their time with a lasting influence.

Talvrae

The Purple Fairy
Dec 8, 2009
I'd say Baldur's Gate 2 and Planescape Torment would deserve a place... maybe Vampire the Mascarade Bloodline

Zulnam

Feb 22, 2010
I'm surprised Solitaire wasn't already among the games featured. It should win, though.