Finding Ourselves In Liz Lemon

Elizabeth Grunewald

The Pope of Chilitown
Oct 4, 2010
Finding Ourselves In Liz Lemon

Why we see ourselves in a woman who has two thumbs, speaks limited French, and hasn't cried once today.

Read Full Article

ckeymel

Jun 24, 2008
So very true - I can't count the number of times I have laughed or cringed at something on that show because of how closely it resembles something I have done or said. Generally with the awkward social interaction or the unfortunate joke that completely deadpans.

latenightapplepie

Nov 9, 2008
I love Liz Lemon. I think she's easily one of the most relatable characters of television for me at the moment. And I am a man.

Okay, so I may be gay, but I don't think that matters.

_Janny_

Mar 6, 2008
The first time I heard her "everyone just wants a sandwich" speech I couldn't help but nod and smile. I believe that if you give the whole world their favorite sandwich, for a few seconds everyone will shut up and be at peace.

I loved it when her and Jack drove to Stonemountain and went passed a place called "Sandwich Ranch". Her reaction was priceless. "Turn here! Turn here!" Come on, who wouldn't have had the urge to do the same?

MNRA

Jun 8, 2009
Don't know who Liz lemon is. Don't know the series.

Still, it was a good read, a nice article. So thank you for sharing :)

MasterSplinter

Jul 8, 2009
Not only do I relate with the character I want to marry Liz Lemon. But I'll settle with Tina Fey if I can. I haven't watched all episodes of 30 Rock so i missed.

I want someone who will be monogamous: check

Nice to his mother: check

And I want someone who likes musicals but knows to just shut his mouth when I'm watching Lost: check, and check (although i haven't watched any musical live just movie-tv ones)

And I want someone who thinks being really into cars is lame and strip clubs are gross: check, check.

I want someone who will actually empty the dishwasher instead of just taking out forks as needed, like I do: check (don't own a dishwasher but doing the dishes counts, right? once you live in a place with bugs that habit just doesn't wear off)

I want someone with clean hands and feet and beefy forearms like a damn Disney prince: Well I'm clean, don't know about the disney thing.

And I want him to genuinely like me, even when I'm old. I do, even if you are not real.

the7ofswords

Apr 9, 2009
latenightapplepie said:
I love Liz Lemon. I think she's easily one of the most relatable characters of television for me at the moment. And I am a man.

Okay, so I may be gay, but I don't think that matters.

Well, I'm a hetero guy, who finds her character relatable, so you're absolutely correct.

~Cheers!

megs1120

Wing Commander
Jul 27, 2009
Absolutely! She's enormously relatable. Even though there is little in common between me and her, every episode of 30 Rock has at least one "woah, that's so me!" moment.

Tina Fey is a comic genius and 30 Rock is the best show currently on television.

Kelly Helder

Apr 19, 2010
I have so much love for this article, but I don't really think its fair for me to comment because I'm a hologram.

funguy2121

Oct 20, 2009
She's real. Flawed, at times desperate, not totally gorgeous at every moment of the day, she's funny but sometimes kinda pathetic, and she even tries to tell people off and fails miserably. But they don't make her so fragile and miserable that it makes you want to kill yourself ("they" includes Tina Fey, by the way).

ace_of_something

Sep 19, 2008
HankMan said:
Grahav said:
I like Liz Lemon. But I like strip clubs more.
If girls want a man who isn't into strip clubs then they're looking for a man who isn't into women.
you can enjoy boobies and such without enjoying paying copious sums of money to see them surrounded by other dudes.

Grahav

Mar 13, 2009
HankMan said:
Grahav said:
If girls want a man who isn't into strip clubs then they're looking for a man who isn't into women.
Yeah, a guy may not go to strip clubs for whatever the reason (ethics, morals, explotation of woman, etc...) but it is impossible do deny the power of stripping.

Hey, if she wants a guy with beefy arms I have the right to want a woman who strips.

Uhm, Liz Lemon stripping... "Drools:"

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
HankMan said:
Grahav said:
If you've been to the strip clubs I've been to, you probably wouldn't enjoy strip clubs anymore.