Fine, you people win. (Giving in to peer pressure.)

MrMixelPixel

Jul 7, 2010
I've been hearing this for a long time now, about how amazing The Walking Dead game is. I chalked it up to hype honestly. But I just kept hearing: "Best game of 2012", "Most emotional game evvvah" , "Seriously, it's the best". It started to seem like everyone had played it excluding myself. Giving in to the pressure, I was tempted to purchase it multiple times, but I could never bring myself to do it. Luckily, the latest humble indie bundle gave me the perfect opportunity to try it out. You know what, you people were right. It was one hell a of a game, glad to have played it.

Other popular things in this community might be worth checking out now. I'm probably gonna start watching Game of Thrones or whatever. Now my question for ya'll is...

Has this, or any other internet community convinced you to buy a game, watch a tv show, or do something that you would probably not have done otherwise? Were you happy you did? Stuff like that.

(I tried my best to make this opening post easy to read. I don't make threads very often, so please be gentle.)

Dead Seerius

Feb 4, 2012
MrMixelPixel said:
(I tried my best to make this opening post easy to read. I don't make threads very often, so please be gentle.)
You call this easy to read?! Bah! Where was the hook? The climax? And your post needed more closure in its resolution, dammit!
(Kidding, it was a splenderous opening post.)

OT: I too discovered The Walking Dead from comments on these forums, and as my lefternmost badge will indicate it was my 2012 GOTY. Can't wait for Season 2.

I also suppose I'll get around to buying Okami one of these days.

Dr. Cakey

Feb 1, 2011
Well, there was this underrated game I heard about from some alternative gaming site, maybe somebody here's heard of it...

I didn't play Portal until a couple years after it came out. It was good.

Wadders

Aug 16, 2008
Didnt play the first Mass Effect for at least a year. Managed to resist the encouragement of my friends (and the rest of the world apparently) until one of them actually gave me his PC copy, so I felt obligated to try what I had dismissed as sci-fi drivel (spacey stuff isn't usually my kind of thing.)

It rapidly consumed my life for a couple of months thereafter.

teqrevisited

Mar 17, 2010
So one day I said to a friend of mine:

"Hey, I was thinking about checking out this game that I've heard loads of people go on about on the forums."

"Yeah? Which one?" He replies.

"Persona 4"

"Order it right now."

I must have spent at least 200 hours over 2 playthroughs across the original game, I've watched the animation and I bought a Vita because the thought that I could afford to get one plus Persona 4 Golden was my first and last thought of the day for about a week. So Now I'm going through Golden too.

I got Okami and Persona 3:FES at the same time but even though I thoroughly enjoyed them both, and intend to eventually finish them, my time has just been completely consumed by P4.

I recently started watching Breaking Bad too. Personally I don't think it's lived up to what I was told about it but it's good enough that I'm watching it when I have spare time.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
I usually cave about TV shows. People are always trying to force me to watch this or that. A friend of mine is always raving about The Wire. I don't care how good the show is, I'm sick of people trying to convert me to their favorite stuff.

Leemaster777

Feb 25, 2010
Ponies and Portal, mostly. Those are the two things I can think of off the top of my head that I probably wouldn't have tried if people weren't always on about them.

IllumInaTIma

Flesh is but a garment!
Feb 6, 2012
Escapist and a bunch of different mems convinced me to try watching Game of Thrones that I was skeptical about, and it turned out awesome! So, thank you internet!
But, then again I've also heard a lot of praise for Gurren Lagann... so, yeah... fuck you internet.
But, then again I decided to try and watch Sherlock thanks to pressure from one of my friends, so thank you Amir!

sky14kemea

Deus Ex-Mod
Jun 26, 2008
SanAndreasSmoke said:
MrMixelPixel said:
You call this easy to read?! Bah! Where was the hook? The climax? And your post needed more closure in its resolution, dammit!
Why did I read that in the voice of J. Jameson?

Eek!

OT: I'm pretty hard to convince into things, especially things that seem popular. I usually wander into them later than everyone else by myself if I'm just left alone, but if I get people pestering me saying "It's the best thing EVER! How can you not watch it?!" Then I'll just actively avoid it, so I don't ever have to hear them say "See I told you you'd like it! Blah blah etc."

The Escapist does help me try different things though. If I see something interesting in an article, I might go out and find it myself. Usually it's a flash game or a youtube video that I probably would never have clicked on otherwise.

Robot Number V

May 15, 2012
I played Thomas Was Alone because of this site. It was....OK. I also went back and downloaded Okami from the PS Store. It's also OK....so far. I beat the first boss (giant spider monster) several months ago and haven't touched it since. Honestly, I'm having a hard time getting past the dialog. I feel like I can't think about a problem for 2 seconds before that stupid bug just straight up tells me the solution.

Belaam

Nov 27, 2009
Though they aren't here anymore, Extra Credits still does the occasional "Games You May Not Have Played" - I think they're up to 4 or so. Any any rate, those episodes usually get me to buy at least one game.

likalaruku

Nov 29, 2008
Usually when something becomes popular, I go out of my way to avoid it. I have decades of disappointing experience going with popular opinion on everything from music to politics. I guess deep down I'm just unamerican at heart.

KR4U55

Mar 12, 2012
Only once, I was told The Last Airbender is the worst movie ever. Because of the source material I didn't think a studio could f*ck up so badly. I was wrong. I've never watched Game of Thones yet several internet communities tell me I should watch it.

Maybe ponies, but that was mostly because of one scene.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
likalaruku said:
Usually when something becomes popular, I go out of my way to avoid it. I have decades of disappointing experience going with popular opinion on everything from music to politics. I guess deep down I'm just unamerican at heart.
Um...automatically disliking anything that's popular* doesn't make you "un-American". It makes you a contrarian.

[sub]* or liking anything that's unpopular[/sub]

Dead Seerius

Feb 4, 2012
sky14kemea said:
SanAndreasSmoke said:
MrMixelPixel said:
Why did I read that in the voice of J. Jameson?

Eek!
Agh! Kill it! Kill it with holy water and airstrikes!

Karhukonna

Nov 3, 2010
Peer pressure was something of an odd thing in the military. In a tightly knit group that has to do all sorts of stuff together, the group as a whole expects a specific behavior from it's members. As NCOs, it was our job to manage this need to function as a whole. Let it go too far, and you'll end up with good old fashioned soap-towelings [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCNqKrX1sx8].

Having no, or low, peer pressure on the other hand results in the group becoming disorganized. Morale drops, discipline fades and the squad becomes useless. Without peer pressure, a military squad will degrade into a rag-tag band of hooligans [http://www.youtube.com/v/-IatwoA00E0&start=38&end=56&version=3]. Good or bad, the need for unity is essential in a military squad.

This kind of behavior seemed to always steer towards the soap-toweling, however. Sure, you could still have too little squad mentality, but it rarely happened. Most of the time, fixing the situation required holding back. I personally preferred to lean towards unity. I encouraged competition, and sometimes antagonized other squads so we'd have... Well, rivals is the wrong word for it, but you get the idea.

Little Woodsman

Nov 11, 2012
I started watching MLP: Friendship is Magic because of a thread here.
Kept watching it just because I loved it.

cojo965

Jul 28, 2012
Well it was less peer pressure and watching Youtube that did it for me, as I am now a minor airsofter. That means I play whenever I can.

On that note, I'm looking into stocks for my WE G39C and want to know what's compatable with it.

The Lugz

Apr 23, 2011
Dr. Cakey said:
Well, there was this underrated game I heard about from some alternative gaming site, maybe somebody here's heard of it...

I didn't play Portal until a couple years after it came out. It was good.
i only played it when it was free on steam, and honestly i'm still not impressed it has a nice story but it's frankly boring and limited i expect books and collectables in a game like that at least.

and you've probably noticed i won't lick a game's boots just because it's a cult hit :p