Finland Considers "Crowdsourced" Copyright Law

PoolCleaningRobot

Mar 18, 2012
Entitled said:
The aspect of copyright that bothers me a lot more, is the way it equates vaguer ideas, and content types, with the product that is actually being created by someone.
Well technically you can't copyright vague ideas. An example would be when Naked Gun lampooned a photo of pregenant Demi Moore from an issue Vanity Fair. The photographer lost the lawsuit because you can't own the rights to something vague like a pose

Karathos

May 10, 2009
Kyber said:
Suomi mainittu.
Jumalauta, there's other Finns on here. You stole my post :(

There's plenty of wonky shit going on in Finland in terms of law, just like in every other country in the world. But every now and then, something amazing like this pops up. Let's hope it makes it through. Doesn't affect me a lot either, but even a single shaky step on the road of common sense when it comes to lawmaking here in Finland or anywhere else for that matter is always cause for celebration. It worries me just how disconnected from actual reality lawmakers are sometimes. Which is weird, since we vote those people in there so we ought to share their views...

... right? ;)

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
while this proposal os far from a common sense copyright law, its a step forwards and i really hope it passes.
small steps, damnit, small steps.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
Baldr said:
The only problem is that copyright laws are not mandated by the laws of the state but also by International treaties.
International treaties don't overrule local law, they apply to citizens that have gone to other nations or someone who ran away to another nation, basically they are there to prevent someone circumventing another nations laws by crossing a boarder.

Entitled

Aug 27, 2012
PoolCleaningRobot said:
Entitled said:
The aspect of copyright that bothers me a lot more, is the way it equates vaguer ideas, and content types, with the product that is actually being created by someone.
Well technically you can't copyright vague ideas. An example would be when Naked Gun lampooned a photo of pregenant Demi Moore from an issue Vanity Fair. The photographer lost the lawsuit because you can't own the rights to something vague like a pose
Yes, that's what "Fair Use" is supposed to be for, I just feel that even the widest applied usages of that are ridiculously narrow compared to what a healthy culture should have.

If works like Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead, The Wide Sargasso Sea, Or Alan Moore's The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, would be written based on anything created after 1918, they would be treated as unpublishable "fanfiction" even in the best copyright systems, and illegal to exist in the rest, persecuted by Cease and Desist letters.

Not bbecause they are artistically uniriginal pieces of theft and plagiarism (they are great creative works), but because of a handful of names they used, and situations that they have admittedly built from.

When at one time we are getting psyched up over the "canon", and "worldbuilding" that is entirely based on a corporation practicing their exclusive rights over a franchise, while at the same time bemoaning the abundance of "old safe IPs, all that we are talking about is just copyright law's strict

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
Kyber said:
Suomi mainittu, torilla tavataan!
Annas kun liitän vielä kuvan tohon tekstiin!

On Topic:
Yeah this was weird, well it still has to get the votes from parliament etc so it has a long and rocky way to go before actually becoming a law.
I find it rather strange that it made it this far since we don't have that high penalties anyway and very few are actually being punished here for copyright infrigment.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
Karathos said:
Kyber said:
Suomi mainittu.

but even a single shaky step on the road of common sense when it comes to lawmaking here in Finland
Not sure if I want to communicate in Finnish or English :p

What is bad/strange in our lawaking if I may ask? I think it's working just fine...

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
Guffe said:
Karathos said:
Kyber said:
Suomi mainittu.

but even a single shaky step on the road of common sense when it comes to lawmaking here in Finland

What is bad/strange in our lawaking if I may ask? I think it's working just fine...
You've Swedish as a mandatory class. Swedish is a terrible language. Trust me, I'm Swedish.

Wookie 1

Apr 3, 2010
I have a sneaking suspicion that letting normal people write copyright laws will be a disaster for everybody involved in actually making entertainment products unless written by calmer heads/ understanding individuals.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
Denamic said:
Guffe said:
Karathos said:
Kyber said:
Suomi mainittu.

You've Swedish as a mandatory class. Swedish is a terrible language. Trust me, I'm Swedish.
Inte skulle jag säga att det är ett så hemskt språk ;)

I'm bilingual so for me that isn't a problem, mom is a Swedish speaking Finn while dad only knows Finnish so from birth I've been raised with 2 languages whitch I am very happy about :D

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
Guffe said:

I'm bilingual so for me that isn't a problem, mom is a Swedish speaking Finn while dad only knows Finnish so from birth I've been raised with 2 languages whitch I am very happy about :D
It's a needlessly complicated language. English is a far more organic and easier to learn language. Then again, Finnish kinda suck, too. In fact, most Scandinavian languages are like proprietary hardware connectors in a world that uses USB.

Vkmies

Oct 8, 2009
I remember signing this back when it was first made.

Happy to see it's getting so much publicity, the copyright laws here are goddamn insane.

Also: Hei vaan kaikille Suomalaisille täällä! Se on perkeleen hienoa että tämä sivu on näinkin maailmanlaajuisesti suosittu.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
Vkmies said:
Happy to see it's getting so much publicity, the copyright laws here are goddamn insane.
In what way(s)?
I'm not too much into the copyright things since I don't download stuff (believe it or not) and don't know too much 'bout them.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
Denamic said:
Guffe said:

It's a needlessly complicated language. English is a far more organic and easier to learn language. Then again, Finnish kinda suck, too. In fact, most Scandinavian languages are like proprietary hardware connectors in a world that uses USB.
Yeah well Finnish differs a lot from the rest of the Nordic language because it belongs to another family than Swedish, that's why Finns sound a bit awkward when they speak English.
Swedish again belongs to the same family as English and I find it a good thing to have spoken Swedish all my life since I think that also strengthens my English, I believe.

shirkbot

Apr 15, 2013
Guffe said:
Denamic said:
Guffe said:

Yeah well Finnish differs a lot from the rest of the Nordic language because it belongs to another family than Swedish, that's why Finns sound a bit awkward when they speak English.
Swedish again belongs to the same family as English and I find it a good thing to have spoken Swedish all my life since I think that also strengthens my English, I believe.
Swedish is actually a Germanic Language, putting it in the family alongside German, English and the various Scandinavian languages. Finnish, meanwhile, isn't an Indo-European language and as such doesn't have much commonality with anything else on the continent. My understanding is that it's somehow related to Hungarian, but I'm not 100% on that.

OT: Democracy is awesome when it actually allows the people to vote for themselves.

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
RicoADF said:
Baldr said:
The only problem is that copyright laws are not mandated by the laws of the state but also by International treaties.
International treaties don't overrule local law, they apply to citizens that have gone to other nations or someone who ran away to another nation, basically they are there to prevent someone circumventing another nations laws by crossing a boarder.
Finland was one of the signers of the "Vienna Convention on the Law of Treaties" (VCLT) and is subject to the UN and international law when it comes to enforcement of treaties. "A treaty shall be interpreted in good faith in accordance with the ordinary meaning to be given to the terms of the treaty in their context and in the light of its object and purpose." (article 31(1))

Considering that probably more than 95% of protected Intellectual Property does not belong to a Finnish citizens, these treaties are going to apply.

BlackStar42

Jan 23, 2010
Denamic said:
Guffe said:

Can't be as bad as learning German. So many grammar rules! From what I remember, at least Swedish doesn't have the du/sie thing going on. Does Swedish have genders for nouns?

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
BlackStar42 said:
Denamic said:
Guffe said:

Can't be as bad as learning German. So many grammar rules! From what I remember, at least Swedish doesn't have the du/sie thing going on. Does Swedish have genders for nouns?
I had 3 years of German classes, and yes, it's worse than German. As for the gender thing; generally no, but sometimes yes. The local dialect here often refer to things as 'he', or 'han' in Swedish, instead of 'den/det'. What's worse is how they pronounce it 'hän'. Fucking drives me insane.

Vkmies

Oct 8, 2009
Guffe said:
Vkmies said:
In what way(s)?
I'm not too much into the copyright things since I don't download stuff (believe it or not) and don't know too much 'bout them.
Though a really biased source, I think the actual petition highlights some of the ridiculous parts and problems our copyright laws have.

https://www.kansalaisaloite.fi/fi/aloite/70