Firaxis Reveals a "Real" X-Com Remake

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Firaxis Reveals a "Real" X-Com Remake

Firaxis is working on an all-new, all-different and all-strategy X-Com remake entitled XCom: Enemy Unknown.

It's fair to say that not everyone was thrilled by the news that Sid Meier's Civilization [http://www.amazon.com/X-COM-UFO-Defense-PC/dp/B00069WBKM/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1325781517&sr=8-6] and one or two other games you may have heard of, is bringing the series back for real.

As revealed by the February cover of Game Informer [http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2012/01/05/february-cover-revealed-xcom-enemy-unknown.aspx], the now-unhyphenated XCom: Enemy Unknown will bring the strategy classic back to life, "introducing a wider console audience to what made the storied franchise great in the first place." Enemy Unknown will be a "full-on strategy game" giving players command of a global military force battling invading enemies, keeping governments happy and the population reassured.

"It's been a dream of ours to recreate X-Com with our unique creative vision. We're huge fans of the original game and it's a once in a lifetime opportunity to re-envision a game that is as beloved as X-Com," said Firaxis Games President Steve Martin. "We were careful to keep XCom: Enemy Unknown true to the elements that made X-Com such a revered game while delivering an entirely new story and gameplay experience for both die-hard X-Com fans and newcomers to the franchise."

Isn't this exciting? I'm still looking forward to the XCom shooter and will enjoy it for what it is, but there's no getting around the fact that it's not really X-Com. And if sequels, remakes and "reimaginings" are what we're to be stuck with, then an X-Com do-over is long overdue.

Details will be thin until the February issue hits but it will reportedly include "destructible tactical environments," turn-based combat framed in a real-time strategic environment and a whole lot more. XCom: Enemy Unknown is slated to come out this fall for the PC, Xbox 360 and Playstation 3. I'm so excited!

Mar 30, 2010
This is good news indeed. Now Firaxis, when you've finished with X-Com could you please take a look at Syndicate? Cheers.

Retaining the turn-based combat should allow it to make a better impact on consoles as well. Realtime strategy and consoles are traditionally not the best of bedfellows, but if the combat is to remain turnbased then this could be one to watch.

kebab4you

Jan 3, 2010
:O For real? Fuck yes, I have big hopes in Firaxis.

That said I really hope the 2K Marine wakes up and fix their XCom version(A man can wish!).

Zakarath

Mar 23, 2009
Whoo, got something new to look forward to. Now just give it a clunky, incomprehensible user interface and it'll be perfect.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
I'm sorry, I have a bad feeling about this.

Now, I loved X-Com. I still even play it occasionally; despite what are quite low-resolution graphics by today's standards, it's still an amazingly deep and compelling experience.

But I'm finding it hard to envision a genuinely turn-based game selling on consoles. I'm having a difficult time imagining a console-controller based interface that would work well with turn-based mechanics; it's a problem that the "real-time strategy" genre has struggled hard to overcome on console systems as well.

I'm also wondering if some bright person might not try to "update" the series in ways that will dilute what made the originals so enjoyable, much as happened with the original series the first time around.

And I'm wondering if, despite all the uproar about the FPS XCom and everyone who professes their undying love for the originals, a new game might come out and, well, simply not get bought. It certainly wouldn't be the first time fan noise didn't translate to sales.

Believe me, I hope I'm wrong on every count.

Wolfrug

Feb 11, 2009
Ahmagash, awesome! SO EXCITING! Please, please, please, for the love of pete: make the environments destructible. I demand to get to blow up farmhouses with liberal overuse of explosives in revenge for killing my rookie with a reaction shot. Pleeeaase!

Meight08

*Insert Funny Title*
Feb 16, 2011
Andy Chalk said:
"introducing a wider console audience to what made the storied franchise great in the first place."

"XCom: Enemy Unknown is slated to come out this fall for the PC, Xbox 360 and Playstation 3.
ohhh dear ive been here long enough to know whats gonna happen its great that they are giving the old fans something but still im willing to bet some "hardcore" fans are gonna scream

1:NO! NOT A WIDER AUDIENCE!!!!!!!!! NOW ITS RUINED FOREVER!!!!!!!!!!
GIVE US A TRUE XCOM GAME!!!!!!!WITH A UI YOU NEED A SPREADSHEET TO OPERATE!!!!!! NOT SOMETHING STREAMLINED SO EVERYONE CAN ENJOY IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

or some "hardcore" pc gamers(the annoying type of harcore gamers who think of console gaming and gamers as inferior to pc gaming and gamers in every single way not the normal kind of pc gamers )
2:NO!!!!!!!!!!!! NOT A CONSOLE RELEASE MAKE IT PC EXCLUSIVE FOR REAL GAMERS!!!!!!
NOT FOR CONSOLE GAMING RETARDS!!!!!!!
NOW ITS RUINED FOREVER!!!!!!!!!!! IM GONNA PIRATE IT OUT OF PROTEST!!!!!! DERP
SERVES THEM RIGHT FOR ALSO TRYING TO GIVE GAMERS ON THE CONSOLES A CHANCE TO PLAY A GREAT GAME!!!!!

but the majority will hopefull say something along the lines of this at least i really really really hope so.
please?
3:nice now more people can play and enjoy this awesome series
and maybe it can be the best strategy game on a console since full spectrum warrior

And no before you push the report button this was not mean as insulting to either pc gamers i have seen some real douchebags on this site who said the same thing but about others games or series if you are really like the that you are the one who should be reported

theonecookie

Apr 14, 2009
Callate said:

Now, I loved X-Com. I still even play it occasionally; despite what are quite low-resolution graphics by today's standards, it's still an amazingly deep and compelling experience.

But I'm finding it hard to envision a genuinely turn-based game selling on consoles. I'm having a difficult time imagining a console-controller based interface that would work well with turn-based mechanics; it's a problem that the "real-time strategy" genre has struggled hard to overcome on console systems as well.

I'm also wondering if some bright person might not try to "update" the series in ways that will dilute what made the originals so enjoyable, much as happened with the original series the first time around.

And I'm wondering if, despite all the uproar about the FPS XCom and everyone who professes their undying love for the originals, a new game might come out and, well, simply not get bought. It certainly wouldn't be the first time fan noise didn't translate to sales.

Believe me, I hope I'm wrong on every count.
you are aware that there are loads of turn based strategy games on consoles right hell even x-com got a release on the psx and it worked fairly well

also what is it with all these old strategy games getting ,remade this is what the third game based on x-com jagged alliance is coming back and we have the cartel as well which is the syndicate remake

Sandytimeman

Brain Freeze...yay!
Jan 14, 2011
I feel that its relavent to display my own reaction to the new Xcom game they are releasing before this one.

Hopefully this remake will bring up back in line with the franchise

Antari

Music Slave
Nov 4, 2009
Well if any company would be able to do it right these days, Firaxis is it. Good to see a proper business decision. While I didn't like the way Civ went with the latest renditions on console and the sort, switching that model to the Xcom theme could make it work.

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
oh dear god please let this be good and work well on consoles(and sell well)
i think turn based games can work rather well, just use hexfields and various buttons to go into different menus and it should control good enough since there is no need to react quickly like in RTSs this could work

besides it's firaxis, those guys made alpha centauri

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
rolfwesselius said:
Andy Chalk said:
"introducing a wider console audience to what made the storied franchise great in the first place."

"XCom: Enemy Unknown is slated to come out this fall for the PC, Xbox 360 and Playstation 3.
ohhh dear ive been here long enough to know whats gonna happen its great that they are giving the old fans something but still im willing to bet some "hardcore" fans are gonna scream

1:NO! NOT A WIDER AUDIENCE!!!!!!!!! NOW ITS RUINED FOREVER!!!!!!!!!!
GIVE US A TRUE XCOM GAME!!!!!!!WITH A UI YOU NEED A SPREADSHEET TO OPERATE!!!!!! NOT SOMETHING STREAMLINED SO EVERYONE CAN ENJOY IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

or some "hardcore" pc gamers(the annoying type of harcore gamers who think of console gaming and gamers as inferior to pc gaming and gamers in every single way not the normal kind of pc gamers )
2:NO!!!!!!!!!!!! NOT A CONSOLE RELEASE MAKE IT PC EXCLUSIVE FOR REAL GAMERS!!!!!!
NOT FOR CONSOLE GAMING RETARDS!!!!!!!
NOW ITS RUINED FOREVER!!!!!!!!!!! IM GONNA PIRATE IT OUT OF PROTEST!!!!!! DERP
SERVES THEM RIGHT FOR ALSO TRYING TO GIVE GAMERS ON THE CONSOLES A CHANCE TO PLAY A GREAT GAME!!!!!

but the majority will hopefull say something along the lines of this at least i really really really hope so.
please?
3:nice now more people can play and enjoy this awesome series
and maybe it can be the best strategy game on a console since full spectrum warrior

And no before you push the report button this was not mean as insulting to either pc gamers i have seen some real douchebags on this site who said the same thing but about others games or series if you are really like the that you are the one who should be reported
Strategy games on the consoles tend to not do as well because strategy games pretty much require a mouse to even do the most basic things and they haven't found a around that (See: Endwar, Halo Wars). Expect an attempt at Kinect/Move controls that may work or may fall flat.

And while it is nice that we're getting a proper X-Com game, I'm still interested in the FPS after what little footage we got. Its setting and enemies made it stand out over other FPSs.
teebeeohh said:
besides it's firaxis, those guys made alpha centauri
Or as it's better known as: "Civilization in space"

Seriously, the only reason we haven't had another Alpha Centari game since it's first expansion is because someone sold the rights to it without thinking.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
What I find funny is that this new TBS Xcom game is actually now going to be coming out before the FPS version. If anything, that's what should have happened all along. Reinvigorate the franchise with a proper sequel/reboot and then, if it's popular, spin it off into other genres.

Callate said:

Just throwing this out there, but Final Fantasy Tactics and the Disgaea series are actually console exclusive turn based strategy games and are some of the most beloved (and well playing) turn based strategy games ever created. They may not have the menu minutia that XCom has, but there's no reason why the genre can't work on console. RTS, sure I get that, but TBS?

loudestmute

Oct 21, 2008
Before we get too excited, I'd like to ask everyone to first take a deep breath, let it out, and ask yourselves, "Where's our Covert Action remake?"

In all seriousness, couldn't imagine a better team to be working on the strategy game that wrecked my high school GPA. And an honest turn-based squad combat game that doesn't involve putting up with JRPG tropes? You'll have to sew my eyes shut to keep me from watching how this one comes out.

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
Andy Chalk said:
Details will be thin until the February issue hits but it will reportedly include "destructible tactical environments," turn-based combat framed in a real-time strategic environment and a whole lot more.
I believe this is in order:
And hey, even if they screw up this one (which I doubt) there's always Xenonauts coming out as well:

http://www.xenonauts.com/

It's suddenly a very good time to be an X-COM fan.

The Virgo

Jul 21, 2011
Right now we have:

X-COM the FPS.
Firaxis XCom
Xenonauts
Xenowars

There's about four or five XCom based games in development at the moment. All I want to know is: How did that happen? Was it something that happened in the collective unconsciousness and everybody got the same idea at the same time? Or did the FPS make everybody go, "Fuck that! We'll make a good XCOM!"?

Something to contemplate ...