Firaxis Reveals a "Real" X-Com Remake

Blind Sight

May 16, 2010
With this and Cartel, I'm incredibly happy and eagerly await both titles. I'm still slightly skeptical about the press release however, after 2k Marin's claims that they were 'huge fans of the series' and then talked about how they basically hated what made X-COM X-COM in their developer commentaries.

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
Anyone crying over the console release, please, whatever you do, don't call yourself hardcore, because you're not hardcore enough to remember the platforms the original X Com was released on.

Amiga
Amiga CD32
DOS
Windows
PlayStation

Nimzabaat

Feb 1, 2010
It would send a pretty strong message if the FPS X-Com bombs and the RTS XCom does well. I mean I know which way i'm voting with my dollars!

mdqp

Oct 21, 2011
Firaxis will develop it, and this is more than enough to make me look forward to this game. I must admit I never played the originals, but I heard nothing but good things about them, and Firaxis usually deliver wonderful games (is it just me that prefers Alpha Centauri to Civilizations, though? I liked everything about it, and I even felt that the diplomacy was better than current games, despite some saying it was unfair... Maybe I was just lucky?). Anyway, I hope to see this one out soon!

M0rp43vs

Most Refined Escapist
Jul 4, 2008
Not to be a sour puss but I'm suddenly having flashbacks to that fan megaman legends game being destroyed by capcom right before completion(I don't remember the exact details)

I dunno, could the 2k think nimzabaat^ is right and set to sabotage firaxis to get rid of competition?
(Though if they do believe that, that brings up the point on why they don't make it an RTS? Laziness perhaps?)

GrizzlerBorno

Sep 2, 2010
Why are my fellow PC gamers worried about this being "dumbed down"? It's fucking FIRAXIS we're talking about! Granted they over-simplified Civ5 quite a bit last year. But I mean it was still an intelligent, challenging game guys! No point over-reacting. *says that to inevitably no avail.

Apr 28, 2008
GrizzlerBorno said:
Why are my fellow PC gamers worried about this being "dumbed down"? It's fucking FIRAXIS we're talking about! Granted they over-simplified Civ5 quite a bit last year. But I mean it was still an intelligent, challenging game guys! No point over-reacting. *says that to inevitably no avail.
Plus, Civilization Revolution, their console Civilization game, was pretty fun.

So yeah, I'm more or less optimistic.

Pinguin

Aug 15, 2009
Raiyan 1.0 said:
Anyone crying over the console release, please, whatever you do, don't call yourself hardcore, because you're not hardcore enough to remember the platforms the original X Com was released on.
Bah, I had the original game on the Amiga (floppy disk version, of course.) Though I must admit to a little envy at the time of my friend's playstation version with its quick loading and flashy cutscenes. But then I wouldn't call myself 'hardcore' either.

I am intrigued by the prospect of a new game. It'd be very cool if they could capture the joy of the original. I somehow feel this isn't going to work out, though.

ResonanceSD

Guild Warrior
Legacy
Dec 14, 2009
Country
Australia
Awesome! Many many <3's and +1's go to Firaxis. Love their work with Civ!

targren

May 13, 2009
I find myself cautiously optimistic with this news, even though the games industry has seen fit to validate every curdled lump of cynicism I've developed over the last five years... Only one thing worries me...

Do they not realize that "Enemy Unknown" was the subtitle for the first game? Or is it intentionally trying to flare up the nostalgia? Or are we being trolled?

I think I need a Fry image macro here...

Meight08

*Insert Funny Title*
Feb 16, 2011
targren said:
I find myself cautiously optimistic with this news, even though the games industry has seen fit to validate every curdled lump of cynicism I've developed over the last five years... Only one thing worries me...

Do they not realize that "Enemy Unknown" was the subtitle for the first game? Or is it intentionally trying to flare up the nostalgia? Or are we being trolled?

I think I need a Fry image macro here...
the first game was called ufo: enemy unknown in europe and australia
and xcom:ufo defense in the states
so its a combination of the names of both releases
like the game will mix both old and new
or am i thinking too deep into this?

The3rdEye

Mar 19, 2009
A modern release of an old turn based strategy game, made by a studio whose bread and butter is TBS games...

God? This is you, right? Thank you! Sorry for all the blaspheming, really.

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
I really hope this comes off. I love turnbased strategy but its really not fashionable anymore.

Fingers crossed.

lancar

Aug 11, 2009
Hell
I'd pre-order this game right now if I could. It deserves it just for existing.

shadowform

Jan 5, 2009
Oh my god. The guys behind Civilization got their hands on the X-Com license?

I just imagined building bases in a Civilization-style universe with actual graphics and almost had to go change my pants.

Feb 13, 2008
Raiyan 1.0 said:

Amiga
Amiga CD32
DOS
Windows
PlayStation
Son, Rebelstar Raiders was the beginning of X-Com, and that was on the Speccy ;)

ReZerO

Mar 2, 2009
I remember playing the original e-com as a kid late at night and having to take a break every now and again because of how creepy it could get during the combat.
you think you have your troops in a good defensive formation?
NOPE! you forgot to check that one dark corner and POP! there is an alien there, now half of your team is dead...

Bostur

Mar 14, 2011
If anyone can do it right it will be Firaxis. I'm crossing my fingers and hoping it will happen.

My pessimistic side is a bit worried about the AI. Firaxis didn't do so well in Civ5 in that respect and it may be hard to spend a lot of development time on something that many players wont notice or care about.

Still awesome news. :)

I'm looking forward to Xenonauts as well, there is something about it that makes me feel they are getting it right.

Technocrat

Nov 19, 2008
Damn it, I was already being excited about Xenonauts, and now I have Sid Meier's X-Com to look forward to as well? Who ordered Christmas 2012 early?

Or is this a sign of the oncoming end of the world?