Fire Emblem: Awakening Review

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
Fire Emblem: Awakening Review

Fire Emblem returns to handheld after a long hiatus.

Read Full Article

Extasii

May 22, 2009
Oh no! Nonononono... I don't need a Nintendo 3DS sized bill to pay right now! Thank you for the review, but oh my goodness! My insides are twisting with indecision!

search_rip

Jan 6, 2009
in before "shut up and take my money!!!"... oh wait... :p hahaha :p so excited for this game, why monday can't come sooner? :p

Revnak_v1legacy

Fixed by "Monday"
Mar 28, 2010
PowCoJG said:
Oh no! Nonononono... I don't need a Nintendo 3DS sized bill to pay right now! Thank you for the review, but oh my goodness! My insides are twisting with indecision!
DO IT. BECOME ONE WITH THE FLAMES OF THE EMBLEM. *RIDICULOUS CULT GIBBERISH CHANTING*

OT- Glad to see this game get a review here, and a positive one too! However, it raises a fun game design question, is it a bad idea to make a game where you aren't the protagonist, but rather an important secondary character? Can this be a better choice in some ways? I can see the reason why. Think of how many books are narrarated by secondary characters, such as Sherlocke Holmes (I feel like one of those e's doesn't belong...). In many ways this allows for the protagonist's thoughts and motivations to be a mystery to us and to be revealed to us over time. It also fits quite well with the popular method of writing a character as a blank slate while still allowing there to be a defined character driving the plot. However, it removes the feeling that the player is driving the plot, which, unless accounted for, can ruin the feel of a game.

Theotherguy

Mar 15, 2011
Justin! My man! Good review. I'm so glad i bought the US 3ds, not the EU, I'll have it on the 4th from eshop, instead of waiting for it's EU release.

Okysho

Sep 12, 2010
Does that screenshot seriously say "You can call me Marth"? SERIOUSLY?! I'm having a bit of a fanboy-gasm right now.

Marth is my hero...

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
that's guy's only "named" after marth, or so he claims

i thought support actions only technically altered the order in which your units do things, not necessarily limit their actions

also, sometimes knights are just too strong for their own good so they end up stealing all the kills and this is a better way to use them as the armor clad jerks they are, but without overshadowing your units on foot lol

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
PowCoJG said:
Revnak said:
The original Fire Emblem for the GBA was a major part of my childhood :D
I just haven't had cash for a 3DS :/
Little Pet Peeve for me here but what you call the "original" FE was actualy the 7th, but just the first released in the west.

Revnak_v1legacy

Fixed by "Monday"
Mar 28, 2010
PowCoJG said:
Revnak said:
Meh. I came to terms with the fact that I would be getting a 3DS when this game was announced well over a year ago. When it came out in Japan I knew I had literally no other choice. However, I am glad I waited. Now I can get the fancy Fire Emblem 3DS. It is neat.

j0frenzy

Dec 26, 2008
I found out about this last week, thought about asking for a 3DS bundle for my birthday, looked up some stuff and decided this game might as well be a pass for me. Now I'm not so sure.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
Revnak said:
PowCoJG said:
DO IT. BECOME ONE WITH THE FLAMES OF THE EMBLEM. *RIDICULOUS CULT GIBBERISH CHANTING*

OT- Glad to see this game get a review here, and a positive one too! However, it raises a fun game design question, is it a bad idea to make a game where you aren't the protagonist, but rather an important secondary character? Can this be a better choice in some ways? I can see the reason why. Think of how many books are narrarated by secondary characters, such as Sherlocke Holmes (I feel like one of those e's doesn't belong...). In many ways this allows for the protagonist's thoughts and motivations to be a mystery to us and to be revealed to us over time. It also fits quite well with the popular method of writing a character as a blank slate while still allowing there to be a defined character driving the plot. However, it removes the feeling that the player is driving the plot, which, unless accounted for, can ruin the feel of a game.
I believe the GBA Fire Emblem had the player character as a tactical adviser and it worked pretty well.

Extasii

May 22, 2009
Eric the Orange said:
PowCoJG said:
Revnak said:
Little Pet Peeve for me here but what you call the "original" FE was actualy the 7th, but just the first released in the west.
Right. I just kind of failed to elaborate on that in my post. Apologies!

Extasii

May 22, 2009
Revnak said:
PowCoJG said:
Revnak said:
Meh. I came to terms with the fact that I would be getting a 3DS when this game was announced well over a year ago. When it came out in Japan I knew I had literally no other choice. However, I am glad I waited. Now I can get the fancy Fire Emblem 3DS. It is neat.
You and your monies... *shakes fist*
Well, hope you enjoy it! :D

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
Anyone else getting that un-easy feeling that FF's having a negative influence on FE? I don't mean in story/character traits but in character design. There seems to be a hell of alot more belts on display and why does the MC have one fully armoured arm and one thats completely bare. I know theres some fighting styles out there that use this but his right arms not even sleaved and why is Marth wearing a butterfly mask, were there no bandanas on hand? I know this complaints petty but I liked the practicality of the previous games weapons and armour and I don't want it to fall into FF's design choices, you know, bigger/more elaborate the better. Soldiers have to be practical, I know its fantasy but stupid is stupid,

Revnak_v1legacy

Fixed by "Monday"
Mar 28, 2010
PowCoJG said:
Revnak said:
PowCoJG said:
Revnak said:
You and your monies... *shakes fist*
Well, hope you enjoy it! :D
I plan on getting it once I have monies. I do not right now.

Revnak_v1legacy

Fixed by "Monday"
Mar 28, 2010
-Dragmire- said:
Revnak said:
PowCoJG said:

I believe the GBA Fire Emblem had the player character as a tactical adviser and it worked pretty well.
No, it didn't work well because they did next to nothing with it. Occasionally a main character would look at the screen and say a couple things dirrectly to you. That's about it. These occasions were also given next to no meaning by any other part of the game. You were the least important character essentially, which is not really a significant change in design and is in many ways essentially not a change at all considering the responsibilities and traits of your tactician in that game are essentially the same as the ones you have when that character is absent.

Revnak_v1legacy

Fixed by "Monday"
Mar 28, 2010
PunkRex said:
Anyone else getting that un-easy feeling that FF's having a negative influence on FE? I don't mean in story/character traits but in character design. There seems to be a hell of alot more belts on display and why does the MC have one fully armoured arm and one thats completely bare. I know theres some fighting styles out there that use this but his right arms not even sleaved and why is Marth wearing a butterfly mask, were there no bandanas on hand? I know this complaints petty but I liked the practicality of the previous games weapons and armour and I don't want it to fall into FF's design choices, you know, bigger/more elaborate the better. Soldiers have to be practical, I know its fantasy but stupid is stupid,
Technically the art designer is stealing from No More Heroes, because he was an art designer for No More Heroes. And Speed Grapher. Really, the designs are just more seinen and video gamey, not necessarily more like FF.